Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    I put CeltoGermanic in my profile now. As I've said before, in my opinion the Celts and Germans are very closely related groups In a sense it's the Welsh and Irish who have made Celtic seem foreign or uniquely British Isles, but my reading of history places the Celtic folk as a thoroughly Continental European people who later spread their influence which survives linguistically today mostly at the edges of Europe. I think the English are mostly descended from the Celts (which is not the same as saying the English are racially close to the Welsh).

To grossly simplify the English are Celts that speak a Germanic language.

Whereas the Irish & Welsh are northern European "aborigines" that spoke a Celtic language.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman
    To grossly simplify the English are Celts that speak a Germanic language.

Ok, i agree with both your definitions.
    British isles in the complex are largely aborigenal.

Whereas the Irish & Welsh are northern European "aborigines" that spoke a Celtic language.

Yes, but a question : the fact they're northern european make them more assimilable ? (of course i guess you think that). You see......if it's for this, Lativan/balts, Finns, Poles and West-Russians are northeueopean too...............

Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I consider the British Isles Germanic. There is no full Celtic group left in the British Isles. There is a level of Germanic heritage in virtually all British natives due to a constant migratory flow from Scandinavia and northern Germany.

Finland, on the other hand, I guess it all depends on the Finn in question. Some look and act Germanic while others could pass for Asian.

Last Online
    Thursday, October 8th, 2009 @ 11:09 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wondered why Celtogermanic was included in Meta-Ethnicity now I know why. Didn't know they were considered "close" to Germanics (Celts that is).

I'm probably Romance-Germanic due to the fact that I have Lombard ancestry and they would've have mixed with native Italians. Therefore, not fully Germanic. ? ?
    Perfection.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I wondered why Celtogermanic was included in Meta-Ethnicity now I know why. Didn't know they were considered "close" to Germanics (Celts that is).
    CeltoGermanic doesn't really exist as a unique culture except on some relatively sparcely populated islands in the North Atlantic (Iceland, Føroyar, Shetlands). The English are predominately Germanic in terms of their genetic heritage and language. Europeans are paternal, so your Y-chromosome should traditionally take precedent in your ethnic self-identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    I'm probably Romance-Germanic due to the fact that I have Lombard ancestry and they would've have mixed with native Italians. Therefore, not fully Germanic. ? ?
    I think you're right, if the definition of Germanic is stretched to include Celts, there could also be Fenno-Germanic, Slavo-Germanic (the horror!), Balto-Germanic, Italo-Germanic, etc.

Last Online
    Friday, May 8th, 2009 @ 02:07 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Subrace
    Heinz variety
    Country
    Australia Australia
    State
    New South Wales New South Wales
    Family
    It's nobody's business!
    Occupation
    Cleaner/Home duties
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Having read some of the above threads, I really couldn't be bothered arguing about what is considered to be Germanic

My father was Maltese - supposedly a Med. I don't think so. The features in that description look decidely Arab, not like my dad at all.

I am 6th generation Australian on my mother's side. That bloodline is predominantly Irish, along with English and Scottish. There is no other mix in my blood on my mother's side (with the exception of Norse), but my father's side is more doubtful, considering the geographical location of Malta, and the migratory patterns of the Phoenicians, Arabs and Germanics down through the ages.

My ex-husband is Germanic/Australian - English and Scottish, and therefore, so are my children.

In my view, there is no such thing as a pure Germanic race, unless you're from the furthest reaches of the Northern latitudes, and your society is homogenous. How many can honestly claim that they are? We only need to think about how different races either died out, or assimilated with others. This includes people from the British Isles and Ireland. There would be scant few of them who could really call themselves Gaelic, except perhaps the Welsh, and the Manx (perhaps even before the Gaels). But I'm really only speculating.

I'm a Germanic Heathen in any case, because my first concern is to preserve what's left of my culture. I'm also a Germanic Heathen because of my practises and honouring my ancestry.

Some may ask "How can you be? You're in the Southern Hemisphere!" That doesn't matter one jot. The culture came with my ancestry. There are lots of other countries where migrants from Germanic nations moved to.

I can't follow the purist notion but I for one don't really care. As I remember rightly, this thread is Peripherally Germanic - meaning outer or surrounding regions.

Heil
    Jenni
    Dick Dastardly: "MUTTLEY, DO SOMETHING!!!!"
    Muttley: "Hehehehehehehehehe"

"And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure." - Albus Dumbledore, from Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I think Celtic is a lot closer to Germanics than anything else, just like Italian is closer to Germanics than Nigerian
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, February 28th, 2020 @ 11:46 PM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Two cents:

"peripherally germanic" sounds like "peripherally pregnant" or "peripherally dead". :p

Either you are germanic, or you're not.

Besides, I don't see why we must "germanisize" cultures because of their geographical proximity to germanic ones.
    Such peoples have their own cultures to claim (gaelic, gallo-romance, finno-ugric, slavic, etc) and that are also worthy of mention and preservation. Did anyone even ask them if they want to be referred to as (peripherally) germanic?

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    Two cents:

"peripherally germanic" sounds like "peripherally pregnant" or "peripherally dead". :p

Either you are germanic, or you're not.
    What about someone with a German father and a French mother who's born in Ireland? Irish culture is a mixture of Celtic culture and Germanic culture. The English language is a mixture of Germanic language and Romanic language. The father is Germanic and the mother is not. I'd say this individual would be a clear example of a peripherally Germanic person on both ethnic and cultural grounds

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast