Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Falkenbach and Folkearth are great heathen metal bands
    Falkenbach was actually originally from Iceland and is a solo project by some strapping Icelander. And it rules!

I have run the gauntlet on Heathen/Pagan bands and I have run into the good and the bad. Mostly the bad since this genre is full of novalty acts who are simply playing viking like some mildly aggressive power metal band from the 80's.

Temnozor - Probably the best band to come from Russia thus far. Especially considering they are NS. Usually NS make an album full of screaches and a solid wall of scratchy sounds with no real discernation between each track as an excuse to fill the albums cover and inner booklet with as much prapaganda as possible. This band can do it slow and fast. I believe they best are summed up as dark metal.

Wolf's Blood - I believe they describe themselves as something like Bavarian epic viking metal or something to that effect. Despite a mild hint of cheese this band is a very solid act. Diverse, upbeat and aggressive all at the right points. Their last album is really the highlight of their work thus far. Their older albums are still worth a listen if you really like them but I feel they lack the diversity and that uniqueness that makes you want to listen to it.

Primordial - Originally just another screachy black metal band from Ireland, this group eventually tapped into something much deeper. By all means one of my favorite bands, they really put the folk into folk metal and make something scant of cheese, fluff or novalty and provokes feelings that are characteristic of metal and folk respectively. The music, like most of it's fellow bands from this genre, is vey dark and sorrowful and speaks of better times and hopelessness.

Agalloch - Probably the best band to come from the Northwest. Not that that is very difficult considering the local hero is still Nirvana. Rather similar in structure, theme and feel of the above mentioned Primordial but more epic in sound. A typical song structure of this band is full tracks of both electric and accoustic guitars blended carefully together. Many songs are complete devoid of lyrics. When there is lyrics however, it is usually nihilistic and speaks of better times and places.

Forefather - I concur with everyone else on this one. Great band. The growly songs are easily forgettable but when these two brothers do clean vox his voice is very unique and strong and has a very pure feel to it. The have some very good songs. I highly recommend listening to Proud and Fifeldor. Very uplifting aggressive sound that is about mid-to-upper tempo. All you nazi chefs out there will be happy to know they put a song on a right wing soundtrack. They are very careful about protecting their image as non-racists and I won't argue with that. For anyone with English heritage you can't help but feel a flame of pride kindle inside you from listening to this band.

Falkenbach - Needs little introduction! If you don't know why listen to Vanadis or When Gjallahorn will sound... and see for yourself. Be amazed!

Runic - A band from Spain of all places! Their song Playing with Gods is surprisingly good. They delve a bit more into the screachy black metal pages more than they should but that doesn't change the fact they still have a strong diverse and attractive sound. I haven't heard a song of theirs that came close to comparing with Playing with Gods though. Listen to that one first.

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 13th, 2010 @ 02:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtic/Romance/ Raised by Nordics and Celts
    Subrace
    Celtic/Romance
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Actor/Drama Student/Waiter
    Politics
    This and That
    Religion
    Asatru/Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ensiferum is another great Folk metal band that i think may have Heathen elements to it
    In order to build Odinism into a valid and inspiring religious expression we must overcome this tendency to trivialise divinity. The gods are not Vikings…they are spiritual beings, potent forces of numinous power"
    (Odinic Rite)

Last Online
    Monday, November 16th, 2009 @ 05:01 PM
    Ethnicity
    British, German, Flemish
    Subrace
    CM/North Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Public/Media Relations
    Politics
    Libertarian Party
    Religion
    Heathen/Odian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leof View Post
    Falkenbach was actually originally from Iceland and is a solo project by some strapping Icelander. And it rules!

I have run the gauntlet on Heathen/Pagan bands and I have run into the good and the bad. Mostly the bad since this genre is full of novalty acts who are simply playing viking like some mildly aggressive power metal band from the 80's.

Temnozor - Probably the best band to come from Russia thus far. Especially considering they are NS. Usually NS make an album full of screaches and a solid wall of scratchy sounds with no real discernation between each track as an excuse to fill the albums cover and inner booklet with as much prapaganda as possible. This band can do it slow and fast. I believe they best are summed up as dark metal.

Wolf's Blood - I believe they describe themselves as something like Bavarian epic viking metal or something to that effect. Despite a mild hint of cheese this band is a very solid act. Diverse, upbeat and aggressive all at the right points. Their last album is really the highlight of their work thus far. Their older albums are still worth a listen if you really like them but I feel they lack the diversity and that uniqueness that makes you want to listen to it.

Primordial - Originally just another screachy black metal band from Ireland, this group eventually tapped into something much deeper. By all means one of my favorite bands, they really put the folk into folk metal and make something scant of cheese, fluff or novalty and provokes feelings that are characteristic of metal and folk respectively. The music, like most of it's fellow bands from this genre, is vey dark and sorrowful and speaks of better times and hopelessness.

Agalloch - Probably the best band to come from the Northwest. Not that that is very difficult considering the local hero is still Nirvana. Rather similar in structure, theme and feel of the above mentioned Primordial but more epic in sound. A typical song structure of this band is full tracks of both electric and accoustic guitars blended carefully together. Many songs are complete devoid of lyrics. When there is lyrics however, it is usually nihilistic and speaks of better times and places.

Forefather - I concur with everyone else on this one. Great band. The growly songs are easily forgettable but when these two brothers do clean vox his voice is very unique and strong and has a very pure feel to it. The have some very good songs. I highly recommend listening to Proud and Fifeldor. Very uplifting aggressive sound that is about mid-to-upper tempo. All you nazi chefs out there will be happy to know they put a song on a right wing soundtrack. They are very careful about protecting their image as non-racists and I won't argue with that. For anyone with English heritage you can't help but feel a flame of pride kindle inside you from listening to this band.

Falkenbach - Needs little introduction! If you don't know why listen to Vanadis or When Gjallahorn will sound... and see for yourself. Be amazed!

Runic - A band from Spain of all places! Their song Playing with Gods is surprisingly good. They delve a bit more into the screachy black metal pages more than they should but that doesn't change the fact they still have a strong diverse and attractive sound. I haven't heard a song of theirs that came close to comparing with Playing with Gods though. Listen to that one first.
    Agalloch is top shit, dude!

Great band. Listening to "The Mantle" is like being along in a snowy forest at night.

And the song "Odal" speak for itself.... no lyrics required. Amazing....

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Can anyone suggest any heathen/pagan music that isn't so screechy and growly? I really like metal but bands that sing like that remind me too much of Cradle of Filth and other bands I don't care for. I just listened to Falkenbach's Havamal on Youtube and it was amazing. More stuff like that would be good.

Thanks.

Naturbursche
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    Can anyone suggest any heathen/pagan music that isn't so screechy and growly?

Thanks.

Stiklur, Die Irrlichter, Sagentöter, Waldteufel just to name a few.

They're all in either german or scandinavian language, expect Sagentöter which is english.

Gruß,
    Boche

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boche View Post
    Stiklur, Die Irrlichter, Sagentöter, Waldteufel just to name a few.

They're all in either german or scandinavian language, expect Sagentöter which is english.

Gruß,
    Boche
    I'll check these bands out.

Thanks.

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 26th, 2008 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soten View Post
    Can anyone suggest any heathen/pagan music that isn't so screechy and growly? I really like metal but bands that sing like that remind me too much of Cradle of Filth and other bands I don't care for. I just listened to Falkenbach's Havamal on Youtube and it was amazing. More stuff like that would be good.

Thanks.
    ... TÝR ...

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Standhaftigkeit View Post
    ... TÝR ...

I listened to a few of their songs as well. They are good too. I'll have to get some of their albums.

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Only traditional folk music would apply to the definition of "heathen music". So-called NSBM, neo-folk and other modern genres that claim to be inspired by heathen cultures are all artificial and many of these bands would probably have been considered "degenerate music" in the Third Reich.

That doesn't mean I can't enjoy some decent neo-folk, but let's not kid ourselves by claiming that's genuine heathen music.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 7th, 2012 @ 07:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Alberta Alberta
    Family
    Time Spoke For Me
    Occupation
    Reconstruction
    Politics
    Nature
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Good luck finding anything "genuinely" Heathen.

In the end, things are what we make of them.

If I were to suggest a band, I'd say look for Empyrium, some of their stuff has some screamy to it, but alot of good singing as, and even the screamy bits add to the music, rather than detracting or distracting from it.

-James

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast