Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 47

Thread: Peripherally Germanic

  1. #11
    Account Disabled on Request
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Location
    europe
    Gender
    Posts
    4,145
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I put CeltoGermanic in my profile now. As I've said before, in my opinion the Celts and Germans are very closely related groups In a sense it's the Welsh and Irish who have made Celtic seem foreign or uniquely British Isles, but my reading of history places the Celtic folk as a thoroughly Continental European people who later spread their influence which survives linguistically today mostly at the edges of Europe. I think the English are mostly descended from the Celts (which is not the same as saying the English are racially close to the Welsh).

    To grossly simplify the English are Celts that speak a Germanic language.

    Whereas the Irish & Welsh are northern European "aborigines" that spoke a Celtic language.

  2. #12
    Account Inactive Huzar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Gender
    Politics
    Paganist
    Posts
    2,488
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEnglishNorman
    To grossly simplify the English are Celts that speak a Germanic language.

    Ok, i agree with both your definitions.
    British isles in the complex are largely aborigenal.


    Whereas the Irish & Welsh are northern European "aborigines" that spoke a Celtic language.

    Yes, but a question : the fact they're northern european make them more assimilable ? (of course i guess you think that). You see......if it's for this, Lativan/balts, Finns, Poles and West-Russians are northeueopean too...............

  3. #13
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Posts
    4,096
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    17
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Much of this has to be self-identification. A guy I worked with had all Irish parents who spoke English and he was born in the USA. He called himself "Irish", not Celto-Germanic. He was a big, strong guy and nobody was going to argue with him about this, one of his central, core, beliefs. Were he to admit being Germanic would mean to admit to being English in his mind and this simply could not happen. He was (he is dead now) ever bit as American as I am; there were no class distinctions between us. That was his choice in self-identification.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Leof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    Wednesday, February 29th, 2012 @ 08:52 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Location
    sdfsdw
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Film Student
    Politics
    rergreheh
    Religion
    Asatru
    Posts
    544
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I consider the British Isles Germanic. There is no full Celtic group left in the British Isles. There is a level of Germanic heritage in virtually all British natives due to a constant migratory flow from Scandinavia and northern Germany.

    Finland, on the other hand, I guess it all depends on the Finn in question. Some look and act Germanic while others could pass for Asian.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Elysium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    Thursday, October 8th, 2009 @ 11:09 AM
    Gender
    Age
    27
    Posts
    447
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I wondered why Celtogermanic was included in Meta-Ethnicity now I know why. Didn't know they were considered "close" to Germanics (Celts that is).

    I'm probably Romance-Germanic due to the fact that I have Lombard ancestry and they would've have mixed with native Italians. Therefore, not fully Germanic. ? ?
    Perfection.

    War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Friday, April 20th, 2012 @ 09:13 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/English
    Ancestry
    Scotland and England
    Subrace
    Nordid/Bruenn
    Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Location
    Wellington
    Gender
    Age
    30
    Family
    DeFacto Relationship
    Occupation
    IT Analyst
    Politics
    Ride the Tiger
    Posts
    734
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Nope, I don't think there's such thing as a peripherally Germanic country. There are parts of countries or regions like the Scottish Lowlands, Alsace, the Sudetenland, South Tyrol which are Germanic but that doesn't make Scotland, France, the Czech Republic or Italy Germanic. There is a Swedish minority in Finland but that doesn't make Finland any more Germanic than Russia (there are German speaking people in Russia who created colonies along the Volga). My two cents.
    I want to address this. Do not take it as a personal attack I am just interested.

    In other threads you have stated your husband as being of Serbian descent, but consider him Anglo-American ie Germanic. Now I'm not having a go at you about that, I just want to see if you notice a double standard when in threads you state certain countries are not Germanic.

    For instance, judging by what you say. You consider your husband to be Germanic, but not say Clan Donald or Gunn in Scotland who are very Norse influenced, have over 1000 years of Germanic heritage and blood and speak English, Inglis (Scots). I simply want to know why your husband would be considered more Germanic culturally than a majority of Scots with Germanic ethnicity, even though his history is Slavic and his family have recently adopted Germanic customs.

    I look forward to a response.

  7. #17
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Gefjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    170
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beornulf View Post
    I want to address this. Do not take it as a personal attack I am just interested.

    In other threads you have stated your husband as being of Serbian descent, but consider him Anglo-American ie Germanic. Now I'm not having a go at you about that, I just want to see if you notice a double standard when in threads you state certain countries are not Germanic.

    For instance, judging by what you say. You consider your husband to be Germanic, but not say Clan Donald or Gunn in Scotland who are very Norse influenced, have over 1000 years of Germanic heritage and blood and speak English, Inglis (Scots). I simply want to know why your husband would be considered more Germanic culturally than a majority of Scots with Germanic ethnicity, even though his history is Slavic and his family have recently adopted Germanic customs.

    I look forward to a response.
    Before you have another go at me, mate, I advise you to read my posts properly. Not once did I say that my husband is Germanic. In fact, when Jaeger suggested that I call him an Anglo-American, I wasn't fine with that. He is Germanicized at most, which ain't the same as Germanic. Germanic ain't just a matter of culture.

    P.S: Ever heard of Gaelic? Go to Ireland or Scotland and tell them they're Germanic LOL.

  8. #18
    Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Jäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Gender
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    65
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    He is Germanicized at most, which ain't the same as Germanic. Germanic ain't just a matter of culture.
    If you believe so, then your deed must be Anti-Germanic preservation by your own standards.

    I agree that culture is not enough, blood counts, blood is race, so race counts.
    If he is of one of the Germanic races, he is Germanic by blood.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

  9. #19
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Gefjon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Gender
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    70
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    170
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    If you believe so, then your deed must be Anti-Germanic preservation by your own standards.
    Nope, I'm Germanic, if I have kids with a non-Germanic white man, my kids will be half Germanic by descent (or blood, whatever you call it). Do some math. They will be fully Germanic by culture. I won't educate them as Serbs. I'll teach them about my culture. If that ain't preservation, then what's it called? Are the fully Germanic wiggers preservationists? Gimme a break. It's not all about blood, the 2-4 or more mixed ethnicity hypocrites here should get it too. There's such thing as cultural preservation too. Do ya think the Irish are Germanic by culture as the Anglo-Americans are? I don't. Go to Ireland, or to an Irish forum and see they still speak Gaelic. My husband doesn't speak Serbian. However, I am still not saying he is Germanic by blood.
    I agree that culture is not enough, blood counts, blood is race, so race counts.
    If he is of one of the Germanic races, he is Germanic by blood.
    There's no such thing as Germanic race. Just so ya know though, my husband and I have been said to be racially compatible. However, by blood he is Serbian. How could he be Germanic by blood if his ancestors came from Serbia? :

  10. #20
    Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Jäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Gender
    Posts
    4,387
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    65
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    Nope, I'm Germanic, if I have kids with a non-Germanic white man, my kids will be half Germanic by descent (or blood, whatever you call it).
    Dividing something which could be one is not preservation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    If that ain't preservation, then what's it called?
    It is preservation, cultural preservation, but you said for yourself being Germanic is more than culture, so it is no Germanic preservation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    It's not all about blood, the 2-4 or more mixed ethnicity hypocrites here should get it too.
    I never said it was, you are twisting my words, you said Germanic is more than culture, and I agreed, I stated race is important, too, but you don't consider your husband Germanic because of his blood, regardless of his race, thus your offspring will only be half-Germanic (not in my opinion, I just follow your logic).

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    There's no such thing as Germanic race.
    You are twisting my words again, I said one of the Germanic races.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fallen Angel View Post
    However, by blood he is Serbian. How could he be Germanic by blood if his ancestors came from Serbia? :
    Because there is no Germanic race, and race is blood, we recognize blood by race.
    (And since race is not just the phenotype, it might be that there actually is a wider Germanic parent-race, but this is a scientific discussion.)
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Germanic Rotterdam & Germanic San Diego; of Equal Importance?
    By OneEnglishNorman in forum Questions About Germanics
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: Monday, September 24th, 2018, 03:11 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, April 26th, 2016, 04:31 PM
  3. Replies: 109
    Last Post: Wednesday, September 16th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •