Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As we've been available to read from severeal studies English are overwhelmingly Germanic, genetically alomoust identical to North-Germans and Danes.
    As far as I'm aware, there is only one (perhaps rather suspect) study which supposedly found this.

All the other studies have concluded that a substantial majority are descended from the pre-Germanic inhabitants.

Besides, the Pre-Germanic population probably included a significant element who were genetically related to the peoples of North Germany.

Thus they are Germanic in their origins, not indegious Celtic or any other just like this article, backed with latest research proves!
    I don't think it's the latest research, but rather some research done some years ago which has been regurgitated by the media quite a few times.

There's no such thing as Borreby or Nordid genes! The typological system of thirties, overemphasizing cephalic index and facial index are ridiculous at the time of DNA.
    DNA must be interpreted in the light of historical and anthropological evidence. DNA testing is not exactly an infallible way of ascertaining these things. If you start with the wrong assumptions, you can be way out.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    227 Posts
    The Anglo-Saxons did manage to impose their language & their laws in England. The Romans did not do this, though they did in Gaul. The Franks in Gaul, Visigoths in Spain & Lombards in Italy were all small groups of invaders who formed the aristocracy & were obsorbed lingistically & culturally into the conquered population. This did not happen to the Anglo-Saxons. The Normans were essentially a small aristicratic group in the way that some theorize the Anglo-Saxons were. And yet the Normans did not supplant English with French (though they did intoduce many words of Latin origin into the English language) or change the legal system :033102st:.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Americ View Post
    The Anglo-Saxons did manage to impose their language & their laws in England. The Romans did not do this, though they did in Gaul. The Franks in Gaul, Visigoths in Spain & Lombards in Italy were all small groups of invaders who formed the aristocracy & were obsorbed lingistically & culturally into the conquered population. This did not happen to the Anglo-Saxons.

Excuse me, but it's not completely exact............Anglo-saxons were (numerically) the same as Franks and Lombards.

Lombards in Italy were estimated in 300'000 about. not less than Anglosaxons in Britain.

So the explaination is another one, i think. More complicate.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 18th, 2017 @ 11:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    Excuse me, but it's not completely exact............Anglo-saxons were (numerically) the same as Franks and Lombards.

Lombards in Italy were estimated in 300'000 about. not less than Anglosaxons in Britain.

So the explaination is another one, i think. More complicate.
    You've either missed or chosen to ignore his point there; obviously the numbers in England WERE NOT the same, or else the Anglo Saxons would have been absorbed in the way all the other invaders were, you quote the Anglo Saxon 300,000 figure as if it was a fact, we have no idea of how many germanic people moved to England.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 10:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhydderch View Post
    Besides, the Pre-Germanic population probably included a significant element who were genetically related to the peoples of North Germany.
    Exactly--and I think this a very important element to consider in this whole discussion.....

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rivalin View Post
    You've either missed or chosen to ignore his point there; obviously the numbers in England WERE NOT the same, or else the Anglo Saxons would have been absorbed in the way all the other invaders were, you quote the Anglo Saxon 300,000 figure as if it was a fact, we have no idea of how many germanic people moved to England.

I read several articles in the past. And NO on eof them gave an estimate demographic consistence major than 300'000/400'000 for Anglosaxons

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Why fret about numbers? All you really need to do to get your head around this problem is open your eyes to what's happening NOW in England. While natives are still the mass of the population, their centres of population are rapidly becoming strongholds of invaders. The invaders breed more, and marginalise the natives, who then often end up breeding with them rather than with their own kind, or else the natives seem to fall into a general apathy/malaise and not breed at all, as though sensing the futility of it.

As for the Langobards, they came down into the Mediterranean world, where urbanism had been around for almost millenia, where civilisation in the Mediterranean style had become irrevocably ingrained. The Angles and Saxons came into a Britain devastated by plague, economic collapse, periodic raiding and civil strife, and where urban life for the overwhelming mass of the population had only really been around for a few generations, or 200 years at most.

Anyway, the key to England is the regional aspect. Germanic conquest took different forms in different areas, and took place at different times, producing a highly complex picture of Germanic core settlement and diffusion.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 06:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rivalin
    You've either missed or chosen to ignore his point there; obviously the numbers in England WERE NOT the same, or else the Anglo Saxons would have been absorbed in the way all the other invaders were
    I don't think you can assume that. I believe there are other explanations, although I think the British culturally absorbed the Anglo-Saxons far more than it's often believed.

The primary difference between the continental Germanic conquests and those in Britain, as far as absorbtion is concerned, is in the area of language. Otherwise I don't think the situations are that different.

I wrote out my hypothesis as to why English prevailed in Germanic-ruled Britain. I can't remember what thread I had it in though.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 06:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish (basically)
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    As for the Langobards, they came down into the Mediterranean world, where urbanism had been around for almost millenia, where civilisation in the Mediterranean style had become irrevocably ingrained. The Angles and Saxons came into a Britain devastated by plague, economic collapse, periodic raiding and civil strife, and where urban life for the overwhelming mass of the population had only really been around for a few generations, or 200 years at most.
    Well, the situation in Britain prior to the conquest was similar to on the continent. It was less culturally Romanised, but probably just as prosperous and populated.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhydderch View Post
    Well, the situation in Britain prior to the conquest was similar to on the continent. It was less culturally Romanised, but probably just as prosperous and populated.
    I did say collapse. But how much of the late Imperial agricultural system would have survived? How much relevance would Roman city life have had in the memory of the peasants who were conquered by the Angles? As for the townsfolk themselves, these would have suffered most in the disasters that Bede and Gildas record. Anyone with owt about him would have upped and left for Gaul, with the bravest falling under the seax at the final reckoning. There must have been a decline in truly Romanised Britons, as a man from the less civilised west was able to take over - Vortigern. Bear in mind also the activities of the Bacaudae in Gaul, resulting from the social stress internal to the system. Envisage Russia after 1917, and the breakdown of bread delivery to the cities. Even with the violent efforts of forcible requisitioners (various -shteyns and -bergs so on...), the Soviet government couldn't stop a severe crisis of depopulation of the cities. The country was a mess, as you doubtless have seen in Dr. Zhivago or whatever, and Britannia was probably in a similar state in 449.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast