Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Peripherally Germanic

  1. #31
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Gefjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    170
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beornulf View Post
    Don't take my posts as lectures or personal attacks, I'm merely questioning out of interest.
    We both know you dislike me so let's call a spade a spade.
    Good debate is healthy,I find it of interest that someone who is "NS/fascist" would marry a Slavic person given the Worldviews opinions on Slavic folk.
    Which are? Don't tell me you're one of those who falsely believes that Hitler considered the Slavs subhuman.
    I've never been to Scotland, I plan to move there soon however so I will encounter it then. It really comes down to where they come from, clan associations and the person in question.
    You've never been to Scotland, but I have, to both Scotland and Ireland. You can't judge Scots proper on what colonials say.

    In regards to my own background, I am marginally Celtic by blood and even less by culture. I put Celto-Germanic simply because it would be purely dishonest to put just Germanic. Celtic people settled a vast area of Europe, and contributed to the growth and ethnic background of many nations, it would be hard to find a Western European with absolutely no Celtic admixture. Furthermore, Celtogermanic is predominant in the British Isles, I intend to have children with someone with English or Scottish descent. So that is preservation of a culture/racial stock which is distinct to my heritage.
    It will be hard to find any pure Western European, mate. Slavic admixture has been genetically proven to be present in East Germany. So ya see, it's not that simple. You can't count Celtic as Germanic and expect us to buy this nonsense.

  2. #32
    Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Location
    Washington DC
    Gender
    Age
    40
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Posts
    2,986
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I think Celtic is a lot closer to Germanics than anything else, just like Italian is closer to Germanics than Nigerian
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

  3. #33
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Blood_Axis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Gender
    Age
    40
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Posts
    5,174
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    31
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    57
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Two cents:

    "peripherally germanic" sounds like "peripherally pregnant" or "peripherally dead". :p

    Either you are germanic, or you're not.

    Besides, I don't see why we must "germanisize" cultures because of their geographical proximity to germanic ones.
    Such peoples have their own cultures to claim (gaelic, gallo-romance, finno-ugric, slavic, etc) and that are also worthy of mention and preservation. Did anyone even ask them if they want to be referred to as (peripherally) germanic?

  4. #34
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    Two cents:

    "peripherally germanic" sounds like "peripherally pregnant" or "peripherally dead". :p

    Either you are germanic, or you're not.
    What about someone with a German father and a French mother who's born in Ireland? Irish culture is a mixture of Celtic culture and Germanic culture. The English language is a mixture of Germanic language and Romanic language. The father is Germanic and the mother is not. I'd say this individual would be a clear example of a peripherally Germanic person on both ethnic and cultural grounds

  5. #35
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Blood_Axis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Gender
    Age
    40
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Posts
    5,174
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    31
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    57
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    What about someone with a German father and a French mother who's born in Ireland? Irish culture is a mixture of Celtic culture and Germanic culture. The English language is a mixture of Germanic language and Romanic language. The father is Germanic and the mother is not. I'd say this individual would be a clear example of a peripherally Germanic person on both ethnic and cultural grounds
    That's a person of half germanic, half gallo-romance admixture, that was born in Gaelic land.

    It is also totally off-topic since the thread starter is not asking about people with partial germanic admixture but about full-blooded non-germanics, that come from lands that are located near to germanic countries, and might be culturally influenced as such.

  6. #36
    Senior Member Brynhild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Location
    South Coast
    Gender
    Age
    55
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Posts
    669
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Chinese whispers anyone? :p
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

    "And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

  7. #37
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    That's a person of half germanic, half gallo-romance admixture, that was born in Gaelic land.

    It is also totally off-topic since the thread starter is not asking about people with partial germanic admixture but about full-blooded non-germanics, that come from lands that are located near to germanic countries, and might be culturally influenced as such.
    It's not totally off-topic at all.

    Both racially and culturally, only a minority of Germanic people are 100% Germanic. Most of the time, there's some form of border-mixing between different ethnic groups and cultures that leads to gradients. Even language has historically diversified mostly in a gradient rather than with clear linguistic borders.

  8. #38
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Blood_Axis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Gender
    Age
    40
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Posts
    5,174
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    31
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    57
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    It's not totally off-topic at all.

    Both racially and culturally, only a minority of Germanic people are 100% Germanic. Most of the time, there's some form of border-mixing between different ethnic groups and cultures that leads to gradients. Even language has historically diversified mostly in a gradient rather than with clear linguistic borders.
    You still miss the point.

    They would be partially germanic mixed with some other ethnic group, but other non-germanic ethnic groups cannot be "peripherally germanic" because they lie close to Germanic lands (France, Hungary, Finland, Italy, etc).

  9. #39
    Senior Member IlluSionSxxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Posts
    582
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    You still miss the point.

    They would be partially germanic mixed with some other ethnic group, but other non-germanic ethnic groups cannot be "peripherally germanic" because they lie close to Germanic lands (France, Hungary, Finland, Italy, etc).
    IMO, peripherally Germanic countries would be countries that are not pre-dominantly Germanic but that still have many Germanic elements, both racially and culturally.

  10. #40
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Blood_Axis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 18th, 2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Gender
    Age
    40
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Posts
    5,174
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    31
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    57
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    IMO, peripherally Germanic countries would be countries that are not pre-dominantly Germanic but that still have many Germanic elements, both racially and culturally.
    Based on this argument, then second/third..etc generation Turk immigrants in Germany should be "peripherally germanic" too.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Germanic Rotterdam & Germanic San Diego; of Equal Importance?
    By OneEnglishNorman in forum Questions About Germanics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Monday, September 24th, 2018, 03:11 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, April 26th, 2016, 04:31 PM
  3. Replies: 109
    Last Post: Wednesday, September 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •