Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 119

Thread: Countries with a Germanic Influence?

  1. #41
    Senior Member Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Gender
    Posts
    537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    My point was that the most Germanic influenced non-Germanic countries (I use althings definition) are Finland & Ireland. That's the correct answer. I gave a special notion to France, Poland and Tyrol. You started the fuss, wannabe. Your little brains thought they could challenge me. Ofcourse such a little country and folk as Finns and Finland have more genetic input from Germanics than French. In the case of France and Italy you can speak of certain regions, not the Germanicness on them as a whole.
    The German-speaking region of South Tyrol is more Germanic than both Finland and Ireland as a whole, given that these people are nothing but German. But they live in a Romance country, so I understand it is inconceivable for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germanic_Europe

    I don't see France in that map. In the end it comes to this, Let everyone decide who is more Germanic the Finns or the French
    This map places South Tyrol, where some 35% of the population is Germanic, at the same level than Finland (where 6% are Germanic) and Ireland, where (almost) everyone speaks English but feel and act Celtic. Interesting fact, it totally ignores Estonia. The map means next to nothing on these peripherally Germanic lands, and would have been better without this blue color. By the way, who did it and what does it mean by Germanic? It appears from time to time but no one ever claimed a source.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Never though you have.
    What does that mean?


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Wrong again, 6% Finnish people are Germanic. However, if you mean Fenno-Ugrian Finns, no, they are not Germanics linguistically, genetically they are heavily influenced by Germanics, culturally the country is fully Germanic, not Finnic.
    Right, then you talk only about the State about a minority of the country, this is why I opposed your view of "The country named Finland is Germanic". Something I already wrote on here:8) I am quite sure most of the board believe that a "Germanic country" can hardly inhabit a non-Germanic majority. Maybe a Germanic State (if you have a very rigid, unorganic definition of a State), but not country.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Good, finally you are showing hard facts to back your claims. No, you are not dark and hairy Dwarf as many of your kinmen. I don't have a blond fetish, that went on a thin air after I saw the picture of my great grandmothers raven black-hair and brown eyes, she was a full blown Tydal Cro-Magnid, thank god she is only 1/8 of me
    Good that reality sometimes forces you to regain your sanity.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Lissu is one little sad figure. So much of talk but when you ask her to recite historical sources or scientific studies all you get is silence. Many patriots often live in fallacy world characterized distorded view on their history. She reminds of many Polish and Russian posters I've encountered during my time in the anthro community: hopelessly anti-Germanic denying every achievement brought to her country by them + She's watched too much of Braveheart. (Please, do not mention her, she's no author and would be most likely banging shaman drums in Lappland if it wasn't for the western civilization brought by the Swedes)
    I hate resentment, I feel it on a daily basis in my secessionist collegues and al., and I know how patriots can be silly, but it is still awkward to claim Germanicness for a non-Germanic majority country. According to your definition, the province of Québec is full-blown Germanic because it stands in a Anglo-British "Germanic" country called Canada. But it is not: the language is not Germanic, and most folks don't feel like it. But the sterile concept of the political existence of Québec is "Germanic", there is a sizeable minority of important English-speakers here too. But it's silly to say that it's a "Germanic country".

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Has someone claimed Finns are Germanic? This thread is about Germanic influences on people and nations. Fenno-Ugrian Finns cannot be Germanic since they are too busy being Fenno-Ugrians, however that does not mean they are not living in a Germanic society. Finland, the country was based and established by Germanic people in Germanic language. That's an incondested fact. So far the Finns haven't changed the political and legistlative institutions and the official status of Swedish language, the country remains Germanic.
    You dissociate country with folk (94% of the folk, that is), and this is quite an outcast conception.
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 7th, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Gender
    Posts
    70
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    This map places South Tyrol, where some 35% of the population is Germanic, at the same level than Finland (where 6% are Germanic)
    I think that percentage could refer to the whole administrative region of Trentino-Alto Adige, which however includes the Romance area of Trentino together with South Tyrol proper.

    The latter (which we call Alto Adige, 'higher course of the Etsch'), corresponds to the province of Bolzano-Bozen alone, and shows a German-speaking majority of 70%.

  3. #43
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Gender
    Family
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    The German-speaking region of South Tyrol is more Germanic than both Finland and Ireland as a whole, given that these people are nothing but German. But they live in a Romance country, so I understand it is inconceivable for you.
    I was speaking on a country level, not about certain regions within a country. Finland's Åland island is 99% Germanic (way more Germanic than Sweden itself) and it's sole official language is Swedish, it doesn't have a second language. Obviously way more Germanic than Tyrol. Now matter how do you look at this, I win the debate simply because I have history by my side.





    This map places South Tyrol, where some 35% of the population is Germanic, at the same level than Finland (where 6% are Germanic) and Ireland, where (almost) everyone speaks English but feel and act Celtic. Interesting fact, it totally ignores Estonia. The map means next to nothing on these peripherally Germanic lands, and would have been better without this blue color. By the way, who did it and what does it mean by Germanic? It appears from time to time but no one ever claimed a source.
    Estonia is not a Germanic country, however Estonians are heavily altered by Germanics more than French or Italians for the sole fact that Estonians are so small population where even a tiny bit of admixture will result in big impact on genepool. Had there been ten or more Negroes in Estonia few thousands of years ago half of contemporary Estonians would today show Negroid markers in their genotype.

    What does that mean?
    It means that I am not surprised that you are not familiar with genetics.



    Right, then you talk only about the State about a minority of the country, this is why I opposed your view of "The country named Finland is Germanic". Something I already wrote on here:8) I am quite sure most of the board believe that a "Germanic country" can hardly inhabit a non-Germanic majority. Maybe a Germanic State (if you have a very rigid, unorganic definition of a State), but not country.
    As so often you are wrong, South-Africa is included on the board, not sure have you ever heard about the country since your ancestors are not from there.



    I hate resentment, I feel it on a daily basis in my secessionist collegues and al., and I know how patriots can be silly, but it is still awkward to claim Germanicness for a non-Germanic majority country. According to your definition, the province of Québec is full-blown Germanic because it stands in a Anglo-British "Germanic" country called Canada. But it is not: the language is not Germanic, and most folks don't feel like it. But the sterile concept of the political existence of Québec is "Germanic", there is a sizeable minority of important English-speakers here too. But it's silly to say that it's a "Germanic country".
    I've stated my arguments and I can back when ever I want with historical sources.

    You dissociate country with folk (94% of the folk, that is), and this is quite an outcast conception.
    1)Now, no one is outcasted in the country. 3) Like said Germanics have build the country 3) The share of Fenno-Swedes in Finland has dramatically decreased due intermarriages, Fennoswedish flight to Sweden. In the early 19th century we made over 15% of the popula, in the 17th the figure was more than 20%.


    Knowing that you are not the sharpest member on the board. I state once more, the most Germanic influenced non-Germanic people and country (althings definition) is Finland together with Ireland

  4. #44
    Senior Member Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Gender
    Posts
    537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    I was speaking on a country level, not about certain regions within a country. Finland's Åland island is 99% Germanic (way more Germanic than Sweden itself) and it's sole official language is Swedish, it doesn't have a second language. Obviously way more Germanic than Tyrol. Now matter how do you look at this, I win the debate simply because I have history by my side.

    The debate is about wheter Finland is a Germanic country. You follow me? Aaland islands is a semi-autonomous archipelago under Finnish administration. Not the typical Finnish region. That's irrelevant. If you want to talk about entire countries, don't go in the direction I took with South-Tyrol (inhabitants of this land are Germanic, as much as Finno-Ugric Finns are not Germanic).


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Estonia is not a Germanic country, however Estonians are heavily altered by Germanics more than French or Italians for the sole fact that Estonians are so small population where even a tiny bit of admixture will result in big impact on genepool. Had there been ten or more Negroes in Estonia few thousands of years ago half of contemporary Estonians would today show Negroid markers in their genotype.
    Right, but it's not sufficient to be included into your almighty map (source?). You see Germanic influence doesn't necessarily have to be linguistic or political, as Estonia shows.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    It means that I am not surprised that you are not familiar with genetics.
    I am fairly interested in genetics, and your knowledge on this science unlikely totally supersedes mine, though of course you know more than I do about Finlandssvensk genetics.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    As so often you are wrong, South-Africa is included on the board, not sure have you ever heard about the country since your ancestors are not from there.
    The Afrikaner nation is included, and issues discussed on the South-African forums are centered around the Europid minority. Germanic Europid minority in a non-Germanic country, as in your beloved (or hated?) Finland.


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    I've stated my arguments and I can back when ever I want with historical sources.
    Is Québec germanic? I got tons of historical sources on this topic. "History backs me" lol!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    1)Now, no one is outcasted in the country. 3) Like said Germanics have build the country 3) The share of Fenno-Swedes in Finland has dramatically decreased due intermarriages, Fennoswedish flight to Sweden. In the early 19th century we made over 15% of the popula, in the 17th the figure was more than 20%.
    1) When an adjective precedes a noun, it refers to it, Peter. Your conception is outcast, that is some members on this board shares it but most don't (it would be interesting to cast a poll, I'll do it). I did not talked about Finland in this sentence.

    2) (2 follows 1, not 3) Anglo-British say this here too, but they were merchants and the real builders were French-Canadians. Did the Swedes themselves built Finland, or were they only a ruling class?

    3) Same goddamn thing here. Many Anglos fled to the West. Their absence lessens the Germanic character of Québec for sure. Unless Finns now all learn Swedish and speak it on a daily basis (as it is the case with Ireland), same things applies for Finland. Less Germanics = an even less Germanic country, don't you agree?

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Knowing that you are not the sharpest member on the board. I state once more, the most Germanic influenced non-Germanic people and country (althings definition) is Finland together with Ireland
    Great to see you changed your opinion and now admit Finland is not a Germanic country. Now I can agree with you. Unless you just messed up your sentence?
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 7th, 2011 @ 06:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Gender
    Posts
    70
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Estonia is not a Germanic country, however Estonians are heavily altered by Germanics more than French or Italians
    Well and good, but we're not trying to pose as Germanics by appealing to Tyroleans and Alsatians, which we aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat
    Obviously way more Germanic than Tyrol.
    Just keep in mind that we've snatched only its southern half. We may reunite it in the next war, if you wish :p

    Now seriously, I expressed my opinion on the subject in an earlier post.

  6. #46
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Dagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Posts
    2,097
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    76
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Now matter how do you look at this, I win the debate simply because I have history by my side.
    Putting things in bold betrays some level of insecurity.
    Now please stop spamming my thread with "Finland is Germanic" propaganda. It is not desired here. This forum doesn't consider Finland Germanic (perhaps because it's not Germanic eyes. Deal with it or shut up please. Didn't you read Raven's post? This is not what this forum is for. Stop pushing agendas here please.


    Die Sonne scheint noch.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 @ 02:49 PM
    Age
    36
    Posts
    51
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    Putting things in bold betrays some level of insecurity.
    Now please stop spamming my thread with "Finland is Germanic" propaganda. It is not desired here. This forum doesn't consider Finland Germanic (perhaps because it's not Germanic eyes. Deal with it or shut up please. Didn't you read Raven's post? This is not what this forum is for. Stop pushing agendas here please.
    No one is pushing any agendas here. And please, until you are actually a mod could you refrain from acting like one.

    The debate about the influence of germanics in France, Finland and Estonia has been fruitful and according to the topic. The debate about FInland being a germanic country is a bit offtopic and maybe started from my tongue in cheek claim on the second page of this thread "one could argue that Finland is indeed a germanic state which has an ungermanic majority of citizens. " Technically one could very well argue for the fact that Finland as a country is germanic though it is misleading since the majority of the inhabitants aren't germanic. The basis for the argument has been repeated so many times that I won't do it again. But just to clarify once more, it's just a philosophical argument and depends largely on one's own vision of a country.

  8. #48
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Gender
    Family
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurtz View Post
    The debate is about wheter Finland is a Germanic country. You follow me? Aaland islands is a semi-autonomous archipelago under Finnish administration. Not the typical Finnish region. That's irrelevant. If you want to talk about entire countries, don't go in the direction I took with South-Tyrol (inhabitants of this land are Germanic, as much as Finno-Ugric Finns are not Germanic).
    And Tyrol is a typical Italian region? You are such buffoon. It's nice talk with you though. Cannot but laugh. Like said I've never spoke about certain regions, unlike you. I am speaking this topic on a country level. Nothing has changed Finland more Germanic influenced than France and Italy. I don't know about Tyrol but if the region is linguistically Germanic and population shows more affinities with Central European Germanics and their Mediterranian buddies in the south, then it certainly is Germanic, not more than Åland island that's for sure though.



    Is Québec germanic? I got tons of historical sources on this topic. "History backs me" lol!
    Intellectually dishonest claim. I don't even bother to comment



    Great to see you changed your opinion and now admit Finland is not a Germanic country. Now I can agree with you. Unless you just messed up your sentence?
    Yup, cognitively challenged, you'r such a joker and desperately wannabe.
    I was reciting Althing's stance which I clearly addressed. Finland is clearly is regarded as Germanic country by many which the map I posted shows unlike France or Italy. I've said everything I need to say I don't need to go anymore this topic with people docile and stubborn as five years olds.

  9. #49
    Account Inactive
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Gender
    Family
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    Putting things in bold betrays some level of insecurity.
    Now please stop spamming my thread with "Finland is Germanic" propaganda. It is not desired here. This forum doesn't consider Finland Germanic (perhaps because it's not Germanic eyes. Deal with it or shut up please. Didn't you read Raven's post? This is not what this forum is for. Stop pushing agendas here please.
    Propaganda, are you on crack?


    We are debating in a thread about Germanic input of different non-Germanic folk. I believe it's very justifiable to include Finns in the discussion after all over 30% of the etnic-Finns of Finland can trace their direct paternal to Sweden. Same goes by culture, Finnic culture does not show in the political, religious, admistrative, educational institutions of the country, just as Negroid, Italian or Polish culture does not show in the institions of USA despite many Americans can trace their ancestry to those particular countries, why? Because the country is Germanic, not Italian, Polish or African.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Kurtz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Gender
    Posts
    537
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    LOL Your answers contain less and less genuine arguments and more and more insults. Are you tired, Peter? That would explain your...unclear?..writing style.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    And Tyrol is a typical Italian region? You are such buffoon. It's nice talk with you though. Cannot but laugh. Like said I've never spoke about certain regions, unlike you. I am speaking this topic on a country level. Nothing has changed Finland more Germanic influenced than France and Italy. I don't know about Tyrol but if the region is linguistically Germanic and population shows more affinities with Central European Germanics and their Mediterranian buddies in the south, then it certainly is Germanic, not more than Åland island that's for sure though.
    YOU talk about Germanic influence on a WHOLE COUNTRY called Finland (sufficient to call Finland Germanic, according to your views, which is the core of the problem), while I'm more more moderate in telling certain regions and countries in Europe and N-America are non-Germanic but influenced to different level and on different faces. And Tyrol is downright Germanic, not more or less than Aaland islands because they're incorporated in a Romance state or because they look less Teutonic!


    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Intellectually dishonest claim. I don't even bother to comment
    Please inform me in which way it is. This is totally relevant in this forum, which is about Germanic influence on non-Germanic "ethnicities, cultures, countries and locations world-wide".

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Yup, cognitively challenged, you'r such a joker and desperately wannabe.
    What do I "wannabe"? If someone here wants to be someone or something he isn't, it has to be you. I know you must feel alien surrounded by Finno-Ugrians, but you could still move to Sweden.

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    I was reciting Althing's stance which I clearly addressed. Finland is clearly is regarded as Germanic country by many which the map I posted shows unlike France or Italy.
    LOL x 1000! Goddamn Finland is considered peripherally Germanic by your little linguistic map. You know why? Because it is.
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Which Countries Are Germanic?
    By matt in forum Questions About Germanics
    Replies: 354
    Last Post: Friday, November 23rd, 2018, 06:19 PM
  2. Germanic Myths/Sagas and Their Influence on Modern Popculture
    By Feyn in forum Cosmology & Mythology
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Tuesday, February 28th, 2012, 01:38 PM
  3. East Germanic Influence
    By Rik in forum Germanic Diaspora, Enclaves, & Influences
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sunday, March 29th, 2009, 03:09 PM
  4. Country with Germanic Influence (Visigothic)
    By Europa in forum Germanic Diaspora, Enclaves, & Influences
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Sunday, February 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •