Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haplogroup I1a (Y-DNA)

Modal haplotypes of I1a

Professor Ken Nordtvedt has given the following 'Modal Haplotypes' within the I1a haplogroup according to examples found in I1a populations. [1]

I1a Anglo-Saxon (I1a-AS) Has its peak gradient in the Germanic lowland countries: north Germany, Denmark, the Netherlands, as well as the British Isles & old Norman regions of France.

I1a Norse (I1a-N) Has its peak gradient in Sweden.

I1a Norse-Bothnia (I1a-N-Finn) Has its peak gradient in Finland.

I1a Ultra-Norse Type 1 (I1a-uN1) Has its peak gradient in Norway
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_I1a_(Y-DNA)

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 10:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Polity capitated per constituent
    Religion
    a priori dialectic thelema/odal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ken has made quite a few others as well, and many sub-categories of the Anglo-Saxon variant, which is found throughout Scandinavia also.

http://www.familytreedna.com/public/...xed_columns=on

Last Online
    Saturday, March 8th, 2008 @ 02:04 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "Professor Ken Nordtvedt"

Professor of what and at what school? From what I've seen on the net the guy dabbles in genetics for commercial gain and doesn't seem to have any professional qualifications, but maybe I'm wrong? Thanks in advance for any info!

[Incidentally, I seem to remember Nordtvedt bragging about his own native American ancestry and have also seen a post of his in which he claims Danes to be largely Celtic (highly unlikely to say the least). Until Nordtvedt can establish his credentials I'd be extremely critical of anything he has to say.]

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Athal View Post
    "Professor Ken Nordtvedt"

Professor of what and at what school? From what I've seen on the net the guy dabbles in genetics for commercial gain and doesn't seem to have any professional qualifications, but maybe I'm wrong? Thanks in advance for any info!

[Incidentally, I seem to remember Nordtvedt bragging about his own native American ancestry and have also seen a post of his in which he claims Danes to be largely Celtic (highly unlikely to say the least). Until Nordtvedt can establish his credentials I'd be extremely critical of anything he has to say.]
    He doesn't have any "gain" from anything he does at all, he isn't a part of any commercial testing company or any for profit service, he does all this research on his own time.

As per credentials, you can ask Nordtvedt himself, his e-mail is out there and he always seems to respond to any genetics questions. He's not at any school as he's retired, the "professorship" was in the field of physics, so he uses his skill in mathematics and applies that to whats known of mutational rates in genetic literature as a hobby, but he had a highly respectable career;

http://calspace.ucsd.edu/spacegrant/...37;7Cpg14.html

Last Online
    Saturday, March 8th, 2008 @ 02:04 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nagelfar
    He doesn't have any "gain" from anything he does at all, he isn't a part of any commercial testing company or any for profit service, he does all this research on his own time.

As per credentials, you can ask Nordtvedt himself, his e-mail is out there and he always seems to respond to any genetics questions. He's not at any school as he's retired, the "professorship" was in the field of physics, so he uses his skill in mathematics and applies that to whats known of mutational rates in genetic literature as a hobby, but he had a highly respectable career;

http://calspace.ucsd.edu/spacegrant/...37;7Cpg14.html
    I followed your link. So apparently this guy was at Montana State during the 70's and got some funding back then, but that was his one shot at the bright side of life. He didn't manage to prove his worth, so his funding was discontinued. This carried on throughout the 80's as it did for most of the remainder of his career. No one ever noticed, but who cares? Now he's back doing his very best to enlighten us about ourselves.

So who are with dealing with here? A retired physicist dabbling in genetics? An American Indian with no credentials to help us along when we can't figure things out for ourselves? I don't think so. But thanks anyway

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Athal View Post
    I followed your link. So apparently this guy was at Montana State during the 70's and got some funding back then, but that was his one shot at the bright side of life. He didn't manage to prove his worth, so his funding was discontinued. This carried on throughout the 80's as it did for most of the remainder of his career. No one ever noticed, but who cares? Now he's back doing his very best to enlighten us about ourselves.

So who are with dealing with here? A retired physicist dabbling in genetics? An American Indian with no credentials to help us along when we can't figure things out for ourselves? I don't think so. But thanks anyway
    You really didn't read the whole link did you? Did you really just read the first half and quit? How highly ignorant. Please save everyone time and do not take up positions if you aren't going to actually take on your points (For anyone else so mind numb I'll make a synopsis in this thread; He regained regular funding from NASA with what he achieved from but a small initial grant, was one of only two scientists appointed to a federal board by President Reagan & his work went on to be featured on the front page of Wall Street Journal (December 9, 1991). "No one ever noticed" indeed. He was on the board of scientific advisers for the Space Test of Equivalence Principle project.)

Where do you get this "American Indian" thing from anyway? At least I cite my sources when it comes down to it.

For a small sample of the kind of erudition he has contributed to the statistic mapping of genotypes, which he does regularly, simply check the rootsweb Y-DNA mailing list archives;

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/inde...A-HAPLOGROUP-I

Where he regularly expands on all sorts of mutational formula in a manner such as this;
    http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read...-02/1203007581

Your criticism of the man is highly flawed, grossly ad hominem & therefore based on the idea where the information is coming somehow outweighs the quality of what the information actually is? He's just piecing things together, and quite well I might add.

I'd like to see you do better, or rather, anything at all for knowledge of the distribution, variation and classification of haplotyping or the I1a haplogroup in particular. He's the best guy out there for the I1a group as a hobbyist contributing anything at all, and for a hobbyist he is way more qualified than need be.

Do you need more evidence? Because I'm sure I could spend weeks fishing around for all the things that he's done and illuminated on and written, maybe there's things he's mentioned that I've missed that I'd find enlightening.

Last Online
    Monday, August 20th, 2012 @ 04:28 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am trying to get the Wiki link to work this time.
    The group displays a very clear frequency gradient, with a peak of approximately 40 percent among the populations of western Finland and more than 50 percent in the province of Satakunta,[3] around 35 percent in southern Norway, southwestern Sweden especially on the island of Gotland, and Denmark, and rapidly decreasing frequencies toward the edges of the historically Germanic sphere of influence.[4]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_I1_%28Y-DNA%29

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Religion
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's really impossible, until bigger population samples down the road (everything now is based on just hand fulls of people), to say the highest frequency area of I1, but it looks like the island of Gotland.