Thread: The I Am Legend Archive

A review of the novel by Daniel Schneider.

http://www.hackwriters.com/iamlegend.htm

It deconstructs the vampire myth with modern methods, attempting to explain many of its legendary aspects with science- such as why non-Christian vampires would fear the cross- they don’t, why a stake kills a vampire but not a bullet- a stake allows corrupting air into the bodily glue of a vampire (although the silver bullet myth is untouched), why vampires can metamorphose into bats or wolves- they can’t, why some vampires turn to dust at death- their already long-dead bodies instantly decompose while living vampires’ bodies don’t, why mirrors repel them- psychological traumas, and a number of others.

The book is ostensibly about a post-World War Three biological plague, in the late 1970s, in the Los Angeles, California area, that looses forth a germ that causes vampirism- re-automating the dead at night, and causing the still living to go comatose in the day, and run around like lunatics at night. The only person apparently unaffected by all this is a man in his late thirties, named Robert Neville, whose wife succumbed to the plague and became a vampire he killed, and whose daughter ended up being burned in a ceaseless fire pit for infected corpses. The book follows him from several months after his status as lone survivor is established to a few years later. He discovers the above facts about the disease that explain many of the legendary vampire characteristics. He autodidactically attempts to find reasons. After despair, boredom, and the ceaseless monotony of his daily hunts for the living and dead vampires, and the nightly attacks on his house-cum-fortress by them, it is just the age old quest for knowledge that impels him onward.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    The movie ended a bit too optomisticly. Almost naively so.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 08:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DriftWood View Post
    The movie ended a bit too optomisticly. Almost naively so.

I agree.

[Warning: Possible spoiler], If you are looking forward to viewing "I am Legend" (2007), a film you will probably enjoy (assuming that you are not too negatively affected by the sight of Wil Smith trying to chat up European looking shop window dummies), then don't read the last paragraph of this post.Thank you.

Even with a vaccine found, In a world completely overrun by hundreds of millions of diseased, psychotic Vampires and with only a few small groups of relatively lightly armed humans surviving unaffected,the future of Humanity still looks far from guaranteed... For one thing now that the vacine has been found how is it going to be administered to the Vampires? Presumably one can't just drive into the middle of a major city, set up a stall and wait for sunset?

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 29th, 2020 @ 01:59 AM
    Status
    On Holiday
    Ethnicity
    ---
    Ancestry
    Scottish, Alsatian
    Country
    State
    Florida Florida
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think the end of the 2007 movie completely changed the message of the book. The book ends in utter hopelessness, he just gives up, yet in the movie there is cliche, obligatory self-sacrifice to save a woman and her child that he barely knows and a miracle cure. The lack of the "pseudo-vampires," or whatever they were, in the movie removes a crucial, almost existential (I said a bad word!!) element from the plot: the role reversal of the monster and the victim.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 06:07 AM
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Journalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Istigkeit View Post
    I think the end of the 2007 movie completely changed the message of the book. The book ends in utter hopelessness, he just gives up, yet in the movie there is cliche, obligatory self-sacrifice to save a woman and her child that he barely knows and a miracle cure. The lack of the "pseudo-vampires," or whatever they were, in the movie removes a crucial, almost existential (I said a bad word!!) element from the plot: the role reversal of the monster and the victim.
    It wasn't morose enough for my likes. I like it when things end off on a sour note, makes your heart cringe but it leaves you strangely satfisied.

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Istigkeit View Post
    And the CGI was bad : why not use real actors instead of animated "monsters".

The whole point of the book was that the hero was alone, he barely even got to know the dog before it died. Then the introduction of the Ruth character, which was another "false dawn", followed by him being hounded to death.

In the book the vampires talked to the hero but that option is missing to the movie with it's dumb "Aphex Twin monsters" so Will Smith's character needs someone/thing to have chemistry with, so has a dog companion right from the start. It works in a cute way on screen, and the relationship is the best thing about the movie, but it totally misses the whole point.

The depressing thing is despite the movie being a stupid dumbed-down adaption, everyone I've talked to about the movie (and they haven't read the book) are in awe of it's supposed high concept.