View Poll Results: Are you pro or against censorship?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am pro censorship in all institutions.

2 4.76%
  • I am against censorship in all institutions.

21 50.00%
  • I am pro censorship in govt owned institutions but against censorship in private institutions.

3 7.14%
  • I am against censorship in govt owned institutions but pro censorship in private institutions.

10 23.81%
  • Other (explain?)

6 14.29%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For, or Against Censorship?

Last Online
    Thursday, October 8th, 2009 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Susisaari View Post
    Currently European governments are trying to censor opinions critical of the immigration policies of those governments. This is pro-government censorship, so apparently you're in favour of censoring all opinions critical of immigration.
    Yes, it is, but it is even more Pro-capitalist/communist/israel/related topics (immigration inclusive).
    Perfection.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce

Secure a future for Germanic children
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Berlin Berlin
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Mother
    Politics
    National Communism
    Religion
    Atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    I am pro censorship in all institutions.

I think censorship is necessary, what's wrong today isn't censorship itself, but the ruling bodies. With nationalists in power, views and ideas hostile to the nation would be censored. I think the press, media and more should be controlled to prevent any hostile ideologies from being inseminated into our nation.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bärin For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    I am against censorship in govt owned institutions but pro censorship in private institutions.

This my vote. The state shouldn't censor its citisens in my opinion, but in privately owned places it should be the owner's choice. It's kind of like when you make a choice whether to allow someone or not in your house.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 15th, 2019 @ 02:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Norwegian, German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    I voted "I am against censorship in govt owned institutions but pro censorship in private institutions."

I in general don't believe in censoring people's opinions, with the exception of privately owned instances. The rights of those to operate as their owners see fit is as important as the rights of citizens not to be censored and punished by governments.

A forum like Skadi would be a good example of what I mean by that. Skadi disallows anti-Germanic content, and for very good reasons. I wouldn't find it fair if there was a government mandated allowance for such opinions.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wyrd For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Canadian
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Norman & German
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Agree with the above, I am opposed to censorship as much as possible. I don't believe that the state should censor and even less to prosecute people for "politically incorrect" speech and expression. However private businesses should be able to coordinate themselves as they wish to. Nobody should be forced to either censor or tolerate something they do not find constructive towards their business.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norman Pride For This Useful Post:

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    No to government type censorship. As for private owners, it should be left up to each to establish their rules. The government or anyone else for that matter shouldn't dictate to them what to allow and what not to allow on their private properties. This is especially true for small and intermediate business owners. When it comes to private institutions, etc. as mentioned, people have the option to leave and go to another place where the rules suit them better (or create one, especially if the demand calls for it). Not all businesses practice censorship for political reasons though. Some corporations that provide Internet access for their employees, customers, students, or members will sometimes limit this access in an attempt to ensure it is used only for the purposes of the corporation. This can be, to a certain extent understandable (e.g. they do not want their employees to spend their time chit-chatting with their friends online), although limiting one's access to information also has the potential to interfere with one's work.

Big business and corporate censorship are iffy though, especially when it comes to worldwide de facto monopolies, who are usually encouraged by government pressure to limit or remove access to content that is judged to be politically incorrect. If someone like Google or Apple takes you down, for example, there isn't much of an alternative left, as these companies dominate the market and have enough resources to buy off any competitors. Say your app is removed from Google Play and Apple App store, you can practically no longer reach people, since both Android and iOS use these services. If your website is removed from Google or your video from YouTube, you become practically non-existent. If all social media giants strike you down, it will be a real challenge to reach others. And realistically, most concerns trace back to the same corporations. In the US for example, 90% of the media is controlled by six major giants. That's quite a large percentage to just be divided by a factor of six, especially if we compare it to 30 years ago, when this percentage was held by 50 different companies, which is what most people would assume it would be now; but thanks to mergers and buyouts, it's down the aforementioned six (until someone else buys another). This infographic reveals just how much of a monopoly the "Big 6" is.

In Europe, platforms are incentivized to take down first, ask questions second. Recently, the European Commission published a new recommendation demanding that internet/tech companies remove "extremist" and other objectionable content flagged to them in less than an hour - or face legislation forcing them to do so. The Commission also endorsed transparency reports as a way to demonstrate how they are complying with the law.

This is a relatively new move, in fact companies like Google used to publish reports on government censorship and pride themselves with not complying with such requests. It recorded the number of demands for information about users or takedowns of content that Google received from governments around the world. The goal was to make authorities think twice before making such requests and to show how Google defended freedom of expression. Fast forward a decade and so-called democracies are now agonizing over "fake news" and "terrorist propaganda". Now tech companies take pride cracking down on politically incorrect content and developing AI to take down objectionable content. The more takedowns, the better. A lot of perfectly legal content has been removed in the process. The question is whether one really wants (and trusts) these companies and their managers to be making such consequential decisions about what basically billions of people around the world can - and cannot - read, watch and learn. To make matters worse, many of those tech companies claim to be open platforms and defenders of free expression. Between pressuring big corporations to practice censorship or to respect the right to free expression, the latter would seem like the more sensible option.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aeternitas For This Useful Post:

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    359 Posts
    Define "censorship."

I am all for seizing control of the system and censoring anti-white communists. These cultural marxist tumors who have infested the folk body for the past hundred years or so prove that we just cannot allow blanket freedom of speech. It's just like "free trade" ... someone always games the system so the only people who are hurt are those who naively believe in these principles. Nations ARE PEOPLES, and PEOPLES must look after their OWN interests. The de facto meaning of "free speech" in America (and increasingly in all the West) has been that (((those in power))) can monopolize the media and educational curricula and define all the terms for everyone else. When the goyim get uppity and want a voice? Well, you see what happens. We cannot have freedom and have Jews too.
    Most people think as they are trained to think, and most people make a majority.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Huginn ok Muninn For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Thursday, June 6th, 2019 @ 09:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    Mercian, Ulster & Midlothian
    Subrace
    Nordid & North-Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Mercia Mercia
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Research Scientist
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Anglo-Saxon Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I'm completely against any censorship of speech by governments. Hate speech laws are abhorrent to me, as they will inevitably be vaguly defined and therefore easily abused by whoever is in power.

From the British perspective, we no longer have any free speech. Americans do not realise how lucky they are to have your 1st Amendment.

For businesses I feel it should be up to them. However it's not sensible to censor, as it just pushes people away from your service and to your competitors.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The Mercian For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    9 Hours Ago @ 06:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    449 Posts
    The left doesn't believe in freedom of speech so why should I?
    "You should have thought of the value of differing opinions when you were in charge"
    Adolf Hitler to his political opponents.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Astragoth For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Thursday, June 6th, 2019 @ 09:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Celtic
    Ancestry
    Mercian, Ulster & Midlothian
    Subrace
    Nordid & North-Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Mercia Mercia
    Sagittarius
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Research Scientist
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Anglo-Saxon Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Astragoth View Post
    The left doesn't believe in freedom of speech so why should I?
    "You should have thought of the value of differing opinions when you were in charge"
    Adolf Hitler to his political opponents.
    With respect, wouldn’t this stance make you no better than the current Leftists in charge of companies like Facebook and mainstream media outlets?

I’m no pacifist, but the saying; “Two wrongs do not make a right,” seem to apply well here. You’d replace censorship you hate with censorship you like.

This position seems reactionary, and destined to backfire horrifically.

http://youtu.be/GGEsN1v9cZA

I may get a lot of crap for posting this video here, but I can’t find fault in the logic here. Hopefully the thick Scot accent doesn’t switch you off immediately.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Mercian For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast