Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: What Should Be the Punishment for Animal Cruelty?

Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    People need to stop treating animals like children... they are not. I think there's a certain degree of respect needed to deal with the matter and would also agree that excessive, purposeful cruelty towards animals is wrong... I would not say it's cruel to build a poor doghouse for one's dog (unless it was lined with spikes or something..). Dogs have survived thousands of years without little huts to sleep in... outside and in. Maybe my attitudes towards animals are "outdated"...
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    People need to stop treating animals like children... they are not. I think there's a certain degree of respect needed to deal with the matter and would also agree that excessive, purposeful cruelty towards animals is wrong... I would not say it's cruel to build a poor doghouse for one's dog (unless it was lined with spikes or something..). Dogs have survived thousands of years without little huts to sleep in... outside and in. Maybe my attitudes towards animals are "outdated"...
    Or you can stop telling people how they should care for their pets. Dogs are not wild, they have been domesticated for thousands of years and rely on human help and interaction. As if a dog doesn't feel cold in winter in a shoddy doghouse. No, they don't need frilly beds to sleep in, but guess what, if someone wants to give that to them, it's their choice. There is nothing "wrong" with that, so no "need to stop" it. What there is no need for is criticism for a person extending affection to their pet and having a bond you obviously don't understand.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, October 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Dagna and DanseMacabre have both made good points. In authorizing harsh punishments like the death penalty for animal abusers, we protect ourselves. Any person who shows no mercy for an animal is unlikely to show respect to those around him. In the worst cases, they end up being serial killers, but also rapists and domestic abusers. Justice is not served when these people slide by with only a misdemeanor. Who do you think will come next?

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 03:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't recall you ever mentioning you are vegetarian or vegan... the same methods are used in slaughtering animals.
    First of all, humans are naturally omnivores. While vegetarianism is possible under certain conditions, it is not a natural way of life for us.

Second, I would have seriously considered becoming a vegerarian if I wasn't so fond of certain types of meat. Besides that, it's not like my becoming a vegerarian would save a single life in a world where mass production is the standard.

Third, I hope to be able to have my own farm sometime in the future, so I can make sure I know where my food comes from and I can make sure the animals have a decent life and death.

Where is this statistic? As far as I know they kill mostly adult seals. There isn't a lot of skin on baby seals, nor is there a lot of meat.
    The younger the animal, the softer the skin. I think that's the reason for getting them young. Anyway, I got my data from here.

Sorry, I had to lol at this. These people who hunt, their families eat seal. A lot of families in the communities that seal hunt eat purely seal as their protein intake.
    Far more animals are killed each year than these hunters can actually eat.

Double lol. It's used to sustain communities. Do you want to pay welfare to these people because they have nothing left? These people eat the seals.
    There are more humane ways to make a living but killing baby animals with clubs for their fur.

No, mostly bull seals are slaughtered, as I have heard. I can see no reason in slaughtering the pups, it's not economically viable.
    In the long run, it definitely isn't economically viable. But people do it anyway, because the short term profit is high. For this same reason, we see the rain forests decline, deserts increasing, fish disappearing, ... People are too greedy and too little interested in the future of this planet.

Do you think everything in life has to be sunshine and roses? Life is brutal, life is ugly, and life is short.
    I've seen chickens being slaughtered when I was ten years old. I come from the countryside and know what real life is about. That doesn't mean I should respect the kind of behavior you're defending.

People need to stop treating animals like children... they are not.
    They aren't children, but many large mammals have an intelligence and behavioral level equivalent to that of small human children. Pets can be raised and trained in much the same way you do with a human child and their reactions to either a good or bad upbringing are equivalent.

I would not say it's cruel to build a poor doghouse for one's dog (unless it was lined with spikes or something..). Dogs have survived thousands of years without little huts to sleep in... outside and in. Maybe my attitudes towards animals are "outdated"...
    Dogs don't need luxury, but they do need space and attention. Dogs are supposed to live on the countryside where they have a lot of space to run around and where they can play with the children. If you can't provide them space and attention, they're bound to get mentally screwed-up.

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 09:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    My pets lives often surpass most other humans' lives in my eyes. eyes:
    On some level I agree, if my cat were stuck in a burning building with random human a**holes I didn't like, I would probably save my cat first.

But it's important to note that our emotional attachments to pets are not as genuine as they seem, and it is doubtful they are truly reciprocated in the way human-human emotions are. We are motivated by something hard-wired into our brains to care for "cute" animals because their big eyes, tiny faces and helplessness remind us of human infants. People who are not capable of making this innate emotional connection and see a cat or a dog as a object to torture would likely not make a similar connection with a human infant, and so it shows they are abnormal, mentally defective, potential child abusers. It is not a coincidence there are more cases of animal abuse among the low IQ and criminal.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
    But it's important to note that our emotional attachments to pets are not as genuine as they seem, and it is doubtful they are truly reciprocated in the way human-human emotions are.
    It depends on the species. A cat tends to treat its owner more like a servant, while a dog tends to treat its owner like family. For a horse, it's something in between. Nevertheless, one can clearly observe animals showing the same emotions and thinking patterns as small human children in similar situations.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 9th, 2008 @ 06:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    MYOB
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    One thing is for sure, I would definitely rescue my cat over nearly any unfamiliar human. I do not like obsequious animals like dogs, but I do not like seeing them being hurt.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SineNomine View Post
    One thing is for sure, I would definitely rescue my cat over nearly any unfamiliar human.
    If only my colleagues at work had that common sense. They almost killed me for saying more of less the same thing a few days ago.

I do not like obsequious animals like dogs, but I do not like seeing them being hurt.
    Dogs aren't as obsequious as some people may think. They do have their own character and they do tend to do things they know are not allowed. They're just group animals used to living in a very strict hierarchy, whereas cats are solitary animals with completely different social structures.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 9th, 2008 @ 06:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    MYOB
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    If only my colleagues at work had that common sense. They almost killed me for saying more of less the same thing a few days ago.
    A lot of people find it odd. Probably because they do not think one can develop feelings for an animal as one can for a human.

whereas cats are solitary animals with completely different social structures.
    Hence my preference for them.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A lot of people find it odd. Probably because they do not think one can develop feelings for an animal as one can for a human.
    They're just under the illusion that human life is more important than animal life by default. They'd even prefer saving a Down Syndrom human or a rapist over an innocant pet.

Hence my preference for them.
    I'm used to both dogs and cats. Both have their advantages and their disadvantages as pets.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast