Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

Jewish Power Dominates at 'Vanity Fair'

Interesting...

Oct 11, 2007 23:40 | Updated Oct 12, 2007 8:48

Jewish power dominates at 'Vanity Fair'

By NATHAN BURSTEIN

It's a list of "the world's most powerful people," 100 of the bankers and media moguls, publishers and image makers who shape the lives of billions. It's an exclusive, insular club, one whose influence stretches around the globe but is concentrated strategically in the highest corridors of power.

More than half its members, at least by one count, are Jewish.

It's a list, in other words, that would have made earlier generations of Jews jump out of their skins, calling attention, as it does, to their disproportionate influence in finance and the media. Making matters worse, in the eyes of many, would no doubt be the identity of the group behind the list - not a pack of fringe anti-Semites but one of the most mainstream, glamorous publications on the newsstands.

Yet the list doesn't appear to have generated concern so far, instead drawing expressions of satisfaction and pride from the lone Jewish commentator who's responded in writing.

Published between ads for Chanel and Prada, Dior and Yves Saint Laurent, it's the 2007 version of "The Vanity Fair 100," the glossy American magazine's annual October ranking of the planet's most important people. Populated by a Cohen and a Rothschild, a Bloomberg and a Perelman, the list would seem to conform to all the traditional stereotypes about areas of Jewish overrepresentation.

Joseph Aaron, the editor of The Chicago Jewish News, thinks it's a list his readers should "feel very, very good about."

"Talk about us being accepted into this society, talk about us having power in this society," Aaron wrote this week, in apparent reference to Jewish life in the United States. "Talk about anti-Semitism being a thing of the past, talk about Jews no longer needing to be afraid to be visible and influential."

Printed over 15 pages before an interview with Nicole Kidman, the rankings - described on the magazine's cover as the membership of "The New Establishment" - are less than scientific, accompanied by a paragraph-long introduction that neither defines power nor describes the methodology behind the list.

Topping the rankings for the second year in a row is gentile media mogul Rupert Murdoch, who's followed in second place by Steve Jobs, the non-Jewish co-founder of Apple and Pixar.

Highest among the Jewish entries are Google co-founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page, co-listed at #3, down one from 2006. The article reported that the 34-year-old Brin and his wife "wore swimsuits as they stood under the huppa." (Page, whose mother is Jewish, was described in the spring 2006 edition of B'nai B'rith Magazine as "raised more in the mold of his father... whose religion was technology.")

With Americans making up the vast majority of the list, the Vanity Fair 100 is also notable for some absences. Just nine of those included are women, and only two - TV host Oprah Winfrey and rapper Jay-Z - are of African ancestry.

It's the magazine's readers, however, and not Vanity Fair itself, who are keeping track of New Establishment members' gender, race and ethnicity. Though the writers often include telling details about their subjects - such as that the original last name of #89, comedian Jon Stewart, was Leibowitz - it's up to amateur demographers to track their origins.

The approach hasn't attracted much attention this year, but set off a Hollywood firestorm in 1994 when a reporter for England's Spectator used that year's New Establishment as inspiration for his own article, in which critics accused him of perpetrating harmful stereotypes about Jewish control of the movie industry. (The writer, William Cash, argued that the piece was partly meant to call attention to the contrast between the traditional, white Protestant "establishment," and the disproportionally Jewish new version.) Considerations of background don't figure in the Vanity Fair "Establishment," but neither, it seems, do traditional definitions of "power" as political.

Besides New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg at #9, up 25 places from a year ago, just two elected officials - former US president Bill Clinton and former vice president Al Gore - appear on the list. Ranked at #6 and #19, respectively, the latter two are cited for their work after leaving office, not for the power they exerted through politics.

The magazine's limited definition of power, then, constitutes areas in which Jews have long excelled, often by necessity, says Ruth Wisse, a professor of Yiddish and comparative literature at Harvard University.

In her most recent book, Jews and Power, Wisse accounts "for the achievement of Jews through the centuries," describing it, she says, "as a consequence of their having to develop their powers of adaptation to an extraordinary degree."

But while they've excelled disproportionately in areas such as business and medicine, they've often also limited themselves - or been limited to - fields not connected to the public exercise of power.

With the Vanity Fair rankings' focus on leaders outside the public sphere, they may coincidentally mirror traditional Jewish patterns of achievement - and a traditional Jewish aversion to political power.

For Aaron, the list shows how "vital" Jews have become in American life. The Vanity Fair rankings, he writes, "[tell] you so much about the place of Jews in this country, about the amazing people Jews are."

The Jerusalem Post

Last Online
    Monday, December 7th, 2009 @ 03:16 AM
    Ethnicity
    Lombardic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Well, something I've noticed since a long time ago is that most American media is dominated by Jews. If you look at film producers you'll see a lot of them with Jewish surnames, as well as some magazines, specially those like Vanity Fair or papparazzi magazines.

And not just entertaining media but also, for example, many psychologists or sexologist that give TV interviews are Jewish or half Jewish.
    "Cuando la Patria está en peligro, todo está permitido excepto no defenderla"
    José de San Martín

Last Online
    Monday, March 8th, 2010 @ 02:45 PM
    Ethnicity
    Indo-European
    Ancestry
    Indo-European
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Missouri Missouri
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Teacher
    Politics
    INdependent
    Religion
    None
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

phenomenal accomplishment!!

At least 173 Jews and persons of half-Jewish ancestry have been awarded the Nobel Prize, accounting for 23% of all individual recipients worldwide between 1901 and 2006, and constituting 37% of all US recipients during the same period. In the scientific research fields of Chemistry, Economics, Medicine, and Physics, the corresponding world and US percentages are 27% and 39%, respectively. (Jews currently make up approximately 0.25% of the world's population and 2% of the US population.)

* Chemistry (29 prize winners, 19% of world total, 28% of US total)
    * Economics (22 prize winners, 38% of world total, 51% of US total)
    * Literature (13 prize winners, 13% of world total, 27% of US total)
    * Peace (9 prize winners, 10% of world total, 11% of US total)3
    * Physics (47 prize winners, 26% of world total, 38% of US total)
    * Physiology or Medicine (53 prize winners, 28% of world total, 42% of US total)

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2021 @ 07:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    Feel the power

By Joseph Aaron

| I just can't help it.

This kind of thing gives me a big thrill. And a big chill.

It's not that often that you find the entire state of Jewish life today encapsulated in one place. So when you do, it's worth taking note of and learning from.

The place of which I speak is the October issue of Vanity Fair magazine. Vanity Fair is one of the most fascinating magazines around, one that every issue features an amazingly eclectic collection of articles, from the very serious to the completely frivolous.

Indeed, while the October issue features such stories as "How $9 billion in cash vanished in Iraq;" "Inside Bush's bunker;" "How the Media Gored Al Gore in 2000;" and more, the cover features Nicole Kidman wearing a sailor cap and opening her shirt to reveal her nautical necklace and her brassiere.

Vanity Fair is nothing if not on the cutting edge of where society is and is going. Vanity Fair is definitely not a Jewish publication.

And yet, in this one issue, it tells us more about the Jewish world as it is today than any lecture or book or class out there.

It does that in two ways.

The first is its annual list of what it calls The New Establishment, the 100 most powerful, most influential people in American society.

What is absolutely amazing, stunning about the list is how many Jews there are on it. Jews make up about 2.5 percent of the U.S. population so there should be two or three Jews on the list.

Guess again, bubeleh.

The list of the Vanity Fair 100 includes, get ready, 51, yes 51 Jews.

Minimum.

I say 51 because that's how many I'm sure are Jewish. There may be others on the list who are Jewish but who I don't know are Jewish and whose names are not obviously Jewish.

But let's say I got them all. That means that more than half the names on the list of the 100 people who are the most vital to this society are Jewish. And this is a list that includes Apple's Steve Jobs and Oprah and Bill Clinton and Warren Buffett, to name a few of the few non-Jews on the list.

That is absolutely nothing short of astounding.

Talk about us being accepted into this society, talk about us having power in this society, talk about anti-Semitism being a thing of the past, talk about Jews no longer needing to be afraid to be visible and influential.

And it doesn't stop there.

The magazine also has a separate list of what it calls The Next Establishment, younger people it believes destined to make the big list some year soon.

Of the 26 names on that list, 15 are Jews. That I'm sure of. 15 of 26. More than half.

And it doesn't stop there.

The magazine also has a separate list of what it calls The Pit-Stop Club, those who have made The New Establishment list in the past but who didn't make it this year but are fairly certain to make a comeback in a future year.

Of the nine names on this list, eight are Jews. Eight out of nine. Don Imus is the only non-Jew on the list.

I mean, it's just unbelievable.

This is a big country with lots and lots of very talented, highly educated, tremendously motivated people. And no one has its finger on the pulse of the people who make this country what it is more than Vanity Fair.

And when it came time to pick the 100 who most move and shake things in America, more than half-more than half-are Jews. And on the list of those who will one day be on that list, more than half-more than half-are Jews. Not to mention that almost 100 percent of those who were on the list and are poised to make a comeback are Jews.

Tells you so much about the place of Jews in this country, about the amazing people Jews are.

That's something we should never take for granted, something we should always be blown away by, feel very, very good about.

Instead, however, the Jewish world is so much about kvetching and worrying.

When will we learn to fight fights that matter. When will we learn not everything needs to be made a big deal of. Not everything we don't like is a threat, indeed some of the things we don't like only become a nuisance because we make a big deal out of it.

We are powerful, very powerful. We play a major, pivotal role in the life of this country. And yet we are always acting like scared little mice on the verge of annihilation.

And if you think how we are doesn't have consequences, please look at something else in this Vanity Fair issue, something that also tells us much about Jewish life today.

There is an article in the magazine called "Talk of the Town." It tells the story of the intense rivalry between two of the most powerful men on Wall Street, Henry Kravis and Stephen Schwarzman.

Both, as you may have guessed, are Jews. Both are at the very top of the private equity world, which is where the financial action is these days. Both control tens of billions of dollars worth of assets.

The first thing that struck me about the story is what jerks both are, each trying to top the other, destroy the other, outdo the other. Not to mention the abominable way that each treats their employees. Each acts in ways that are not very much in keeping with the teachings and values of Judaism.

That's sad, but that's not what got to me. What got to me is how much these two do, how much these two give, to all kinds of good causes-libraries and museums and hospitals and universities and on and on, all mentioned by name in the article. You read and see how much energy each puts into his charitable work, how much money each donates to charitable causes. Doing so, it is very clear, for the social status and clout it brings.

What is also clear is that it seems neither is involved in or gives to Jewish causes, at least not in any significant way.

That too tells you a lot about Jewish life today.

For they are not alone. The fact is that, as survey after survey has shown, most very wealthy Jews in this country do not give to Jewish causes. Certainly not the tens of million dollars they so eagerly give to a university or a museum.

The question is why they feel so little allegiance to their own community, their own people, why they so much look elsewhere to devote their resources and their energies.

I think it's because we have made Judaism such an unpleasant place.

Judaism has so many powerful people among us, as the Vanity Fair 100 list shows. We are such a part of this society, have such impact on this society and yet we're always unhappy, always feel victimized, always kvetch about this and that. It's always another Holocaust around the corner, there's always the next Hitler on the scene, Israel is always embattled, we're always worried, always scared, always sure the end is near.

Well, who the hell wants to join that little party?

Because we so squander all the good that has come our way, too many of us are simply opting to go their own way, to be part of things that don't involve guilt and neuroticism.

More than half those on the Vanity Fair 100 are Jews. And yet we don't feel powerful, indeed, the very fact of the list makes us even more nervous than we were before. Instead of being pleased and taking pride, we fret that it's not so good to be so visible, bad that the gentiles see how much influence we have. And so we take even an occasion for joys and make it one for oys.

Is it any wonder then that if we always make out that Jewish life, despite all evidence to the contrary, is a scary and dreary place, that those who have made it, want nothing to do with it?

Jewish World Review

eyes:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 01:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Britain, Ulster, Germany, America
    Subrace
    Dalofaelid+Baltid/Borreby
    Y-DNA
    R-Z19
    mtDNA
    U5a2c
    Country
    State
    Indiana Indiana
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Anti-Obama
    Religion
    Conservative Protestantism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    And some people don't understand why persons like myself bitch about Jewish influence in America.eyes:
    'Let's Go Brandon!'

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    This is the result of having a culture which does not tolerate illiteracy.

If, over the years, other cultures had allowed those of their kin who were unable to read and debate to fall out and become the 'erev rav' then their remaining populations would be achieving to a similar degree. In our gentile populations there is the blood of Jews who fell away because they were not able to follow the Jewish religion.

My father's connections to the Jewish mayor in the city we once lived in led to my attending a small Jewish prep school. We learnt proper history. To my memory, only one lesson was devoted to WWII and the holocaust. The bulk of our learning was reading, writing and arithmetic. We all worked to our own individual pace.

Children were not often told off for misbehaving, but for being stupid or lazy. I was slapped round the head by the headmistress for only achieving a pass grade for 'Grade One Piano', which was seen as a disgrace.

I cannot claim academic success in recent years, but when I went on from that school, I was consistently two years ahead of my contemporaries and I had to be moved up two years into the class above me.

Each morning, the Jewish students at the school spent two hours immersed in Hebrew classes. One of my contemporaries went on to become the news editor at ITN.

There is no reason why Germanics should not create a similar culture of excellence (in fact we already have one, except, unlike most Jews, we are wastefully classist with it) and I do wonder if we should make our day of rest Friday, so as to be ahead of the Muslim, Jewish and Christian worlds.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts
    Friday is the muslim day.

You are right though, part of the reason jews achieve so much is because of ethnocentrism, part of it is because of better upbringing in their youth in a certain element of their culture. Also, they have worked hard to prevent Germanics from having this type of education you described, dumbing down our education to the lowest level, to the point that it is barely above playtime for the younger ages, and 'party time' for the older ages.

Here is a good article describing the role religion plays in selection for intelligence by jews:

http://theoccidentalquarterly.com/ar...2Faussette.pdf
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Sunday, December 28th, 2008 @ 07:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    British
    Subrace
    sub-nordic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    National Anarchist
    Religion
    Hatha Yoga
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    Friday is the muslim day.
    OOPS! It will have to be Thors-day then!

I will be taking Thursday as my day off from now on.

I do not think that 'Jews' have dumbed the education system down, I think that social Marxists have. The Jews who ran my school were slightly to the right of Genghis Khan, and any pupil at that school was encouraged to do their best. I did not get let off the hook for being a gentile, nor did the other non-Jews at the school. What you are saying is dangerous because it does not give us an adequate argument against leftists and also promotes hostilty and discord where there could be concordance and respect.

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortis_in_Arduis View Post
    I do not think that 'Jews' have dumbed the education system down, I think that social Marxists have.
    Of course they're not going to dumb down their own educational system, but that of ethnic groups they view as a potential threat to themselves
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast