View Poll Results: Do you have to speak a Germanic language to be Germanic?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

99 48.77%
  • No!

104 51.23%
Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Speaking a Germanic Language Necessary to Be Considered Germanic?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question Is Speaking a Germanic Language Necessary to Be Considered Germanic?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    Well, how the hell Northern Italy would germanic in the first place? I think its main point which defines ones meta-etnicity is language and after that heritage! Anyway, these are both inseperable factors in defining identity! If you are not Germanic speaking you are not Germanic. If you are not of Germanic background but speak Germanic language, you are not Germanic either. In a nutshell you are Germanic if you are born to Germanic parents!

Let me refer you to the Tyrolese.. and I was speaking genetically, obviously. So all those German(ic) Argentinians aren't Germanic because they speak Spanish? Or the ethnic Germans in Russia and Poland who don't speak German anymore? That's not very reasonable of you

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    Let me refer you to the Tyrolese.. and I was speaking genetically, obviously. So all those German(ic) Argentinians aren't Germanic because they speak Spanish? Or the ethnic Germans in Russia and Poland who don't speak German anymore? That's not very reasonable of you
    Is there something non-reasonable with it? Germanic heritage is far different from being a germanic, ofcourse Argentinians are not Germanics unless along with the blood they've retained the culture including the German language. Same applies to Tyrols. As said heritage and Language is inseperable while defining meta-etnicity!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Is there something non-reasonable with it? Germanic heritage is far different from being a germanic, ofcourse Argentinians are not Germanics unless along with the blood they've retained the culture including the German language. Same applies to Tyrols. As said heritage and Language is inseperable while defining meta-etnicity!
    So, if you don't speak German you're not Germanic? If so, according to what you believe qualifies one to be "Germanic", many, many people need correct their profiles on this site. If you find nothing unreasonable about that I see no reason to even continue entertaining this conversation with you

Last Online
    Monday, October 8th, 2007 @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree PeterThaGreat! Many Irish and Welsh people from the UK don't speak a Celtic language, they speak English like us and their culture is Anglo, so they are Germanic. If your native language isn't Germanic, you aren't one. It's very simple!

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    So, if you don't speak German you're not Germanic?
    Isn't it obvious he choose the langauge according to the example? The prerequesite is obviously to speak a Germanic language.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    Isn't it obvious he choose the langauge according to the example? The prerequesite is obviously to speak a Germanic language.

He said German, not Germanic, he can try to backtrack now and claim he meant Germanic, but it isn't what he said.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    So, if you don't speak German you're not Germanic? If so, according to what you believe qualifies one to be "Germanic", many, many people need correct their profiles on this site. If you find nothing unreasonable about that I see no reason to even continue entertaining this conversation with you
    Woopy doo....Phewww.....you know fairly well that I was only using German language as an example to fit it in your example of Germans in Argentina. This is not going to change, no matter how you twist it. There's nothing controversial or revolutionary in the idea that to "qualify" as Germanic one must speak germanic language as mothertongue.

Quote Originally Posted by Frigg View Post
    I agree PeterThaGreat! Many Irish and Welsh people from the UK don't speak a Celtic language, they speak English like us and their culture is Anglo, so they are Germanic. If your native language isn't Germanic, you aren't one. It's very simple!
    That's true. Scotts, Irish and Wells are pretty much Germanized but atleast Scotts and Wells share more or less germanic heritage as well!

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    You know fairly well that I was only using German language to fit your example of Germans in Argentina. This is not going to change, no matter how you twist it. There's nothing controversial or revolutionary in the idea that to "qualify" as Germanic one must speak germanic language as mothertongue.
    I wasn't trying to "twist" anything, I simply don't agree with what you have to say.

If you were raised in Finland one could easily argue you are not Germanic because you were raised in a non Germanic country (though I know nothing about you, I'm only basing this assumption on your profile). You can learn a foreign language, it's not so easy to "learn" a foreign culture

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I wasn't trying to "twist" anything, I simply don't agree with what you have to say.

If you were raised in Finland one could easily argue you are not Germanic because you were raised in a non Germanic country (though I know nothing about you, I'm only basing this assumption on your profile). You can learn a foreign language, it's not so easy to "learn" a foreign culture
    O'boy, why do I have even bother....."yawn", first we are not talking about learning a language, we are talking about mothertongue, secondly like said heritage and language are inseperable part while defining meta-etnicity! I really do not care much if you don't agree becouse I know that 90% of the members in this board agree including every germanic member there is!

This is what wrote about myself couple of pages back,

I know only that my grandmother (maternal) was from Småland, Sweden and married a Finnishswedish man from Helsingfors at the age 21. (He was derivived of the Swedish settlers in Western Nyland) My paternal Grandmother was a Swede too from Åland. I've seen the family chart of the 32 ancestors from my fathers paternal side (from the capital,Helsinfors too) all the names were Swedish and all from various parts of Swedish Nyland, but mainly from the central parts which was settled by the Swedish settlers from Hälsingland (Central Sweden) starting from the 13th century as opposed to the Swedes from Malär region in Western Nyland. I may have some Finnish admixture, not recent though, since I don't have a clue what's happened between the years 1200-1500, all I know there wasn't much Finns in the rural Swedish enclaves in rural archipelago.

Firstmost I am a Finnishwede and of Swedish extraction and raised in Finnishswedish culture. As my mothertongue I speak one of the official language of the country, Swedish! In sports my alighment goes along with my Fenno-Ugrian countrymates, to Finland that is! I am sure you find it problematic but I really don't bother! That's all!

Page 1 of 17 12345611 ... LastLast