View Poll Results: Is the concept of ubermensch...

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, only to the Germanic Peoples

2 22.22%
  • Yes, but with occasional exceptions

0 0%
  • No, it is appliable to all

6 66.67%
  • No, it's a bunch of rubbish

1 11.11%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Opinions on Nietzsche's Overman (Übermensch)

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    i don't really believe in the notion of a super human being as I feel this hedonistic approach to life discredits the more substantial functions of living. Dominant traits are necessary to ensure one's own livelihood as well as their progeny but beyond that everything has diminishing returns. Bigger does not always mean better.

The problem with Nietzsche's ubermench is that he integrated man's more admirable traits but left out the lesser appreciated one's and, in the end, the philosophical ubermench is incomplete. Julius Evola devotes a fair amount to this subject in his book "Ride the Tiger: A Survival Guide for the Aristocrat of the Soul". For me, that book was life changing, and that's not the first time I have said that.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 8th, 2010 @ 04:32 PM
    Ethnicity
    russian/spanish
    Ancestry
    spain, russia
    Subrace
    atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sometimes i think that "man is something that must not exist at all" due to progressive degradation and natural malice of human being. I suppose Schopenhauers ans Linkola (finish philosopher) thoughts about human nature is more realistic and objective in thise sence. The other fundamental problem of modern society IMO is the overpopulation and extermination of natural resources of our planet. Psicologicaly I think the modern human is "dead", after all because today does not exist "individual selfidentification", all
    boundary are unclear and and all is mixt wit all. So I look pessimistic into the future and don"t see any gate out of this situation. Thats why i think is almost impossible to create ubermensh in this conditions of today. The only one thing we can do is trying to become perfect through selfdevelopment. So I agree with Boshe in what is related to the "man".

Last Online
    Friday, April 20th, 2012 @ 09:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/English
    Ancestry
    Scotland and England
    Subrace
    Nordid/Bruenn
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    DeFacto Relationship
    Occupation
    IT Analyst
    Politics
    Ride the Tiger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Self-initiated evolution over ones impulses, emotions, weaknesses, ego, animalistic tendencies etc.

It's a victory over ones self to attain a higher form, an inner struggle and quest to be above humanity, to be above the norm. I have to agree I prefer Evola’s concepts in regards to transcendence however. But the Ubermensch is very interesting none the less.
    "For the authentic revolutionary conservative, what really counts is to be faithful not to past forms and institutions, but rather to principles of which such forms and institutions have been particular expressions, adequate for a specific period of time and in a specific geographical area." Julius Evola - Men Among the Ruins

Last Online
    Saturday, January 16th, 2010 @ 02:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid
    State
    Alsace-Lorraine Alsace-Lorraine
    Family
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would not say about it as long as there is only "Übermensche", to God belongs any power, we are only instruments of this one although our divine essence allows us to win this power on his behalf.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 02:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MockTurtle View Post

...Still, one of the things that is unclear for many people is the precise type of individual that Nietzsche had in mind. Is it a Napoleon type (actually referenced by him a number of times) who is capable of creating new values through military might? Or, is it a Goethe type, someone who is capable of developing a new worldview through the avenues of artistic expression? Or perhaps it's both, as in the famous 'artist-tyrant' concept?
    I think that for Nietzsche, the type of individual in mind could be one, all, or a combination of those things. The path to the overman is reliant upon progression through the famous "camel, lion, child" stages and might be different for each individual. The important factor is that the individual has absorbed the old traditions, has freed himself from those traditions, and has begun to create new traditions in accordance with his/her will.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Well, nobody has spoken about the Nazis. Dagna probably did not intend this to come up in her original post but the Nazis had something to say on the subject. We can talk about it if anyone is interested.

To start, Hitler himself mentions the Superman. This came from a reprint of Hermann Rauschning's Conversations with Hitler but deleted from the German language version. It is a chapter titled Hitler Private. This episode was printed by Detlev Rose in his book Thule Gesellschaft. A friend was very interested in this episode so I attempted to translate it into English. Hermann Raushning was an early Nazi who was rewarded by Hitler with a post as Danzig Senate President in 1934. Hitler visited Rauschning and stayed in his house overnight. Hitler really wierded Rauschning out. He sets the scene and describes what took place on night:

"Someone in hs close surroundings has reported to me: he wakes up at night with crying convulsions. He calls for help. On the corner of the bed he sits, unable to move. He shakes with fear so that the whole bed vibrates. He expels entangled, completely unintelligible words. He gasped as if he ere suffocating".

Rauschning continues:

"The man told me a scene which I wolud not have believed if it had not come from such a source. Reeling, he stood before me in a room, looking around in confusion. "He! He! He is there" he said, choking. The lips were blue. Never before had the sweat poured out of him. Suddenly, he began repeating numbers. Completely senseless. single words and broken sentences. It sounded terrible. He used remarkably composed word formation, very strange."

Rauschning continues:

"Then, again, he stood still and the lips moved. One would have thought him detached. One would have thought him imbued with drink. Then, suddenly, he bellowed out, 'There, there in the corner! Who stands there?' He stamped his foot, and cried as he was accustomed to doing. He was shown that nothing unusual was present and gradually he calmed himself down."

Now, having set the scene, Rauschning comes to the meat of the story, quoting Hitler:

"The Superman (Uebermensch) already lives among us! (unter uns). he is here. i have seen the New Man. He is fearless, cruel."

Parenthesis are mine. Alternatively, it could be translated "He is fearless, inhuman."

There is no doubt that the concept of the Superman was taken over by the Nazis and that to the Nazis this was not abstract, wishful thinking but something for which they were preparing.

On the downside of this story, Rauschning defected to Switzerland and then to England. Some have suggested his recounting of Hitler was just wartime anti-Nazi propaganda.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 11:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germany (Hessen, Prussia, Bavaria)
    Subrace
    Faelid - Subnordid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    preservationist, ethnocentrist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There's no Übermensch or a super-human nor a super-animal.
    Just that all races and species are adapted to different enviornments.
    Change it and another type is superior.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 @ 09:18 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Albion
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Investigator of Souls
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic Nationalist
    Religion
    Runosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatte View Post
    There's no Übermensch or a super-human nor a super-animal.
    Just that all races and species are adapted to different enviornments.
    Change it and another type is superior.
    Traditional societies posit a non-human Presence that is far superior to the human - this can be called the super-human, or over-human.
    Humans can only get a glimpse of the Presence, and yet it dominates and directs the destiny of all things, including the human.

Nietzsche's Ubermensch could be seen as a way of bringing this traditional mind-set back amongst degenerate, secular man.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, July 5th, 2009 @ 08:20 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't think anyone can be beyond suffering and pleasure. It's an utopian ideal, not a very realistic one, depends on how you interpret it. I'm sure Nietzsche was referring to Nirvana or something of that nature.

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 @ 09:18 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Albion
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Investigator of Souls
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic Nationalist
    Religion
    Runosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Alpine View Post
    I don't think anyone can be beyond suffering and pleasure. It's an utopian ideal, not a very realistic one, depends on how you interpret it. I'm sure Nietzsche was referring to Nirvana or something of that nature.
    One may not be able to get beyond pleasure and pain - but one can get beyond morality:
    This is the first step to be taken by the Ubermensch, and is far from being Utopian - not is it a kind of Nirvana.

It is a new innocence - the Innocence of Becoming.

This is, as I said, only the beginning.
    Why are there beings at all, & why not rather nothing?
    [Leibniz/Heidegger]

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast