Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Young Is Too Young for Birth Control?

Last Online
    Sunday, November 9th, 2008 @ 05:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    MYOB
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How Young Is Too Young for Birth Control?

Parents and school officials are preparing to battle tonight in a debate about the sexual health of children at one Maine school district.

Administrators at a Portland middle school are considering a bold proposal that would allow students to access a broader range of contraceptives from the school's health center.

King Middle School's health center already provides condoms as part of its reproductive health program, implemented after five of the 135 students who visited the center last year reported being sexually active.

Prescriptions for birth control pills and patches would be included in the new measure, which has become a lightning rod for controversy in the area.

"We do certainly sit down and speak with them about why that's not a good choice," said Portland's school nurse coordinator Amanda Rowe of sexually active students. "But there are some who persist, even though we don't like to think about that in being sexually active, and they need to be protected."

The school's female students are in grades six to eight and range from ages 11 to 13.

"It will provide a means of making sure you don't get pregnant and ruin your school career and limit yourself in the future," Rowe said.

The students will need a parent's written permission to access any services provided, but they would not have to disclose which service they receive, a point of contention for some.

"They are sending mixed messages. In the state of Maine it is illegal to have sex under the age of 14," said cable talk show host and ABC News commentator Glen Beck on "Good Morning America" today. "You are enabling people."

Beck argued that the plan makes it too easy for girls to have sex and takes power away from the parent, a sentiment some parents agree with.

"I don't think I would want my child in middle school to be getting birth control pills unless I had something to do with it," one woman said.
    More.

Isn't this a matter for parents, and not officials, to decide upon?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The mere fact that if your kid is having sex at 11, or even 13 or 14 for that matter, there are bigger issues to deal with than birth control.

Last Online
    Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 @ 11:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I would understand more the offering of birth control if it was a secondary school.

However, at that age, I think a basic education is necessary (it is in cirriculum here) but they should be strongly discouraged.
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Saturday, June 14th, 2008 @ 02:40 PM
    Subrace
    Baltid+Brunn+Atlantid
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Disoriented
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hum...as if all the hormones and antibiotics in our food were not enough....at that age any form of hormonal therapy is very dangerous...
    a generation of freaks coming up...but hey, at least they'll all have their high school diplomas eyes:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts

Wink

The 12-year-old that was given a morning-after pill at Boots, and she's not the only one

Six days ago, Sarah Canlin walked into a Boots chemist in Derby and requested the morningafter pill.

The smiling pharmacist led her to a corner, gestured to her to sit down and proceeded to ask her name, when she last had sex, whether she used protection, who her doctor was, and finally, her age.

The consultation took all of ten minutes, at the end of which the pharmacist handed her the morning-after pill.

So far, so routine.

Yet Sarah is just 12 - and disturbing proof of how easy it is for under-age girls to obtain the emergency contraception without any thorough checks.

Click for more

This is outrageous. The pill can have negative consequences on adults, let alone on 12 year old kids! 12 years old is too young for sex... What the hell is going on with this world. eyes: The reaction of their mothers is stunning!

"I understand society is changing and that girls are having sex younger and younger."

"I would be horrified if Sarah started having sex at such a young age, especially without using protection, but she also knows that if anything like that ever did happen, of course I would support her.

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Though it is better to have a kid taking the morning after pill than being pregnant.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It would even be better if the boyfriend (of the day) used a condom.
    But... hell.. they are far too young for this kind of fun.:

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't support birth control pills for women of any age. Especially after someone I know got the blood clots from them.

They're just not healthy.

What I think is really sick about this whole issue, though, is that if a girl goes to the nurse at our school and asks for asprin, she has to call home and get parental permission first. She can get scheduled for an abortion or take a pregnancy test without any parental knowledge of it whatsoever.

I don't understand why the age for medical privacy is 15, while the age of consent is 16. I still like my mom to go to the doctor's with me and to be aware of my health. Why should a girl who isn't even old enough to be having sex by the government's standards have the right to conceal her medical records from her parents? Especially when they're the ones paying for her insurance.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Birth control isn't really so problematic, in my opinion...

I prefer not to tell my parents all my medical issues. I can understand why that the girl would not want to tell her parents about her pregnancy (etc.). I certainly would not want to tell my parents "I am pregnant", nor would I want to tell my parents "I have syphilis" or something equally unpleasant (neither of which is true, by the way). I would not want to upset my parents with such news. My health is my responsibility.

But what are we to say that teenagers cannot have sex? Hell, a few hundred years ago, they were getting married and having children. This age was progressively pushed up due to changes in society.

Money is irrelvent to the issue.

Last Online
    Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    My health is my responsibility.
    That's your personal statement. Teens aren't given all or no responsibility with the issue. Personally, I care more about my right to deal with a headache without having to call my mom first to check if it's okay than I do about dealing with the prospect of pregnancy. If someone doesn't know by a certain age whether or not it is safe for them to take asprin, are they really qualified to have sex?

Quote Originally Posted by Freydis
    But what are we to say that teenagers cannot have sex? Hell, a few hundred years ago, they were getting married and having children. This age was progressively pushed up due to changes in society.
    I don't know who we are to say that, and I wasn't saying that. Who are we to say that parents don't have the right to know what's going on with their children? Personally, I think that the laws aren't really matched properly. If someone isn't able to be trusted with having sex, why are they trusted with taking care of their medical records? I suppose it's like how in the US, 18 year olds can register for the draft and vote, but they cannot drink (I know it's for medical/developmental reasons). Or how in most states, a 16 year old can have sex with a 17 year old, but not a 19 year old. Generally, I just don't like laws based off of age, but if they're going to do it, they might as well try to make it somewhat sensible.

Teenagers can have sex all they want, I sincerely don't care. I just don't think it's right that a school won't give a kid asprin because their parents won't pick up the phone, but they'll let them get birth control (or an abortion or a pregnancy test) without anybody knowing about it. Either parents should be consulted for both or for neither. If one should go without permission, I honestly think it should be the asprin. I think the birth control is a bigger deal, personally, considering it messes with your hormones, is taken on a consisent basis, and can cause potentially fatal problems for people with blood/heart issues that teenagers usually aren't aware they have or even healthy people.

Money is irrelvent to the issue.
    K. Here in the US, most teenagers are on their parents' insurance. If my mother's insurance was billed $565 dollars with a $5 co-pay, I think she might like to know what the hell the doctor and I decided to do and about what. And I'd think, considering that she pays for the insurance, it might be nice to tell her something, however vague it is.

Most girls my age I know who are on birthcontrol usually even have their mothers remind them to take it. Unappealing to the independent young adult, I'm sure, but most people's parents do care about them and would rather keep them safe than keep them within their moral constraints, especially in our modern world, especially in the teen years.
    Polygamy: it might not be for you, but what right do you have to keep it from me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast