Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 92

Thread: Faroe Islands Has World's Highest Rate of Adoptions

  1. #11
    Senior Member Drakkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 12th, 2012 @ 01:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Northwest Europe
    Subrace
    Dalo-Faelid w/ Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Veneto, Italia
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    Representative Town Meeting
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    The earth belongs to no one. The fact that I happen to be born in the Faroes by sheer coincidence doesn't mean the place belongs to me. The same goes for America.
    I just don't understand this reasoning at all. There is obviously a reality of nation and race, whether the idea is uncomfortable to you or not. If this is confronted by the adversity of adoption, which is the intent on bringing in foreigners, these realities are distorted but are still evident. I have talked again and again with adopted American children who have identity problems, so I think it's safe for me to say that it is not a good idea. Diversity is one of the most overrated concepts of all time. The Faroese have to learn that they are not many but enough to flourish in the country that their ancestors created. How, I don't know, but it wouldn't help for a government to come along that understands this dilemma that their people face.

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 @ 04:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Faroese
    Country
    Faroe Islands Faroe Islands
    Gender
    Age
    32
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    nothing
    Religion
    nothing
    Posts
    20
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dakkar:

    I just don't understand this reasoning at all. There is obviously a reality of nation and race, whether the idea is uncomfortable to you or not. If this is confronted by the adversity of adoption, which is the intent on bringing in foreigners, these realities are distorted but are still evident. I have talked again and again with adopted American children who have identity problems, so I think it's safe for me to say that it is not a good idea. Diversity is one of the most overrated concepts of all time. The Faroese have to learn that they are not many but enough to flourish in the country that their ancestors created. How, I don't know, but it wouldn't help for a government to come along that understands this dilemma that their people face.
    You talk about "the reality of nation and race". First of all nation: a nation isn't "real". A nation is a pragmatic system, created by people, and if this system gets in the way of human lives, then it is our duty to change that system. Race: I don't believe in difference of races. Yes, it is true that black people run faster than white people, and white people swim faster than black people, but who cares? We can all live together. In fact, a black person can donate an organ to a white person. This is how small the difference is. But if that weren't the case, it still wouldn't make a difference to me.

    My encounter with people of different "races" (read: people with different skin and eye colour) has for the most part been beneficial. Growing up with a few adopted children at school and elsewhere around me has only made me more tolerant, and travelling to Africa has lifted my spirits, because the people there are so immensely cheerful. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from depression. My point: all "races" have something to conribute.

  3. #13
    Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

    Dagna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Northern German, Scandinavian
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Norway Norway
    Location
    Norway
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Politics
    Classic Liberalism
    Religion
    Agnosticism
    Posts
    2,098
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    19
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    74
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    Dakkar:



    You talk about "the reality of nation and race". First of all nation: a nation isn't "real". A nation is a pragmatic system, created by people, and if this system gets in the way of human lives, then it is our duty to change that system. Race: I don't believe in difference of races. Yes, it is true that black people run faster than white people, and white people swim faster than black people, but who cares? We can all live together. In fact, a black person can donate an organ to a white person. This is how small the difference is. But if that weren't the case, it still wouldn't make a difference to me.

    My encounter with people of different "races" (read: people with different skin and eye colour) has for the most part been beneficial. Growing up with a few adopted children at school and elsewhere around me has only made me more tolerant, and travelling to Africa has lifted my spirits, because the people there are so immensely cheerful. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from depression. My point: all "races" have something to conribute.
    I agree with you, somewhat. I oppose racism. However, I believe that bringing foreigners into a foreign country and asking them to convert to the lifestyle and habits of the locals counts as racism too. This has happened in my country. Blacks from Africa were brought in as slaves. Today, their African heritage has been wiped out. They are "African-Americans", but other than their skin color and bone shape, there is nothing African left about them. They do not speak an African language and they do not practice the customs practiced by Africans in Africa. We have robbed them of their heritage. I do not believe that is right, because I am a preservationist and I wish for the heritage of all people to be valued and preserved. Today's "democratic" countries are slowly turning into totalitarian regimes, like National Socialist Germany was. The National Socialist took Slavic children (Poles, for example) and turned them into "Aryans". They robbed them of their heritage. This is not acceptable to me. Today, rich people and others who want to make "charity acts" and look good socially, adopt children from third world countries and Eastern Europe. While they enjoy a better material lifestyle there, they grow up as something they are not and lose their heritage forever. Thus, I believe adoptions should only be allowed between ethnically and culturally similar countries (for example, the Scandinavian countries).


    Die Sonne scheint noch.

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Gender
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    Dakkar:



    You talk about "the reality of nation and race". First of all nation: a nation isn't "real". A nation is a pragmatic system, created by people, and if this system gets in the way of human lives, then it is our duty to change that system. Race: I don't believe in difference of races. Yes, it is true that black people run faster than white people, and white people swim faster than black people, but who cares? We can all live together. In fact, a black person can donate an organ to a white person. This is how small the difference is. But if that weren't the case, it still wouldn't make a difference to me.

    My encounter with people of different "races" (read: people with different skin and eye colour) has for the most part been beneficial. Growing up with a few adopted children at school and elsewhere around me has only made me more tolerant, and travelling to Africa has lifted my spirits, because the people there are so immensely cheerful. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from depression. My point: all "races" have something to conribute.
    A functioning nation is more than just a pragmatic system. It's an identification factor based on common culture, language, ideology and/or heritage. These things are necessary to create cohesion among people. Recent harvard studies have showed that the more "diverse" a neighborhood is the smaller is the cohesion among them hence these similarities to identify with something bigger than yourself are necessary.
    Race is also more than just skincolour. Race is scientificly spoken a population with significant morphological, genetic or ethological differences to other populations of the same species. There are a lot of small differences in bones, muscles, hormons,face, skin, reasoning and so on that make them a different race, though still the same species.


    Africa would be one of the most boring places for me and if I had money I'd prefer to travel to somewhere in Europe or Asia to experience some more sophisticated cultures with own rich history, architecture and with.... proper toilets (yeah, I need them as somebody suffering from an inflammatory bowel disease).
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Drakkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 12th, 2012 @ 01:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Northwest Europe
    Subrace
    Dalo-Faelid w/ Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Veneto, Italia
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    Representative Town Meeting
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    You talk about "the reality of nation and race". First of all nation: a nation isn't "real". A nation is a pragmatic system, created by people, and if this system gets in the way of human lives, then it is our duty to change that system.
    So would you propose destroying a system composed of a unique society and culture if it "got in the way of human lives"? If so, it sounds like you prefer humanism over any kind of ethnic and cultural preservation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    Race: I don't believe in difference of races. Yes, it is true that black people run faster than white people, and white people swim faster than black people, but who cares? We can all live together. In fact, a black person can donate an organ to a white person. This is how small the difference is. But if that weren't the case, it still wouldn't make a difference to me. My encounter with people of different "races" (read: people with different skin and eye colour) has for the most part been beneficial. Growing up with a few adopted children at school and elsewhere around me has only made me more tolerant, and travelling to Africa has lifted my spirits, because the people there are so immensely cheerful. I would recommend it to anyone suffering from depression. My point: all "races" have something to conribute.
    Your stereotypes and overall understanding of the human race confirms your ignorance on the matter. Furthermore, the focus here is not racial understanding; it is protecting what has been used to identify a certain people for centuries.

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Wednesday, January 26th, 2011 @ 04:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    Faroese
    Country
    Faroe Islands Faroe Islands
    Gender
    Age
    32
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    nothing
    Religion
    nothing
    Posts
    20
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Drakkar:
    So would you propose destroying a system composed of a unique society and culture if it "got in the way of human lives"?
    I wasn't talking about destruction of systems at all, at least that's not what I meant. Rather, I was talking about changing or improving the system. By the way, in case you haven't noticed, the system changes all the time, regardless of conscious human intervention. The point I was trying to make is: The system is there for the people, and not the other way around.

    If so, it sounds like you prefer humanism over any kind of ethnic and cultural preservation.
    The quality of life for any human being is determined by a lot of different values, some of which conflict with each other at times. Sometimes culture gets in the way of people, and that's when the individual has to decide what matters the most. I choose people. Don't know whether or not that makes me a humanist.

    Your stereotypes and overall understanding of the human race confirms your ignorance on the matter. Furthermore, the focus here is not racial understanding; it is protecting what has been used to identify a certain people for centuries.
    As I said above, what is used to identify a nation or culture changes all the time. the idea that cultural or national identity is something eternal is an illusion. This doesn't mean that cultural traits are not worth preserving, though. And by the way, if we're not talking about race, what is the problem with adoption then? If the child is brought to the Faroes at the age of 4 months, what difference does it make to culture?

    Even if someone with a different cultural background moves to the Faroes, it doesn't mean the "unique" system is destroyed. On the contrary, in many cases the culture is enriched. Many immigrants have contributed to my definition of contemporary Faroese culture.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Gender
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,464
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    Drakkar:


    I wasn't talking about destruction of systems at all, at least that's not what I meant. Rather, I was talking about changing or improving the system. By the way, in case you haven't noticed, the system changes all the time, regardless of conscious human intervention. The point I was trying to make is: The system is there for the people, and not the other way around.
    How is mass immigration as it has happened on continental Europe for decades already improving the system? Cultural systems are indeed something fluid but that does not necessarily mean the anti-cultural behaviour we have nowadays among many not-old people. Like Kennedy said, don't ask what your country does for you but ask what you can do for your country. As I said already, nations are more than just pragmatic groups.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post

    The quality of life for any human being is determined by a lot of different values, some of which conflict with each other at times. Sometimes culture gets in the way of people, and that's when the individual has to decide what matters the most. I choose people. Don't know whether or not that makes me a humanist.
    It's right that cultures have sometimes negative aspects,too, like it was once widespread to throw people into the bog to drown there. However, as a preservationist, we should should keep the positive and neutral aspects of our culture atleast. No need to throw them into the bog,too. The individual does not necessarily mean most, that's just this way in individualism but there are more people than just yourself and you should think about them,too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post
    And by the way, if we're not talking about race, what is the problem with adoption then? If the child is brought to the Faroes at the age of 4 months, what difference does it make to culture?
    Race is also a part of the collective heritage of a nation and I don't really understand why they adopt them anyways. Aren't there any not so alien people to adopt?Even if blacks or indians in a domestic way they will always search for their roots somewhen...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jónurin View Post

    Even if someone with a different cultural background moves to the Faroes, it doesn't mean the "unique" system is destroyed. On the contrary, in many cases the culture is enriched. Many immigrants have contributed to my definition of contemporary Faroese culture.
    If it's just someone, it will not destroy the culture, of course, but it will eventually if that person won't come alone and a lot more will follow. Just look at England's urban areas. They are basicly lost and most immigrants there are not interested at all to constribute something to English culture and do not even identify as such.
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Drakkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Last Online
    Monday, March 12th, 2012 @ 01:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    Northwest Europe
    Subrace
    Dalo-Faelid w/ Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Location
    Veneto, Italia
    Gender
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    student
    Politics
    Representative Town Meeting
    Religion
    Catholic
    Posts
    626
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    If it's just someone, it will not destroy the culture, of course, but it will eventually if that person won't come alone and a lot more will follow. Just look at England's urban areas. They are basicly lost and most immigrants there are not interested at all to constribute something to English culture and do not even identify as such.
    Well, remember that old article that reported most non-whites in England and the rest of Great Britain do value their "Britishness," so that's not entirely true.

    Even with all this national pride, however, they still practice their customs and culture from back home. Plus, they can never look English or Scottish etc. so it never completely works out for them or for the multicultural governments of today.

    My point is that this is a failed experiment and a sense of national belonging is strongest with those of old stock, once you take away the multicultural propaganda telling them that it is not okay to love where you're from. Other cultures and massive immigration does not enrich a country, it only detracts from its original inlaid culture. The degree in how culture is wiped away depends on how much immigration is allowed, basically. It's really that simple. When you see it up close and in person, I promise this will not seem so unrealistic to you.

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Washington Washington
    Location
    Yelm
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Polity capitated per constituent
    Religion
    a priori dialectic thelema/odal
    Posts
    285
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cythraul View Post
    ....If you could show them a vision of Europe in 100 years time - various countries under Sharia law, diluted bloodlines, compromised cultures and mass-urbanization - they'd be horrified and cease to support such leftist ideologies.
    Some years ago, I was happening through the television channels and came across an episode of a talk show, Jenny Jones, it had something to do with racism. The host read some statistic that in 20 years time whites would no longer be the majority race in the United States but be a minority; the whole audience, mostly white, became wildly excited & cheered enthusiastically.

  10. #20
    Senior Member Cythraul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    Friday, April 23rd, 2010 @ 08:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England & Nederlands
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    England England
    Location
    Buckinghamshire
    Gender
    Age
    35
    Family
    Engaged
    Occupation
    Graphic Design
    Politics
    Cynical
    Religion
    Old
    Posts
    848
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagelfar View Post
    Some years ago, I was happening through the television channels and came across an episode of a talk show, Jenny Jones, it had something to do with racism. The host read some statistic that in 20 years time whites would no longer be the majority race in the United States but be a minority; the whole audience, mostly white, became wildly excited & cheered enthusiastically.
    Wow! Now that's self-hate on another level... which is just as counter-productive as hating other races.
    "If by being a racialist, you mean a man who despises a human being because he belongs to another race, or a man that believes one race is inherently superior to another in civilisation or capability of civilisation, then the answer is emphatically no." - Enoch Powell

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Faroe Islands on Facebook
    By Dagna in forum Faroe Islands
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Wednesday, July 4th, 2012, 11:33 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, January 31st, 2012, 07:02 AM
  3. British Occupation of the Faroe Islands in World War II
    By Dagna in forum Modern Age & Contemporary History
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Friday, March 13th, 2009, 12:31 AM
  4. Faroe Islands: Photos from 1899
    By Dagna in forum Faroe Islands
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Thursday, March 12th, 2009, 10:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •