Religion
    Agnosticism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts

The Gepids

The Gepids

Of all the main Germanic peoples of the Völkerwanderung Era, the Gepids remain the most elusive to history. Unlike many of their contemporaries, they never succeeded in creating their own state.

The Gepids first appeared in the Roman World when they accompanied the Goths in an invasion of Dacia in the 260's AD but even after the province was abandoned by Rome, a decade later, they did not take possession of it; The very name Gepid is probably from 'Gepanta' meaning 'sluggish' or 'slow', and they had a reputation amongst the Goths of being lazy.

They settled, instead, east of the River Tisza where they were subjugated first by the Ostrogoths, then, along with them, by the Huns (in AD 375). The Gepids provided Attila with the largest of all his 'allied' contingents and their king, Ardaric, was the most favoured of all the great Hun's vassals. They proved staunch allies and formed the right wing of the Hunnic army at the Battle of Châlons (or the 'Catalaunian Fields') in 451.

But after Attila's death, it was the Gepids, still led by Ardaric, who led the alliance of rebel Germans and Sarmatians, which overthrew Hunnic domination at the Battle of the Nedao in 454. It was this victory which provided the Gepids with a homeland in the eastern Carpathians as allies of Rome. Their old enmity with the Ostrogoths continued, however, and Theodoric drove them out in 504. Only in 537, with the Goths distracted by the wars against Justinian, did they settle around Sirmium in the Danube Valley.

In 546, the Romans employed their Lombard allies, under Audoin, to drive the Gepids out of this strategically important region and at the Battle of Asfeld in 552, the Gepids were crushed. What was left of Gepid power and autonomy was wiped out in 567 by the Avars, who had succeeded the Huns as the latest menace to Europe from the Asiatic steppes.

http://www.fernweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mf/gepids.htm

Last Online
    Thursday, December 24th, 2009 @ 01:43 AM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Divorced, not looking
    Religion
    none
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gepids: Polus Tumulus Near Cluj-Napoca

Recently(2006) a royal tomb (assigned to Gepids: Polus tumulus near Cluj-Napoca)was unveiled; the "celtic cross" was found on the royal seal and on vessels. Please observe that kings' monograms are not necessarily symbols for the peasants(the people) but deserve a mystic or genealogic role. Please review my previous post on "historical Odin" for the Draco/Balaur issue.
    Moreover, in the Polus site, antlers were found along with the stag's head. The antlers are not conserved in museum but left on the site, so anybody can see them.

The connection with Cernunos was not made yet, but I make it now:

THIS IS THE FIRST ARCHEOLOGICAL EVIDENCE OF ANTLERS USED FOR BURIAL/FUNERAL OF KINGS
    The necessary connection to the Gundestrup cauldron (also thougt by some of Wallachian origin) may be made along with the representation of the afterworld on old (XIVth century) churches:
    1. Draco/devil/Baal is Nidhog, the worm of the underworld.
    2. Balaur/Cernunos is feeding Bal/Draco with bodies and therefore Balaur/Cernunos may not be eaten by Bal/Draco.

Therefore, the antlers were thought to mask the deceased into the Balaur/Cernunos in the afterworld.
    In the museum of Cluj I got the following burrial ring with the sun/moon/Ishtar, like inn the Sumerian room at Louvre:

Elaborating further on the "wheels" on the Gundestrup cauldron, these are the two suns of the Apotheosis. Picture from the Louvre on the apotheosis(note the horns of the hero):

(I have no picture of my own on the Gundestrup cauldron.)

Religion, as learned from various finds, may NOT be assigned to a nation (e.g. celts) but to the gentry-which had not a mother tongue but a genealogy and a trans national cult of the afterworld.

May I elaborate on the etymology of Wallachia, a duchy mentioned in Niebelungen Lied along with a Romanian leader ("Rumunc der Vlachen Hertzog mit acht hunndert Mannen") which is usually associated with Romania. My opinion is that this duchy which denotes a diminutive of valley (Val(e)>>Valeaca>>Valaca) was altered by later German/Hungarian transcriptions and also by common confusion between V/F consonants into Feleacu (phonetic F for V), i.e. the hill near Cluj-Napoca. Later this duchy appears as Doboka-Szolnok in Hungarian and remained a county until 1918.

The archeological traces we have, refer to the gentry not to the peasants and therefore we have no "great migration" but eventually wars and mostly change of dynasties.

Therefore I got the religious connection between Celtic/Nordic(Odin's Valaskijalf==Wallachia) realm and the Gepid capital at Cluj. It appears that this is where historical Woden's successors came as Gepids. Thus the story told by Jordanes on the Gepid's origin appears true.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 02:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-M405
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Property management
    Politics
    Germanic Preservation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Gepids Mentioned in Scientific Study

History of the people of the Hungarian plain in the 1st millennium
    Hum Biol. 2008 Dec;80(6):655-67

Hum Biol. 2008 Dec;80(6):655-67

History of the peoples of the Great Hungarian Plain in the first millennium: a craniometric point of view

Holló G, Szathmáry L, Marcsik A, Barta Z.

We carried out an examination relying on six dimensions of 1,573 crania coming from the Great Hungarian Plain. The crania represent seven archeological periods: Sarmatian age (1-4th century), the period of transition (about 400-420), Hun and Gepidic epochs (about 420-455 and 455-567, respectively), early Avar age (about 568-670), late Avar period (about 670-895), the epoch of the Hungarian conquest and settlement (about 895-1000), and the Arpadian age (about 1000-1301). We were curious about the anatomical background behind cultural changes of the various populations that inhabited this area. After having noticed some discontinuities between the populations, as revealed by univariate analysis of single dimensions, we performed a principal-components analysis to see whether or not the diverse components showed eventual breaks in the sequence of the populations. Knowing that all the dominant populations had Asian roots, except for the Gepids of Germanic origin, we expected a considerable difference between the Gepidic population and all the other inhabitants. We also assumed that a conquest itself with a large-scale assimilation was unlikely to leave breaklike traits in anatomical patterns, except for aggressive conquests. We found that the second principal component (which correlated with cranial breadth and partly with height) showed a remarkable hiatus in both sexes between Gepids and early Avars. Having done a statistical proof (simultaneous tests for general linear hypotheses) of the observed phenomenon, we found that the gap referring to subsequent populations was significant only in males. A possible reason for this result is that the Avar conquest was much more radical than has been thought. In addition, considering that men were more likely to die in wars, women survived and were assimilated into the conquerors' populations with higher probability, so it is not surprising that the results of multicomparison tests are significant only in men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19728542
    http://dienekes.blogspot.com/

Could someone tell me what exactly this means in layman's terms? Are they saying the gepids were males that didn't bring any females with them and just bred with asian women? Feel free to correct me if I'm way off.

Schimmelreiter
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, September 4th, 2017 @ 08:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Deutsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    The Avars (in alliance with the Langobards) destroyed the Gepids, not the other way around.

The study does not consider the event to have been a mere change in management, because of the remarkable distance between Gepids and early Avars. Instead, the Germanic population and especially the males were killed in order to make room for the Avars. Since the distance on the female side is reduced later on, the Avars are assumed to have taken Germanic women, whose descendants then became Avars.

After a long rivalry with the Franks, the Avars were finally annihilated as a people by Charles the Great in the late 8th century. A Russian chronicle of the 12th century records that "to disappear like the Avars" was still a common expression at the time.

What probably happened is that they were assimilated by adjacent groups, considering the geographic distribution that should have been primarily Slavs, and then again by Magyars invading the Pannonian Plain:

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 02:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-M405
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1
    Country
    State
    California California
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Property management
    Politics
    Germanic Preservation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.

p.s. - I like how they refer to everyone but the germanics as "asian"

Anachronism "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Germany, Norway, England
    Subrace
    Nordeby
    Country
    State
    Texas Texas
    Leo
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Farther right than you.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    350 Posts
    I've always found it particularly depressing how the Lombards betrayed their Germanic brethren and allied with the Avars to help wipe out the Gepids. This continued as long as Germanics have been separated.. all the way up to and including the second world war. The English and Germans had no cause to fight each other, yet did so at the behest of the jew. Very sad, very depressing. We need to teach our people everywhere to remember these episodes and learn from them.

Senior Member Karpaten Befreier's Avatar
    Last Online
    Monday, May 14th, 2012 @ 01:26 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Transylvania Saxon
    Ancestry
    Siebenbürger Sachsen (probably some local people in there as well)
    Subrace
    Lappid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Politics
    Nationalismus
    Religion
    Gott ist mein Fuhrer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gepids

I have some roots in Romania, and where I come from, I've seen a lot of people that I could easily label as Teutonic. I doubt they were Transilvania Saxons, as the region is just south of it. I also doubt that it's viking because there are no major waterways there. Now, what else could it be othere than Gepid? I never understood why Romanians don't accept their barbarian heritage and instead prefer the fairytale that they're Daco-Romans, but again, let them strive for less if that's what they want.