European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Peripherally Germanic

Does exist such category ?

Sometimes it's controversial to define exactly what "Germanic" is..........

Countries like IRELAND, FINLAND and FRANCE (for example) could be considered as perhypehrally germanic ? or Not ?

I'm curious about the answers........

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    IMHO;

Any Irishman can claim justifiably to be Celto-Germanic, if that is what they feel. They already speak English, and there has been Germanic settlement, especially in the East.

Depending on where someone is from in France, they can be Gallo-Germanic or Germanic.

I cannot speak for Finland. There are apparently Swedish enclaves.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    87 Posts
    Nope, I don't think there's such thing as a peripherally Germanic country. There are parts of countries or regions like the Scottish Lowlands, Alsace, the Sudetenland, South Tyrol which are Germanic but that doesn't make Scotland, France, the Czech Republic or Italy Germanic. There is a Swedish minority in Finland but that doesn't make Finland any more Germanic than Russia (there are German speaking people in Russia who created colonies along the Volga). My two cents.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Sure. Why the heck not?

It might be applicable to people, ethnicities, countries, etc., that have a sizable Germanic influence (on one or more of many different variables)....but this influence is still in the minority.

So yes, Ireland and France or even Switzerland come to mind. Certainly a fair bit of Germanic influence at a cultural, linguistic, genetic level but is not the predominant stain within the whole.

Sort of like "peripherally Nordish".

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 22nd, 2010 @ 11:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Subrace
    UP/Atlanto Med
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    B-School, Demolition
    Politics
    I do what I can
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If things continue to progress as they have been, countries being Germanic won't be very relevant, just look at the demographic trends in countries that are currently considered germanic. I think what is more important now, and will be even more so in the future is what people are Germanic. Individuals maintaining a strong identification with and affinity for their Germanic culture is more important now than ever, or else Germanics will lose the countries they have, and the possibility of carving out new living space for Germanics will vanish if there isn't a strong group of people committed to it.

True Keltic culture (not St. Paddy's day B.S.) would be extinct if some people didn't value it despite its lack of relevance to the modern world.

Last Online
    Monday, February 18th, 2008 @ 04:49 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman View Post
    I cannot speak for Finland. There are apparently Swedish enclaves.
    While Finns are obviously not Germanic they are a part of the Nordic racial sphere and possess a germanized, western spirit which is in contrast with the peculiar Russian eastern spirit.

Alfred Rosenberg rightly considered Finland a Nordic nation while e.g. France cannot make this claim. Blood, not language, determines the character of the nation.

It is clear that the White race cannot maintain its position in the world if it has not created order in Europe. As a result, a demand arises which is felt a millionfold as necessary and which explains the successes of the Pan European propaganda: the securing of the European continent through a national foreign policy. From this originally correct idea, however, the exactly converse conclusions results. In order to preserve Europe, the sources of Nordic strength in Europe must be brought alive again, strengthened. This includes Germany, Scandinavia, Finland and England. Conversely, the influence of France, which in the south is already completely Mulattoised, must be halted so that it can no longer act as an advance area for the Africans

Nordic Europe will be the watchword of the future along with a German central Europe. Germany will be race and national state. It will be the central power of the continent, insuring the south and the southeast. The Scandinavian states and Finland will be a second league.

One will need to speak here of the Russian character which stands in contrast to the Germanised peoples of Finland, Estonia and Lithuania.
    - The Myth of the 20th Century

It must be noted that Rosenberg was himself married to an Estonian woman named Hilda Leesmann.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassenpapst View Post
    While Finns are obviously not Germanic they are a part of the Nordic racial sphere and possess a germanized, western spirit which is in contrast with the peculiar Russian eastern spirit.

Weak argument. "nordic racial sphere" isn't a cultural fact. Only a vague definition

"Germanization" is very vague too since Third Reich recruited SS-division in all the countries invaded : France, Italy, Croatia, Hungary, Ukraina.

About Western spirit opposed to eastern one.........define better this "western spirit". What do you mean exactly ? SPAIN (to make an example) is VERY western. ; much more than Finland.

(and racially speaking remeber at least 1/3 of Ethnic Russian population is northEuropid.....)

Alfred Rosenberg rightly considered Finland a Nordic nation while e.g. France cannot make this claim. Blood, not language, determines the character of the nation.
    Your opinion ? If it's so........then Ireland can't be considered Germanic in your vision. Since the language is English, but the bulk of Irish population is PRE-Germanic (Old Atlantic + Celtic)

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Being a mixture of Frankish blood and Saxonian blood, my people (Flemish people) would probably fall under the definitions of a peripherally Germanic people. The Irish are a similar mixture and not coincidentilly I recognise a lot of my own people when I look at the Irish. In a way, Flemish people are continental Irish.

One could technically even compare our troubles with the Belgian state with the troubles in Northern-Ireland.... minus the bloodshed and the fanatism, though.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    Being a mixture of Frankish blood and Saxonian blood, my people (Flemish people) would probably fall under the definitions of a peripherally Germanic people. The Irish are a similar mixture and not coincidentilly I recognise a lot of my own people when I look at the Irish. In a way, Flemish people are continental Irish.

One could technically even compare our troubles with the Belgian state with the troubles in Northern-Ireland.... minus the bloodshed and the fanatism, though.

What do you mean? Neither the Franks nor the Saxons were peripheral Germanics. Or are you talking about the modern French?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, August 16th, 2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allenson View Post
    So yes, Ireland and France or even Switzerland come to mind.
    Switzerland?! The German speakers in Switzerland are (like south-western Germans) descendants of Allemanic tribes and currently those with German as their mother tongue account for about 63% of the population. I fail to see where Switzerland would qualify as "periphery". Agreed though about the other two - France proper (i.e. we're not talking about Alsace-Lorraine here) has obviously had heavy Germanic influence from the Normans in its North and a fair Frankish influence way back in time, but never prevalent, Irish had "Viking" influence first, and later some (disputable) influence from the English, yet retained a lot of its original Celtic culture and mindset.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast