Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's the Tipping Policy in Your Region?

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 @ 08:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian/Ruthenian
    Subrace
    Pontid/North Pontid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Politics
    Eurocentric Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In America, tipping 15% at restaurants is the norm for average service, and tipping 20% or more is the norm for exceptional service.

At buffets most customers tip between 10-15% becuase the environment isn't full service. At buffets all the servers do is get your drinks and take the dirty plates off your table.

Since I've worked on and off as a server during my late teens and early 20's I pretty much always leave 20% wherever I go, very rarely any more or any less.

At bars, I'm more inclined to tip 15% since bartenders usually make hourly rates of $8.00 and up per hour while servers usually only make $2.13 per hour at most places.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    A month or so ago, at a bar, one of the 2 drinks I ordered came about 20 minutes too late because the bartender is an idiot, I left 'only' a $1.50 tip (about 10% of the total, or 20% of the one I got served on time), and afterwards as I was leaving the other bartender came out to lecture me that I should give them "at least 20% if not more". .
    In the customer service industry it's extremely rude to talk back to a customer. One of the golden rules is that the customer is always right. The guy you mentioned sounds like a snooty a-hole, acting as if he was working at the Ritz-Carlton or something.

Most servers don't expect 20% but they do expect 15% or more.

On one occasion I did flip out at a party for lousy tipping. The people were white trash, coming in with sweatpants and t-shirts with all kinds of stains on them.

Basically, I never did anything wrong. I brought out their drinks right away, their food came out quick, I checked up on them a few minutes later to see if they were ok, brought them refills, offered them dessert, etc,

$60 bill and a $2 tip.

They came back a few months later and this time their check was $70 with 4 quarters on the table. :

The first time wasn't a coincidence. I later chased them out into the parking lot and handed them their four quarters back.

Me: Excuse me mam, you left your change at the table
    Cheap customer: That's not change, that's your tip
    Me: That's not a tip, that's an insult. Keep it you obviosly need it more then I do
    Cheap customer: How rude, we'll never come here again
    Me: Good! Go to McDonalds then, atleast you're not required to leave tips there!

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 08:41 PM
    Ethnicity
    Icelandic, 1/4 Eng
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's unheard of here for the most part, maybe If you go to some yuppie club to eat you'll leave a tip. No idea how much they give, but I doubt anyone here goes over 15%

Last Online
    Wednesday, April 25th, 2012 @ 08:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hungarian/Ruthenian
    Subrace
    Pontid/North Pontid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Politics
    Eurocentric Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    In Europe, most servers make generous hourly wages so tipping isn't common. In America, over 90% of your pay comes from tips and less then 10% comes from hourly wages.

When I was in the UK, my college travel group would leave 15-20% when we ate out and the servers would act all pleasantly suprised when they recieved it.

I have a part time waiting job now and it's quite normal to get tourists from the UK. Last time I checked the British pound exceeded the American dollar 1.9 to 1. So when you waited on British customers they'd usually buy expensive wine and spend alot of money. Most would only leave 10%. Other servers would consider themselves lucky to recieve 15-20% from them. However, it's not their fault. We just have different customs.

However, Brits were extremely polite, patient, and courteous. They were very easy to wait on and they never complained about anything. So their low tipping really didn't bother me that much

The worst waiting job I ever had was at some pancake house. Lots of African-American customers, ugh!!! They would always complain about the food and service. If they didn't like the way their food turned out they'd ask for it to be taken off their check (and that was after they had already eaten most of it). Needless to say, I got out of that job after less then a month.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 @ 07:02 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In my country tipping isn't common practice (by my knowlegde). Wages here are very high and so are the prices so I am not likely to tell the waiter/waitress to keep the change. (even though, the south has a more generous culture then the north).
    Because of the prices in my country (esspecialy in bars and restaurants) tipping on top of what you are paying isn't a bright thing to do either: one is paying some 30 euro's for a meal for two here and +3.50 for a good pint of beer)

Account Disabled on Request
    Last Online
    Friday, January 8th, 2010 @ 08:32 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Lappland Lappland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Axis View Post
    Do you tip generously or not at all?
    When it is a place I like and visit often, I'll leave a $5 tip for a cup of coffee. If it is somewhere else with bad service, I leave a few pitiful coins on the table to let them know how much they stink.

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lögsögumađur View Post
    In my country tipping isn't common practice (by my knowlegde). Wages here are very high and so are the prices so I am not likely to tell the waiter/waitress to keep the change. (even though, the south has a more generous culture then the north).
    Because of the prices in my country (esspecialy in bars and restaurants) tipping on top of what you are paying isn't a bright thing to do either: one is paying some 30 euro's for a meal for two here and +3.50 for a good pint of beer)
    Yeah, it's about the same here. A 12 oz (.333 L or 3/4 pint) of beer usually runs you $5, and meals at decent restaurants cost around $15-$20
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lögsögumađur View Post
    In Belgium, it's pretty much the same. There is no common tipping practice out here, which means you only tip when you're REALLY satisfied with the service and the amount is very dependent on individual taste. The only exception is telling the waiter to keep the change, which is more common. This, however, is usually just very small amounts.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    Yeah, it's about the same here. A 12 oz (.333 L or 3/4 pint) of beer usually runs you $5, and meals at decent restaurants cost around $15-$20
    Your beers are damn expensive. In Belgium, you pay about between 1,5 and 2 Euro for a pint of decent lager and between 2 and 4 Euro for most special beers.

By the way, do note that we are known to have the best beers in the world. Most Belgians would never really manage to finish a Heiniken or Budweiser as they both remind them of cat piss.

Last Online
    Monday, April 4th, 2016 @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post
    Your beers are damn expensive. In Belgium, you pay about between 1,5 and 2 Euro for a pint of decent lager and between 2 and 4 Euro for most special beers.
    In Belgium (or Flanders, to be correct) they don't even serve pints to my knowledge, as that would be half a litre. While Maes or Stella Artois may be that cheap I dount I'd get a Duvel in a bar for 4 Euro - or I have always looked in the wrong places.

And around here we do not really tip either. I usually round up the amounts, which is at best a 10% tip.
    And all my youth passed by sad-hearted,
    the joy of Spring was never mine;
    Autumn blows through me dread of parting,
    and my heart dreams and longs to die.

- Nikolaus Lenau (1802-1850)

Real misanthropes are not found in solitude, but in the world; since it is experience of life, and not philosophy, which produces real hatred of mankind.

- Giacomo Leopardi (1798-1837)

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IlluSionSxxx View Post

By the way, do note that we are known to have the best beers in the world. Most Belgians would never really manage to finish a Heiniken or Budweiser as they both remind them of cat piss.
    Yeah, I think taxes may have something to do with it. Budweiser/Coors/Miller are generally served by low class bars and cost ~$2.50, standard imports like Heineken, Stella Artois, Magner's and Beck's cost about $5, same for American microbreweries. Add 20% to all of the above for decent restaurants. Anything 'higher class' than those can only be found at rare pubs, and cost about $8 or so.

Prices in stores are about 1/5-1/3 of the above prices, depending on where you buy it and the quantity.
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Sunday, December 14th, 2008 @ 02:57 PM
    Ethnicity
    Flemish
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phlegethon View Post
    In Belgium (or Flanders, to be correct) they don't even serve pints to my knowledge, as that would be half a litre. While Maes or Stella Artois may be that cheap I dount I'd get a Duvel in a bar for 4 Euro - or I have always looked in the wrong places.
    Oops, my mistake...

A standard lager is 25 cl and in some places 33 cl. The price for a 25 cl costs an average of 1,60 Euro and the price of a 33 cl costs a bit more. You can get a 50 cl beer in several pubs, but it's not very popular out here because Belgians don't like it when their beer gets warm. The price for a 50 cl beer would be somewhere around between 3 Euro and 3,50 Euro. Nevertheless, that still sounds fairly cheap in comparison with poor American beers

The standard size of special beers differs from brand to brand, but it's usually also 25 cl or 33 cl. And like I said, prices usually vary between 2 and 4 Euro. If you haven't been able to get a Duvel for 4 Euro, I do think you've been looking in the wrong places. Where have you been looking?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast