View Poll Results: Do you have to speak a Germanic language to be Germanic?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

104 49.52%
  • No!

106 50.48%
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Is Speaking a Germanic Language Necessary to Be Considered Germanic?

Last Online
    Friday, December 13th, 2019 @ 01:08 PM
    Ethnicity
    Guta
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Gotlandia Gotlandia
    Single adult
    Religion
    Arian Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe Jens Lornsen View Post
    Not sure, why linguistically norse ? Norsk bookmaal or Nynorsk ?

Danes have their own language , which differs much compared to Swedish .

When reading newspapers on news.google.no it reads pretty much Danish .

You might also update your profile , since it says , you would be some Swede , and not a Dane .
    Norse, as in of the languages descended from Old Norse. And Bokmĺl is arguably just Danish with a Norwegian accent anyways

I was channeling the Goths when I made my profile. They are my main area of research alongside the Vandals.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, April 17th, 2021 @ 11:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Yes, I would say so. Speaking German as a native language is part of the identity of someone who is German. Of course there may be exceptions here and there, where the language was forbidden and the like. However, those who really desire to be part of the German nation will eventually take an interest in learning the language. Else, how will they communicate with their brethren?

As for Jamaicans, Yiddish, Ebonics speakers and the like, it's not the same thing. Those language are clearly adopted.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    British/English (father), Romanian-Saxon (mother)
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Politics
    Pan-European, Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    What do you think about people who are of a certain ethnicity in a biological sense but grow up in a different country, speaking a different language? For example, what do you think of Romanians who are ethnically Saxon, but who no longer speak the Saxon dialect, or the German language? I've heard there are such cases in Romania. Or what about those Germans from Latin America, who speak Spanish as a native language?

I would say yes, you need to speak a Germanic language if you want to count yourself truly Germanic. Germanic is just as much about culture as it is about biology. So I voted "yes", that's my opinion.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Selene For This Useful Post:

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, April 17th, 2021 @ 11:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    749 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    What do you think about people who are of a certain ethnicity in a biological sense but grow up in a different country, speaking a different language? For example, what do you think of Romanians who are ethnically Saxon, but who no longer speak the Saxon dialect, or the German language? I've heard there are such cases in Romania. Or what about those Germans from Latin America, who speak Spanish as a native language?
    They aren't German. In order to be German, you must speak the German language. Of course that's not the only perquisite, as German-speaking Turks or Italians for example aren't German either. But if you can't communicate with members of your own nation, you're simply not German. If they're pred. German ethnically however, they could still be part of the German nation provided that they shed the Romanian language & culture and embrace the German ones instead.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nachtengel For This Useful Post:

Gothicist
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish Swede
    Ancestry
    Danelaw < Roslagen
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2a5a
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Newfoundland and Labrador Newfoundland and Labrador
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Wayne
    Politics
    North Sea Empire
    Religion
    Asatru Folk Assembly
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leliana View Post
    Yes, but I think it's a bit over-the-top in English.
    Funny you should say, since it was the "upper class" of a Latin Church and French State that ran England between 1066-1272, that was based primarily in Scandinavian Normandy and later on in Gothic Aquitaine, until in 1399 when the kings became established as dukes of Lancaster and York with a much better Englishness of orientation, during the Hundred Years' War with France and the Scots. This resulted in a balance between the two influences on our language, with French mostly everywhere South of the Trent and Scots to the North of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutone View Post
    We dont speak about what a national constitution says.

We speak about genetics, there are millions of genetic Germanics living in France regardless of the language they speak, thats my point.
    The Parisian establishment is among the most culturally repressive governments of all Europe and they call it a product of "Enlightenment"...

Quote Originally Posted by Juthunge View Post
    Germanic is a meta-ethnicity, the different Germanic peoples being connected by blood, history, culture and yes, language that divides them from other Europe meta-ethnicities, as, for example, the Slavs. It's not merely about linguistics.

There are different layers of identity, for example I'm first a German, then a Germanic, then a European.
    For others, they might identify first with sub-groups of an ethnicity, such as Bavarian or Saxon, yet again others, such as many Colonials on here, identify first as Germanics because their heritage is a mixture of various Germanic peoples.

What's your layer of identity/ethnicity?
    I hesitate to over-identify with either North or South in America, but definitely find that what does resonate for me is Deira in Northumbria. I have five White Rose flags, including the Royal standard of Richard III, along with a Raven banner, not to mention all of the badges, jewelry, books, posters, films and music from there. In contrast, I've only got a handful of cultural trappings each that are indicative of the two parts of America I derive heritage from, because most of it focuses on the colonial relationship with England and not as its own country distinct from my roots. I have many Scandinavian things beyond Jórvík-specific Viking issues and perhaps only recently felt the call to venerate my maternal Anglo-Saxon roots, including general West Germanic interests. I felt compelled to focus mostly on my patrilineality because it's in the minority that can get lost in the shuffle of overall Englishness, but I can't ignore the majority of my heritage either.

Not only that, but Dad's parents passed away before Mum's, so I probably only began earnestly devoted to each set of ancestry in their absence from family life. I'm not sure what may have driven others' dedications to their backgrounds, but I would say that losing my grandparents definitely pushed me to get into it. When all my grandparents were alive, I was a lot more contemporary and perhaps even mostly just American in disposition, but that's unavoidable for simply living where I do. The more my society is bastardised by civic nationalism or internationalism, the more I dig in my heels and knuckle under in ethnic English nationalism and Germanic internationalism.

Gothicist
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish Swede
    Ancestry
    Danelaw < Roslagen
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2a5a
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Wayne
    Politics
    North Sea Empire
    Religion
    Asatru Folk Assembly
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    I have many Scandinavian things beyond Jórvík-specific Viking issues and perhaps only recently felt the call to venerate my maternal Anglo-Saxon roots, including general West Germanic interests. I felt compelled to focus mostly on my patrilineality because it's in the minority that can get lost in the shuffle of overall Englishness, but I can't ignore the majority of my heritage either.
    In absence of evidence to the contrary, I had simply assumed both my mother and wife to have Anglo-Saxon mtDNA, but burials have turned up in Sweden for their subclades in Dalarna and Gotland, respectively, to match my father's Y-DNA from Uppland. This contradicts a lot of Anglophobic stereotyping in the aim of negating our Germanic blood and/or culture, because the odds are assumed rather low that both mtDNA and Y-DNA being Swedish subclades should find themselves first not only in England dated to the Viking age, but then afterwards manifested in two generations in a row of children to one family after taking a 20th century steamship across the Atlantic. I'm lucky that both my parental lines go back to Svealand, although my kids have both paternal Svealand and maternal Götaland. Sweden's Germanic heritage is supposedly unquestionable, even though they're the highest European majority I hg Y-DNA and that's not Aryan, yet England has higher R hg Y-DNA from Aryans than most other Europeans apart from the Celtic fringe. After all the bashing by non-Germanic Anglophobes, we can take (anti-)Germanic Anglophobes too. What else is news, because fratricidal hysteria isn't?

Gisele is a good source of Germanic blood for her Anglo husband; so what if she prefers English to German? Gisele is an example of a Germanic from a 'non-Germanic' society finding a Germanic mate in a Germanic society.

Anyway, Ingvaeonic is right about the importance of folks having a collective Germanic identity despite speaking a 'non-Germanic' tongue. Every single 'Romance people' has substantial East Germanic components in its ethnogenesis; even the Vatican itself where moribund Latin is spoken only does this by necromancy and not as any mother tongue (priests don't have families as such), which means that 'Romance' is, in and of itself, (now) a falsely assumed identity. Despite the formation of the wannabe Holy Roman Empire, Frankish and Longobardish were/are Germanic tongues spoken beyond Christianisation and even past the Crusades--if not exactly surviving the Black Death in the forms generally understood as extant during the Renaissance. Franks and Longobards have Germanic heritage surviving beyond monkish conception of national history merely commencing with 'anno Domini' on a case-by-case basis, with the 'damnatio memoriae' of all Heathen existence as invalidated history beforehand.

It is taken for granted that East Germanic folks became extinct, but all they did was learn bastardised or pidgin (i.e. 'pig') Latin and convert to Catholicism in place of speaking Germanic and worshiping as Arians; the Carolingian and/or Ottonian attempts to mimic those conditions didn't work with West Germanics. The Franks in Gaul and Longobards in Italy perhaps didn't outweigh the Burgundian and Gothic natures of their realms; in Hispania and Dacia, there are no records of West Germanic identity and thus, no question about how Germanic they are, simply because East Germanics are counted purely as losses, even though it was clear that the Vandals were a Germanic folk who just happened to live in the Mediterranean. What's more true than East Germanics dying off, is that they survived by cultural camouflage, whereas the Romans didn't die off until 1453, coincidentally with the Frankish and Longobardish linguistic identity (yet France and Lombardy still exist) and in the context of the Black Death. Enthusiasm for the Renaissance and Enlightenment placed 'Gothic' identity from the Völkerwanderung on the backburner, essentially trying to Neoclassicise everything in denial of 1,500 years and all that Germanic heritage it entailed. It may have been the death knell or straw breaking a camel's back with the fall of Crimean Goths in the same time frame.

I'm reluctantly accepting the nature of 'Latin Europe' and 'Latin America' as (East) Germanic underneath the Roman façade. It's just a problem that they provided the model for self-alienation that the Holy Roman Empire of the (West) German(ic) Nation was based upon, trying so hard to become like Byzantium. England was caught between West and North Germanic ways of life, somewhat bipolar in orientation, by wanting to be an independent manifestation of the imperial society in which folks of Germany and Lorraine lived, but with the flexibility of nation-states like Denmark, Norway and Sweden...this led to formation of the United Kingdom. Even though Constantinople eventually spoke Greek, the truth is that they only did so because of Hellenophilia in Rome (same as Rome adopting Christianity from Greece), not because it was once a Greek city. Ironic that the 'Romantic' period was one with glorification of non-Roman heritage. See how labels are misappropriated.

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 05:29 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Swiss-German
    Subrace
    Pred. (Hallstatt) Nordic
    Single adult
    Politics
    to every man a woman of his race
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    No, Heinze is more Germanic than the average white American.

Gothicist
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Danish Swede
    Ancestry
    Danelaw < Roslagen
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-BY30613
    mtDNA
    K2a5a
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Zodiac Sign
    Leo
    Family
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Wayne
    Politics
    North Sea Empire
    Religion
    Asatru Folk Assembly
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    384 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gegenschlag View Post
    No, Heinze is more Germanic than the average white American.
    Who's more Germanic: the average White Swiss or average White American? I'm sure that's actually what grinds your gears. We can cherry-pick like you, or see the forest for the trees. Only Louisiana and Hawaii insist on bilingualism like French in Canada and Polynesian in New Zealand, but you have quadruple linguistics enshrined by the Helvetic Confederation. Still worse, is that Romance Romansh is the only language endemic to Switzerland and that 3/4 of the languages there are Romance, despite those of Aleman descent being most numerous, probably also 3/4. How odd. I'm mindful of the fact that Italians haven't got their culture equal to the Anglo-Saxon here, unlike under the ćgis of your Bernese government. Keep pointing fingers at America in particular though, even whilst worshiping Taylor Swift and 'pure' Anglo-Saxons like her with a known and 'appreciated' Italian family tree. Insecurity backed up by hypocrisy is awesome!

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 02:51 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    German; Scot-Irish; Scandinavian
    Country
    United States United States
    Married
    Occupation
    Free Lance
    Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    With mass immigration and importing in refugees, life has been more confusing to the young. I have witnessed Blacks who speak excellent German because their father has been African American and left behind a biracial baby in Germany or elsewhere. Also, I have met Vietnamese in Norway who speak the language as I do not; although I have Norwegians in my family living in Norway. Globalism has made simple ethnic identity into a "mess" as people struggle to define a "German" or "Dutch" person. The media clamps down on our ethnic identities to control our socialization and bonding with others. For example, other Germanic language selections can be omitted for Chinese and Spanish in public schools.