Thread: Studying in Leipzig and Tuebingen

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 12:39 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Studying in Leipzig and Tuebingen

Over the next summer, I plan to study German at the Herder Institute of the University of Leipzig for a month and next year's spring semester I hope to enter an exchange program with Eberhard Karls Universitaet in Tuebingen.

Leipzig sounds like a cool city and Tuebingen is close to a lot of the cities where some of my ancestors came to America from (Baden, Heidelberg, Mosbach, Heilbronn...not to mention all of Switzerland further south particularly Schaffhausen.)

Anyhow, I wanted to know from people living in Deutschland or people who have been to these places some of the things I should definitely see and do while I am there. The Leipzig program is kind of time-limited but there are planned excursions to Berlin and Dresden. Really I want to know what cool things I can do and see while in Tuebingen.

Let me know what you think.

(Sorry for this not being in German...really should be able to write well in German if I plan to go to a German university shouldn't I...)

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    English (50%), German (20%), Irish (12.5%), Lithuanian (12.5%), Scottish, Dutch, French
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Better yet, you could answer in German and force me to practice at least my reading comprehension. Maybe I'll try to post more in German but I am a little afraid of looking like an idiot. Oh well, it's not like there's not plenty of people posting in English on the site with less than perfect skill. eyes:

Last Online
    Saturday, April 12th, 2008 @ 02:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hi Soten. I hope you will read this...
    first of all, sorry for my bad English!

A friend of mine is living in Tuebingen. It's a typical University-City (!!), so i guess that you will easily make contact with many other students there. Although it is a relative small city, Tuebingen offers a lot of sights, tradition and possibilities to enjoy yourself. It combines the medieval influence with the modern one. I am sure you gonna like it.

some "must see" - sights:

the Museum in the Castle Hohentübingen:
    there you will find exhibits from the prehistory TILL the 20th century !! And the surrounding scenery is quite amazing ...

there ist also a "local history museum" in the heart of the city and a "Visual arts" - hall !! You can get the information, by just asking the people or students of the city.

botanical garden of the university:
    You have to visit it !! especially in summer! It's just beautiful ...
    Website: http://www.botgarten.uni-tuebingen.d...tiki-index.php

If you are interested in astronomy, you could also have a look on the observatory. It's a part of the faculty of maths and physics.

Take a trip on the boat !! You will find many ferrymen on the neckar river !!

On your boat trip you will also see the Friedrich Hölderlin Tower - it was named after a famous german poet (so if you're going to improve your german, go in there and you will find a museum ^^ .. but i have to warn you, german poetry is not easy to understand, as a beginner)

Landestheater Tübingen:
    If you are tired of usual cinemas, you will also able to visit the local theatre of Tuebingen. But most of the "plays" there, are modern ones and in german.

You will find many other things automatically at your own , like the historic city, parks etc. ..

The biggest neighbor of Tuebingen is Stuttgart, but there are so many sights ... i haven't got so much time to list those for you. It could be quite useful to buy a tourist guide in town!

i hope, i could help you a little bit.
    greets from munich,
    Martin

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Woden, Thunor, Frīg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Thanks for all the information. I will look into these sites more when I get the time.

I really didn't expect anyone to reply to this thread...I posted it months ago.

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 03:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I really can't help you in any way that would be relative to your time over there, but I can say enjoy everything that you do and see. It sounds like one of those opportunities that come around only once, so make the most of it!
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.