View Poll Results: Are you in favour of capital punishment?

Voters
237. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes and it should be used often

101 42.62%
  • Yes, but it should be sparingly

83 35.02%
  • No it is immoral

14 5.91%
  • No because miscarriages of justice are inevitable

29 12.24%
  • Other (please elaborate)

10 4.22%
Page 5 of 57 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Thread: Are You in Favour of the Death Penalty/Capital Punishment?

Last Online
    Thursday, November 8th, 2018 @ 05:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Irish Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sigrun, I had written you a huge post about Brady and Hindley and when I hit post, I was logged out *scream*
    I hate it when that happens
    So, you'll have to make do with it the usual not as exciting Crime library version, if you have any questions though, there's little that can be known about this case that I don't know, also such stories are rarely updated and Brady is now facing a mental health hearing to decide whether he is sane or not, he wishes to be transferred to an ordinary jail so he can starve himself to death (He has been force fed for years now) and hindley is of course, dead since last November.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/serial_k..._1.html?sect=5

Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 07:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scathach
    Sigrun, I had written you a huge post about Brady and Hindley and when I hit post, I was logged out *scream*
    I hate it when that happens

That's why you should always highlight what you wrote and click on copy before you hit post. That's especially important when your posts are long.

Last Online
    Thursday, November 8th, 2018 @ 05:17 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Other Other
    student
    Politics
    Irish Nationalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes sir!

No, you're right, I'll begin doing that, it's happens rather often.

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, April 3rd, 2006 @ 10:17 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moody Lawless
    It's interesting how in the majority of cases, execution is certain to make the average criminal to be instantly forgotten.

In Britain, Myra Hindly would have been forgotten by now if she had been executed; but she was kept alive in jail for the rest of her natural life, and therefore her case constantly entered the media, much to the pain of the relatives of her victims.
    She became a running sore - a torturess in her crimes, who by continuing to live, re-tortured those touched by her deadly deeds.

No,
    Execution brings Closure.
    This is a popular argument in death penalty cases and appeals to the emotions very well, but it doesn't hold with me because I do not take into account the feelings of the victims when thinking about these cases. Well, I should not nor should anyone else, imo, although that is much easier said than done. Indictments are filed as "The People vs ..." or "The State of California vs... " rather than "[insert victim's name or victim's family's name here] vs.. " for a good reason, that being that murder is a crime against the whole of the people of the jursidiction and not just the victim(s) of that particular crime.

Sometimes, execution brings closure to the family of the victim, but not always. Some families campaign against the convicted's execution. Some families believe that execution will bring them the closure they seek, but then find out that it does not. Feelings change over time and vary from person to person - that's why they should not be taken into account. That's part of the reason that motive is not an element of a crime - technically. Whether or not the victim's family feels continually tortured by the fact that the convicted continues to live is not, or should not, be relevant in deciding the convicted's punishment. We don't prosecute and punish on behalf of the victim and/or his family, but on behalf of "the people"...

I'm not feeling very well today (severe headache) so I don't know if I made my sentiments clear or not, I hope I did. I'm also wondering if the law has changed since my last in-depth study of this... I think I would have noticed if it did. My dream has always been to attend law school...

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I do not particularly believe in the death penaly and in fact some months back I was on a death penalty case that I made clear I did not wish to be on. Fortunately I was not selected as a juror. But, has anyone else ever thought in a sense it is crueler to put someone in a cage for the rest of their life than simply executing them? It's not enough to make me pro-death penalty but I am almost surprised some of the death penalty advocates have not brought that argument up. Perhaps they have.
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

From NPR's Present at the Creation

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/graduate/

http://www.norcalmovies.com/TheGraduate/tg11.jpg

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Someone did bring up that point, yes.

What constitutes cruel and inhumane is also largely a matter of opinion. I do consider that locking someone in a small cell for the rest of his life to be inhumane, and I do not consider death when brought about by lethal injection or some other quick and painless method to be inhumane.

I think/feel I'd rather be put to death than be in prison for the rest of my life, but others would prefer to live no matter the condition, so again, "feelings" generally shouldn't be given much weight in these types of decisions.

What I, he, she, they, you "feel" just isn't relevant, imo...

Last Online
    Thursday, January 18th, 2007 @ 07:36 PM
    Subrace
    Other
    Politics
    Living in the real world
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think we should bring back good ol' beheading. :behead j/k

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scandi
    Subrace
    Other
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single adult
    Occupation
    work
    Politics
    independent
    Religion
    seeking
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocreator
    I think we should bring back good ol' beheading. :behead j/k
    Speaking of beheading and this maybe something of legend, but, supposedly the French during the Reign of Terror would immediately after the beheading take a look and see if the person's now severed head was attempting any last words. Macabre if true.
    Last edited by Gladstone; Wednesday, November 5th, 2003 at 12:28 AM.
    Turman found a copy of The Graduate, and thought highly enough of the story that he made a movie he considered to be 90-percent faithful to the book.

But Turman and director Mike Nichols made one key adaptation, changing the Braddocks from WASP-y blonde characters into a dark-haired, more ethnic-looking family.

From NPR's Present at the Creation

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/patc/graduate/

http://www.norcalmovies.com/TheGraduate/tg11.jpg

Last Online
    Tuesday, July 10th, 2012 @ 10:18 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Albion
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Investigator of Souls
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic Nationalist
    Religion
    Runosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Sigrun Christianson; " [Murder] indictments are filed as 'The People vs ...' or 'The State of California vs... ' rather than '[insert victim's name or victim's family's name here] vs.. ' for a good reason, that being that murder is a crime against the whole of the people of the jursidiction and not just the victim(s) of that particular crime ... We don't prosecute and punish on behalf of the victim and/or his family, but on behalf of 'the people' ".

Moody Lawless replies; When that is the case [not so in private prosecutions of course], then the Closure is demanded by the people.

In a homogeneous society, a crime against one is a crime against all.

Myra Hindly and Ian Brady, for example, were child killers whose crimes offended the whole of their society, not just the families of their victims; but that society was not able to gain Closure on those crimes because, as I said, the killers were/are kept alive in prison for their natural lives.
    The case and its horrors continually erupted in the media, and so Closure was not gained.

So the Executioner gives his society the great gift of Closure - only then can we wounded souls go on.
    Why are there beings at all, & why not rather nothing?
    [Leibniz/Heidegger]

None
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Subrace
    Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Lawless,

You seem to have completey ignored the first part of the paragraph:

Sometimes, execution brings closure to the family of the victim, but not always. Some families campaign against the convicted's execution. Some families believe that execution will bring them the closure they seek, but then find out that it does not. Feelings change over time and vary from person to person - that's why they should not be taken into account.

The healing process starts at different times for different people. Closure means different things to different people. Your generalisations and platitudes don't translate into law. Feelings should not translate into law.