View Poll Results: Should drugs be legalized?

Voters
154. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, all drugs should be legalized.

44 28.57%
  • Yes, some drugs should be legalized, others not. (Which?)

60 38.96%
  • No, drugs should keep their illegal status.

50 32.47%
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Drugs Be Legalized?

Last Online
    Saturday, April 4th, 2009 @ 02:47 AM
    Ethnicity
    Celto-Germanic
    Subrace
    Nordid/Atlantid.
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Massachusetts Massachusetts
    Family
    Single, looking
    Occupation
    Looking
    Politics
    Constitutionalist
    Religion
    Hindu - Shakta
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I believe people have the right to ingest any substance they want, if it should have an averse effect i.e. addiction, I think people are asking for it when they don't practice moderation. I don't believe alcoholism is a disease. This topic is highly subjective...

For example, coffee is perhaps responsible for the success of the United States, we are a coffee republic, caffeine has fueled people to stay awake, generate ideas, and to work longer. Consider, caffeine is one of those drugs which no one takes into account as a drug. Caffeine causes mood elevation, because with an increase in intellectual thought comes a biological reward of mood elevation, however it is possible to develop a tolerance. Over consumption of caffeine can lead to tremors, esophageal erosion and delirium... I'd be willing to bet the high incidence of Gastrointestinal reflux disease (which I have) is largely derived from many years of drinking caffeine... This is also exacerbated from drinking alcohol.

Drugs are essentially spirits, e.g. alcohol, al-kahul arabic. lit. "the spirit"... The spirits can be communed with, but they must be respected.

Senior Administrator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Married
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'm pro legalization for various reasons, some of which have already been mentioned.

First, I don't believe in the myth that all illegal drugs are necessarily bad, evil and the like. Some of the illegal drugs are less dangerous than alcohol, for example, yet alcohol is legal. Second, not all drug users are abusers. Surely there are junkies, but this drug user = junkie image is an exaggerated media thing. There are people who use drugs occasionally and live perfectly normal lives. However, there are people who use drugs regularly too, and live perfectly normal lives. Many are addicted to a legal drug - tobacco - and their lives are perfectly normal. Sure their health might not be in the best condition, but that is their business and their choice. The difference between tobacco and illegal drugs is not that tobacco is better or less "evil", but that tobacco is legal. Because they are illegal, drugs are very expensive and one can never be sure a. what one is getting and b. what the amount of it is. E.g. a lab analysis has revealed that not every ecstasy pill contains MDMA. If drugs were legal, one would at least be sure what one is getting is what one expects to get. One would be getting them from pharmacies so there would be a purity assurance and a label to avoid overdose.

Drug dealers want drugs to stay illegal. They can put who knows what substance in them to cause addiction because to them, an addict = money. They can put whatever price they want on their drugs, because they are illegal and no one can control them. Drug users don't have (m)any cheap alternatives. Drug dealers make a fortune and it's not uncommon for many crimes to be financed by the drug business. By making drugs legal, one cuts their primary economic resource.

Anyway, whether we like it or not, drug (ab)use existed in the past, exists now and will continue to exist in future. One cannot eradicate it. One could instead work to handle it, diminish it or ideally prevent it. But this war on drugs doesn't really seem to do a good job at that.

A possible solution I'd see is as follows:
    1. Legalise all drugs
    2. Allow people to make/grow their own if they want.
    3. Classify drugs between those requiring medical/pharmaceutical prescription and lighter drugs that can be sold more openly (such as marijuana and alcohol)
    4. Only allow persons of 18 years and older or another legally determined age to legally purchase drugs. Harder drugs would be sold by Pharmacies/Chemists, and only after a consultation to ensure users are aware of risks and to determine safe dosages. Marijuana could be sold from liquor stores/offlicences as alcohol is now
    5. Enforce quality standards on all drugs
    6. Treat Addiction as an illness, and provide medical services to help addicts beat their problem.
    7. Tax drugs and use the income to fund drug use training in schools, quality enforcement, addiction assistance/medical help for addicts, and medical/pharmaceutical training
    8. Make it illegal for anyone to supply drugs to minors, with harsh penalties (say 1 years mandatory community service followed by 10 years in prison)
    9. Impose harsh penalties (large fines, community service and imprisonment) on anyone who causes harm to anyone else whilst under the influence of drugs. No distinction is made between alcohol and other drugs. Driving whilst under the influence of drugs and alcohol should be treated as a major offence, whether someone is injured or not. It is effectively attempted manslaughter, at the very minimum. Big fines along with compulsory re-education and community service (a substantial amount of it-like 2 years) should be followed by a mandatory minimum jail term for any subsequent offence.
    10. Make the giving of drugs to another person without their consent a serious criminal assault, punishable by a combination of prison and mandatory community service.
    Source

Last Online
    Sunday, February 8th, 2009 @ 03:08 AM
    Ethnicity
    Lithuanian/Polish
    Subrace
    East Baltid
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Legalize or at least decriminalize them. There will always be self destructive idiots who will get addicted to whatever. It would lower the crime involved with the drug trade. Then the police can spend their time going after real criminals and not putting people possessing a few joints in jail at the cost of $43,200 per year as is the cost in California. BTW, the cost for 1 year of a Harvard education is $43,200.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 31st, 2009 @ 03:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Scottish/Norwegian-German
    Subrace
    KN + Bruenn
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Libertarian/An-Cap
    Religion
    Anthroposophical Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    For too many reasons to (re)numerate I feel all drugs should be legalized. To attempt to regulate them is not only a monetary waste, but effectively punishes a non-crime. If you steal to support your habit, or neglect your kids because of it, then there are justifiable statutes for that. Drug prohibition only exacerbates the problem.

Last Online
    Thursday, July 28th, 2011 @ 08:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Anglo-Saxon & Swedish
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuchulain View Post
    If legalisation did cause more people to use drugs, the majority of them would be smoking pot, not shooting up or smoking crack. This might actually even cause less people to drink, which is in my opinion more destructive than marijuana. People don't get high and beat their wife and kids, or go out and have casual sex with some filthy std infested hooker. They do when they are drunk.
    Here we have a problem drug called "P" (for pure methamphetamine). The people taking this commit terrible crimes when they're high. One man robbed a local RSA, but was so high on this drug it just turned into an orgy of violence and he ended up killing 3 people and maiming a 4th. Another man chopped the hands off two women with a samurai sword, then shot a stranger in a carpark, and then took another person hostage. It's absolutely insane what people do when they're taking this drug.

Last Online
    Monday, March 8th, 2010 @ 10:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    celtic
    Country
    England England
    radical democracy
    Religion
    atheism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I am very much in the camp of the pro legalise but think a better way to say it is to decriminalise all drugs

Society , for which this is a huge issue , needs to bring it out of the underworld and take some control over the situation instead of carrying on down the insane path of prohibition.

State control of all drugs available for registered users. The inclusion of registering being an attempt to assertain whether there are minors being cared for by hard drug abusers. For obvious reasons.

The potential benefits , I feel ,far outweigh the discomfort people may feel for an acceptance of such policies.
    We accept we can't stop it , but we can have a huge impact on how drug use affects our societies if we bring it out into the open

I think a new approach is needed and long overdue

There is also the important issue of personal freedom of choice to which I also have a fondness

Quote Originally Posted by Matamoros View Post
    Here we have a problem drug called "P" (for pure methamphetamine). The people taking this commit terrible crimes when they're high. One man robbed a local RSA, but was so high on this drug it just turned into an orgy of violence and he ended up killing 3 people and maiming a 4th. Another man chopped the hands off two women with a samurai sword, then shot a stranger in a carpark, and then took another person hostage. It's absolutely insane what people do when they're taking this drug.
    I understand your horror but nothing can stop these incidents from occuring regardless of whether the policy is prohibition or openess.

At least an open approach may have reduced the likelyhood of him having to steal to fund his habit. Who knows?

Senior Member SwordOfTheVistula's Avatar
    Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 01:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    Making them legal makes them seem "safe" to the general population. "Oh, the government legalised them, they must be safe"
    That's the kind of mindset we need to get rid of. The government is to prevent people from endangering others, not to prevent people from endangering themselves
    Contact Congress on immigration
    Contact Congress to reject banker bailout
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Ben Franklin

Last Online
    Thursday, July 2nd, 2009 @ 12:03 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    with catoid
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Family
    Not in the mood
    Occupation
    I've got projects ;P
    Politics
    ineffable
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    That's the kind of mindset we need to get rid of. The government is to prevent people from endangering others, not to prevent people from endangering themselves
    Drug addicts endanger others.

edit: Plus, the healthcare in Canada is covered by the government. So guess who has to pay for their addiction in the end?
    People turn to poison as quick as lager turns to piss

Last Online
    Thursday, September 23rd, 2010 @ 12:38 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hiberno-Norman
    Subrace
    UP/Atlanto Med
    Country
    State
    Illinois Illinois
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    B-School, Demolition
    Politics
    I do what I can
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freydis View Post
    Drug addicts endanger others.

edit: Plus, the healthcare in Canada is covered by the government. So guess who has to pay for their addiction in the end?
    Drug addicts will be there endangering others unless you turn society into a police state the likes of which has never been seen before, they are an unfortunate truth we must learn to deal with in the best way possible.

Who do you think is paying the inflated costs of law enforcement and justice administration in Canada? Like I said before, if it were legal it could be taxed and the revenue raised from addicts and businesses, instead of non-users paychecks.

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 10:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Galloglaich View Post
    For too many reasons to (re)numerate I feel all drugs should be legalized. To attempt to regulate them is not only a monetary waste, but effectively punishes a non-crime. If you steal to support your habit, or neglect your kids because of it, then there are justifiable statutes for that. Drug prohibition only exacerbates the problem.
    .......hmmm....i'm still unsure, but there is a sure thing : the prohibition doesn't resolve the problem.

Perhaps we should reflect deeper on the resons of phenomenon , and localize the real "source of evil" (socially speaking). A drug addict is substantially a waek people. A person who can't live without some sort of external help. Now, even if Drug doesn't exist, THAT weak people will find something other (substitutive of drug), like Alcohol or smoke etc. etc.

Of course society and Government, can't forbid alchol and cigarettes only cause few peoples who could abuse of them. Government can't forbid the use of a knife in the kitchen since the knife is potentially dangerous for a child.

I mean, Government can't substitute personal responsability. Although, the drug question is very complicate and dangerous....

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast