Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Early Eurpoean Upper Paleolithic Tool Industry Map

This is a map of tool industries found in Europe 40,000 years ago and as recently as 30,000 years ago. The Chatelperronian was made by neanderthals with modern features, but the Aurignacian was made by moderns. The Uluzzian also derives from the Middle Paleolithic European tool industry. The Szeletian also is said to be descended from the earlier Micoquian, and therefore to be neanderthal. Therefore, this is a map of modern and late (hybrid?) neanderthal tool industries in the early Upper Paleolithic.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Post Re: Early Eurpoean Upper Paleolithic Tool Industry Map

I need help here. It has been a long, long time and the guy who taught me, Jim Sackett, mainly wanted to talk about France. As I recall, the Chatelperronian was the ancestor of the Perigordian (in France). If that is true, does this mean the Perigordian was made by Neanderthals?

Again, from distant memory, the Szeletian showed some similarities to the Solutrian. Was the Solutrian also made by Neanderthals?

As I recall, in looking at non-Aurignacian tool industries and comparing them to the Aurignacian, they (Mousterian, Perrigordian, Solutrian) all were much more retouched and looked shorter and stubbier than the long, clean Aurignacian tools. Aurignacian tools looke like they were made in three or four strikes while the others seemed like they were chipped from cores with coutless strokes. Were such "chippy" tools all Neanderthals then?

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 09:17 PM
    Country
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    I need help here. It has been a long, long time and the guy who taught me, Jim Sackett, mainly wanted to talk about France. As I recall, the Chatelperronian was the ancestor of the Perigordian (in France). If that is true, does this mean the Perigordian was made by Neanderthals?
    Previously, the Chatelperronian was once included with the Gravettian (associated with moderns) because they were similar tool industries. A very good case can still be made, that the earlier tool industry influenced the later tool industry.

Again, from distant memory, the Szeletian showed some similarities to the Solutrian. Was the Solutrian also made by Neanderthals?
    I would imagine that the Solutrean shows regional continuity with tool industries made by neanderthals, and it was also suggested that it is related to the Aterian.

As I recall, in looking at non-Aurignacian tool industries and comparing them to the Aurignacian, they (Mousterian, Perrigordian, Solutrian) all were much more retouched and looked shorter and stubbier than the long, clean Aurignacian tools. Aurignacian tools looke like they were made in three or four strikes while the others seemed like they were chipped from cores with coutless strokes. Were such "chippy" tools all Neanderthals then?
    I would suggest that the Moustrian contributed to later Upper Paleolithic tool industries while the Aurignacian was an element imported from outside.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by atlanto-med
    I would suggest that the Moustrian contributed to later Upper Paleolithic tool industries while the Aurignacian was an element imported from outside.
    Would this mean that Neanderthal culture, in not Neandethal genes, survived the initial Aurignacian invasion?

Disinterested
    Last Online
    Tuesday, September 13th, 2005 @ 09:17 PM
    Country
    Folkish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Solar Wolff
    Would this mean that Neanderthal culture, in not Neandethal genes, survived the initial Aurignacian invasion?
    Yes, it would. It is hard to believe that there were no culural contacts in the early UP - and genetic contact too. Saint Cesaire I (associated with the Chatelperronian) seems to have been a hybrid.