Poll: Which Germanic country/region has stayed most true to its heritage?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Germanic Nation Excels Presently/Has Stayed Truest to Its Heritage?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    German Empire German Empire
    Single adult
    Politics
    Reactionary
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Which Germanic nation excels presently?

I have said it before and I will say it again: Please avoid discussions that are off-topic! This is not a thread on Germanic linguistics.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Another place I'd like to add, which is not a Germanic nation but rather a part of it: North-Eastern Germany, minus Brandenburg-Berlin. The Mecklenburg area in particular.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordgau View Post
    What do you mean with "Middle Germanic"? Germanic is divided in North Germanic, West Germanic and East Germanic (extinct).
    I should've said Middle German, the strip in the middle of Germany:

I know that the tongue's own name is "Lëtzebuergesch". That, however, means nothing else than "Luxemburgish", and "Luxemburgish" is one of the common designations for that language in English; just as one speaks of "Faroese" when meaning a language with the own name "føroyskt".
    False. People in the case of lingually and ethnically divided nations often speak of the languages by their literal names. For example: Urdū, in the case of Pakistan, because there's no language called "Pakistani."

Yes, more than once.
    Which places did you visit?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Telecommunications
    Politics
    Libertarian/Neo-Imperialist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Euhesperides View Post
    I have said it before and I will say it again: Please avoid discussions that are off-topic! This is not a thread on Germanic linguistics.
    Would you mind clarifying your original post a bit?

There's been at least this confusion about it:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leofric
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordgau
    Regarding that discussion on the English language ... I'm not sure if I get it right, since he has refrained from clarifying or correcting something, but looking at the thread opener's formulation: "Which Germanic nation state or ethnic region in a multi-lingual state in Europe ..."--Doesn't he rather speak here of ethnic Germanic regions within the current multi-lingual states in Europe (e. g. Flanders in Belgium) than of a future pan-European multi-lingual greater state?
    That could be. The sentence as crafted is structurally ambiguous, so it would allow both interpretations equally well.

Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll pose his question more clearly!
    Much of the discussion of linguistics has been because of a post that followed a particular reading of the original post. If that reading was a message you did not intend to convey with the original post, it'd be great if you could let us know! If you state your original question more clearly, we can all more easily stay on the topic you intended. Otherwise, you'll probably have to deal with discussions that seem to veer away from what you were driving at.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 11:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aistulf View Post
    False. People in the case of lingually and ethnically divided nations often speak of the languages by their literal names. For example: Urdū, in the case of Pakistan, because there's no language called "Pakistani."
    All I was saying that in English the term "Luxemburgish" for "Lëtzebuergesch" is neither wrong nor uncommon. The objection that the usage of the language's own name--which is generally, I'd say, something that Europeans tend to do primarily with far-off exotic languages--may guard against misunderstandings, as demonstrated for the case of Pakistan and Urdū, carries per se some weight, but with the use of "Luxemburgish" I don't see so greatly space for misunderstandings opened or fine differences leveled, since on the one side "Lëtzebuergesch" means anything nothing else but "Luxemburgish" in Luxemburgish, and on the other side the nature of lingual division is in Luxemburg a different one than in Pakistan. While in Pakistan the lingual-ethnical division is vertical, with different lingual-ethnical groups living territorally more or less divided from each other within one state, the lingual "division" is a horizontal one in Luxemburg: with the dialectal substratum of Mosel-Frankish, standardized and acknowledged as Luxemburgish, for daily speech, standard German as main standard language, for writing and reading, and French as lingual superstratum of certain importance in the sphere of high culture and office. Luxemburgish thus is anyway spoken in the whole country.

Which places did you visit?
    The capital mainly, and a few places on the Mosel. Only short visits.

Speaking of the question of the presence of immigrants there and how much Luxemburg excels with respect to that ("excelling" of course can only mean the absence of the named group), when coming back to the thread's topic: In Luxemburg city I used to notice more than few Arabs, Negroes and similar stuff. But due to its importance as business, financial and political centre, settig up equations with the situation in the whole country would go astray without doubt. And I couldn't say how much of those kind of people one sees on the streets there are permanent-residence immigrants, such who already now plan not to leave the country anymore, and how many are such who only are there as guest workers or businessmen. However, in Luxemburg city one can see not few extra-Europeans in "lower" service professions, such like selling food and so. An unpleasant impression did the view of a kindergarten group or elementary school class leave to me which was padded with little Negroes and Arab-looking rascals. But maybe that was an international school or something for diplomats or businessmen; I couldn't say. Portuguese are an immigrant group of considerable importance, as far as I know, in the industrial regions.
    Man ſei Held oder Heiliger. In der Mitte liegt nicht die Weisheit, ſondern die Alltäglichkeit.

SPENGLER

Last Online
    Thursday, September 3rd, 2009 @ 12:53 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Nordgau View Post
    All I was saying that in English the term "Luxemburgish" for "Lëtzebuergesch" is neither wrong nor uncommon.
    You're right, I was a bit nitpicking.

The capital mainly, and a few places on the Mosel. Only short visits.
    Fascinating city isn't it? I loved the standstone bridge and the Kasematten-complexes.

Speaking of the question of the presence of immigrants there and how much Luxemburg excels with respect to that ("excelling" of course can only mean the absence of the named group), when coming back to the thread's topic: In Luxemburg city I used to notice more than few Arabs, Negroes and similar stuff.
    I was there in 2002 and it was far less worse! Terrible to hear this. I think I only saw a few Turks, and one Turkish kebab-shop in Luxemburg city.

However, in Luxemburg city one can see not few extra-Europeans in "lower" service professions, such like selling food and so. An unpleasant impression did the view of a kindergarten group or elementary school class leave to me which was padded with little Negroes and Arab-looking rascals.
    Reading this saddens me greatly...

But maybe that was an international school or something for diplomats or businessmen; I couldn't say. Portuguese are an immigrant group of considerable importance, as far as I know, in the industrial regions.
    Yes, I've noticed a lot of Portugese in several places; or whatever they were, but they were from Portugal (it was even mentioned in the travel brochure that you could find them there). I still don't know why Portugese, in the Netherlands there aren't any or surely not as many or [relatively] in those numbers.

Some looked swarthy and hung around on town squares, but they - surprisingly enough - still did conform to Luxemburgian traditions; such as the eating of sausages on some national holiday, which were a bit like Bratwürste (and rather tasty).

Last Online
    Thursday, March 30th, 2017 @ 06:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German and English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    mtDNA
    H
    Country
    Prussia Prussia
    State
    Teutonic Order Teutonic Order
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Ethnocentrism
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Germany and Iceland because of racial purity and good culture, economics do not a nation make...

Last Online
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007 @ 11:29 AM
    Subrace
    nordiſch-weſtiſch
    Single
    Politics
    Volk und Raſſe
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aistulf View Post
    I was there in 2002 and it was far less worse! Terrible to hear this. I think I only saw a few Turks, and one Turkish kebab-shop in Luxemburg city.
    Walking along in some side-roads in the inner city in the evening, Luxemburg city here and there didn't seem to be much different than downtowns in the FRG to me, when it comes to the presence of immigrants on the scene. But, as said, it isn't easy to categorize the concrete immigration situation in Luxemburg.

On the whole, among all Germanic states, Luxemburg probably still comes off best after Liechtenstein and Iceland (if one doesn't count the Faroese as an own country) with respect to the immigration problem. On the other side, scoring better than racial hellholes like the United Kingdom, the FRG or the Netherlands is not really a bravura.
    Man ſei Held oder Heiliger. In der Mitte liegt nicht die Weisheit, ſondern die Alltäglichkeit.

SPENGLER

Lost in Melancholia
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

AW: Which Germanic nation excels presently?

Iceland, Finnlandsweden and Deutschschweiz (especially Graubünden).

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: AW: Which Germanic nation excels presently?

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
    Iceland, Finnlandsweden and Deutschschweiz (especially Graubünden).

Lovely words that I prefer

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts

Which Germanic Nation Excels Presently/Has Stayed Most True to Its Heritage?

This question has been bugging me for a while. Now I think it's obvious that our countries are screwed up, some beyond reason. What I'm wondering is, which of all Germanic countries (or regions) has stayed most true to its heritage and it least corrupted? My guess would be the Scandinavian countries/Iceland, though I hear in Sweden it's pretty messed up as it is... liberals and the like. Another answer could be some of the Germanic enclaves... since they're Germanics in a sea of non-Germanics, they've been forced to keep their traditions alive. Some still wear their traditional costumes and live in isolation, see the Amish for example. I hear it's not so sweel with the Volga Germans... some have just a great-great-great-great German grandfather and rip the German govt off by it. eyes: A last answer would be South Africa. The Afrikaners are getting a hard time from the black South Africans but they're still not giving up... or are they?
    Whatcha think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast