View Poll Results: Should smoking be banned in public places?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, smoking should be banned in all public places.

31 34.07%
  • Yes, smoking should be banned in official buildings but not bars/restaurants etc.

11 12.09%
  • No, but venues which allow smoking should have designated smoking areas

13 14.29%
  • No, smoking should be allowed without, or with few obvious restrictions

3 3.30%
  • No, it should be up to the owner/operator of the building.

28 30.77%
  • Why should I care, I don't frequent public places!

0 0%
  • Other opinion, which will be elaborated in the 78-odd paragraphs to follow

5 5.49%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban Smoking in Public?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 11:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Yes, by all means, ban it everywhere public!!

I had been a smoker for 13 years (and I always used to ask before lighting one up) and now I realize how much the non-smokers suffer. Living in Greece, not only you are subjected to other people's smoke, but you get intimidated by smokers if you dare ask them put out their cigarette, or even to smoke it outside! :
    They act as if it's their "god given right" to smoke and you're the weirdo who should f**k off.

hearthtender
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, July 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Swedish/Irish
    Ancestry
    Swedish Irish ?English?
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Michigan Michigan
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    Classical liberal
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I really hate cigarette smoke and do not like cigar or pipe tobacco. However I object to the government telling people what they are allowed to do in private businesses. Any total bans that are larger than citywide really bug me. Citywide it is a local matter and hopefully democracy will work.

I am in favor of smoking not being allowed in hospitals, schools and government buildings. If people want to use private monies to have well ventalated smoking rooms in these facilities I am fine with that. In private businesses it is the owners option.

I dont go smoky places if I can avoid it and have a firm no smoking policy in my house. I will step out to the back porch with a guest any time of year to try to be hospitibile.
    Land of the Free because of the Brave.
    "Do not seek death. Death will find you. But seek the road which makes death a fulfillment." Dag Hammarskjold
    "Children know the truth. Love is not an emotion. Love is behavior." Andrew Vachss

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, September 28th, 2008 @ 03:36 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In Tony Harrison's modern interpretation of the Prometheus legend, the heat and light that the smoker conjures into being serves as a token of the human impulse to invention and ingenuity.
    Source

[...] Agents choose 'public preferences' which are contrary to their 'private preferences' in order to attain 'reputational utility.' Such 'preference falsification' pushes, in turn, ideas away from private consciousness, originating 'knowledge falsification' (i.e., indoctrination).
    Source

To be intellectual was to defy the body in favour of the mind, and smoking was merely an outward sign of that choice. [...] [we] smoke to bury [our] memories, then confront them; to demonstrate moral neutrality and then shift to radical hero ennobled by love.
    Source

Jean-Paul Sartre smoked in public. The dominant framework for understanding mind in contemporary cognitive science evolved from existentialism. Ipso facto, this is reason for leaving the decision to the owner/operator of the building.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 @ 09:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Controlling the odours that fill our streets is a matter of public interest. We can make an objective olfactory assessment that cigarette smoke is unpleasant, and therefore, without any social benefits to weigh against this, it should be banned. A simple matter with much legal precedent.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagna View Post
    Yes, I believe smoking should be banned in all public places. It's not my concern if people smke in private but in public I cannot stand the awful smell and smoke. It's poison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    Controlling the odours that fill our streets is a matter of public interest. We can make an objective olfactory assessment that cigarette smoke is unpleasant, and therefore, without any social benefits to weigh against this, it should be banned. A simple matter with much legal precedent.
    So should we just arrest anyone who neglects to wear deodorant or brush their teeth? How bad can it possibly be if someone smokes out in the open? I don't think anyone has the right to walk around in public and expect to be enclosed in a virtual sphere into which nothing that offends them may be smelled, heard, or seen.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Thursday, October 8th, 2009 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If it was an ideal world than smoking, at all, would be banned. Smoking does nothing good for people and society, so why have it? Just because some people think it's cool or they're just addicted is even more of a reason to ban it.

But since it's not, I could settle with ban of smoking in heavily concentrated public areas.
    Perfection.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    3 Days Ago @ 11:16 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    127 Posts
    It is kind of interesting how ex-smokers are often the most militant anti-smokers, worse than those non-smokers who have no smoking friends.

Anyway, here goes my own opinion. Now, now, I may be a smoker at present and it will sound a little like the stereotypical smoker's rant to some, but I even held exactly the same views on this during my 6-monthly intermezzo as a non-smoker.

I believe that it should be banned in government buildings and the likes, with a smoking area maybe provided outside and at the back, as well as maybe a secluded one inside for the Staff. If you go to a courtroom or a parliament session, you expect to be in a formal, cleanly and proper atmosphere.

Local public transport should be non-smoking, usually ventilation is bad, and surely no one can be so addicted as to not be able to withhold the urge to smoke for half an hour. Long-distance public transport should however cater for smokers: Trains should have two smoking compartments, one at either end, and as regards planes the air was actually healthier when smoking was still allowed, because paradoxically clean air would be pumped into the cabin more frequently, as the rate of ventilation obviously needs to be higher to deal with the smoke.

For other public places I propose a compromise: Pubs, restaurants and other venues who have only a single room, or an area of less than 75 square metres should be able to choose whether they want their entire premises to be either smoking or non-smoking.

Those places that have multiple rooms, or an area of more than 75 square metres, should be obliged to install one smoking and one non-smoking area... many cafes, pubs and restaurants have multiple rooms/lounges separated by staircases, hallways or other passageways that prevent the smoke from evading, especially here in the UK.

The final concern will surely be that of the Staff that work at the place, and their health. Now I see where one would be coming from in a country like Germany, or Austria, where your drinks are brought to your table more often than not, but I cannot see the issue in the UK, where you are expected to collect your drinks from the bar: If you have a bar room and a lounge room - why not have people collect their drinks, and maybe even food, from the bar room (which would sensibly be non-smoking) and then move on into the lounge room if they wish to smoke.

Either way, with about 35% of all adults smoking, I find it important that a compromise should be met, as there are obviously the smokers, the non-smokers who aren't bothered, and the non-smokers who are bothered...and all groups being relatively equal in numbers.

I have also heard the argument by the way that it will improve the atmosphere in a pub, and maybe even get people to stop smoking, and it will finally make everything cleaner? Oh, really? Ever since smoking was banned in enclosed public places here in Scotland:
    • You are now able to smell the sweat and farts in a pub...surely not a pleasant smell either?
    • It has made smoking social again. Friendships are made whilst smoking outside because you meet random people you would have never talked to otherwise. Also, if you are the only non-smoker out with a group of smokers, you are more or less bound to head outside with them or be left alone at a table. Many people start that way...and are still passive smoking either way, if they don't.
    • Made everything cleaner? With the City Councils not seeing themselves responsible to clean sidewalks, a semi-blind person could tell where the entrances to pubs are: Cigarette buds all over the place that would otherwise have been deposed of in a

PS: And on a side note: If I walk down a busy road during rush hour for ten minutes I suppose I inhale more toxic smoke than by sitting in the smoking compartment of a train for an hour. So instead of bitching about how smoking inside adversely influences our health, people should rather look at the damage they are doing themselves by often driving cars that are anything but environmentally friendly.

Last Online
    Friday, April 20th, 2012 @ 10:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/English
    Ancestry
    Scotland and England
    Subrace
    Nordid/Bruenn
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Family
    DeFacto Relationship
    Occupation
    IT Analyst
    Politics
    Ride the Tiger
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I originally thought this thread was implying that smokers should only smoke on their own property, like it was some horrible drug or something.

Indoors it shouldn't be smoked. Children and such shouldn't inhale second hand smoke if they don't want to () designated zones are fine though.

I'm a smoker by the way, for now.
    "For the authentic revolutionary conservative, what really counts is to be faithful not to past forms and institutions, but rather to principles of which such forms and institutions have been particular expressions, adequate for a specific period of time and in a specific geographical area." Julius Evola - Men Among the Ruins

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 @ 09:28 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    Dominion of Canada Dominion of Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    So should we just arrest anyone who neglects to wear deodorant or brush their teeth? How bad can it possibly be if someone smokes out in the open? I don't think anyone has the right to walk around in public and expect to be enclosed in a virtual sphere into which nothing that offends them may be smelled, heard, or seen.
    Those are more complicated examples - some people have health-related problems in that regard, and it's hard to stop yourself from stinking after running, playing sports, etc. When it comes to cigarette smoke however, there's no such excuse. Smokers can chew nicontine gum in public if they really have to.

We might only want to ban it in denser parts of cities, as Elysium suggested. It's a bit of a ridiculous image to have someone sitting down on a hill in the countryside and not being able to light up. But again, part of the aim of such a law would be to get people to stop smoking in the first place.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 03:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I voted to leave it up to the discretion of the property owner. We see more and more property rights whittled away as society "progressively" takes the plunge into nannyism. It's absurd. As far as actual public property (courtrooms, etc.) is concerned, I don't have a problem with prohibiting people from smoking indoors, as smokers are not theoretically the only people constituting the ownership of said property. Governmental micromanagement and loss of freedom will ruin our society long before second hand smoke ever will.

I'm not a smoker, BTW.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    — Samuel Adams

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast