View Poll Results: Do you have to speak a Germanic language to be Germanic?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

    104 49.52%
  • No!

    106 50.48%
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 182

Thread: Is Speaking a Germanic Language Necessary to Be Considered Germanic?

  1. #11
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    Monday, October 8th, 2007 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Age
    41
    Posts
    76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    10
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

    Question Germanic language

    Do you have to speak a Germanic language to be Germanic? I think you have to because Germanic is about language too!

  2. #12
    Account Inactive

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 09:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Gender
    Posts
    1,474
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    O'boy, why do I have even bother....."yawn", first we are not talking about learning a language, we are talking about mothertongue, secondly like said heritage and language are inseperable part while defining meta-etnicity! I really do not care much if you don't agree becouse I know that 90% of the members in this board agree including every germanic member there is!
    You're completey excluding culture. Heritage, language, and tradition/culture are not inseparable, you claim they are culture doesn't matter, but it doesn't mean you're right. Finland is not a Germanic country, you were not raised in a Germanic country so it doesn't give you any more right to claim "Germanic-ness" than someone who has Germanic heritage but was raised without the language (following your logic at least).

    I really do not care much if you don't agree becouse I know that 90% of the members in this board agree including every germanic member there is!
    Unless you've spoken with every single Germanic member on this board about this topic, don't vouch for them, it's common courtesy not to really.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Rassenpapst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    Monday, February 18th, 2008 @ 05:49 AM
    Gender
    Age
    37
    Posts
    374
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    7
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Is Gisele Bündchen Germanic? She does not speak German but she is of 100% German ancestry. Her parents are fluent in German. She has also learned to speak English fluently.


  4. #14
    Account Inactive

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Gender
    Family
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    36
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    You're completey excluding culture. Heritage, language, and tradition/culture are not inseperable, you claim they are culture doesn't matter, but it doesn't mean you're right. Finland is not a Germanic country, you were not raised in a Germanic country so it doesn't give you any more right to claim "Germanic-ness" than someone who has Germanic heritage but was raised without the language (following your logic at least).



    Unless you've spoken with every single Germanic member on this board about this topic, don't vouch for them, it's common courtesy not to really.
    Woopy Dooo, I say!

    Please do not give examples and tie them to my logic, since you really haven't listened much what has been said. (Such people are usually referred as stupids or Dociles). Even at the risk of breaching against good germanic manners and getting banned, I say you are simply stupid!

    First, language plays very significant part of the culture

    Second, reversing your logic African-Americans are not Africans because they are raised in Germanic country, German Jews are not Semitic because they are raised in Germany and not in Israel, apparently Afrikaaners are not Germanic either because they are raised in overwhelmingly non-germanic country as well! I am afraid no one has not mentioned to you that countries nor passports do not define etnicities nor cultures, folks do! I am raised in a Germanic culture, a Finnishswedish culture, which clearly differs from the Finnish one! There surely are bigger distinctions among cultures in a global level and although I am well aware of the Fenno-Ugrian culture and traditions here in Finland and live as part of it, I come from a different cultural background as the majority of my countrymates! Such as me are referred as minorities!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassenpapst View Post
    Is Gisele Bündchen Germanic? She does not speak German but she is of 100% German ancestry. Her parents are fluent in German. She has also learned to speak English fluently.

    I am sure she defines her a Brazilian, not Germanic. However This kind cases represents the problematic ones, she is clearly born directly to Germanic parents, both German speaking and of germanic ancestry. It's up to her to decide what she is. In her case its hard for us to judge!

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeterThaGreat For This Useful Post:


  6. #15
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Friday, June 18th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Vandalic
    Ancestry
    Reidgotalandic
    Location
    Limes Germanicus
    Gender
    Posts
    943
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    The national Germanic languages are increasingly unsatisfactory as markers of meta-ethnicity, since more and more non-Germanics living in Europe and North America master these languages to perfection. If language is to become a significant marker again, a relatively unknown Germanic language should be introduced as a new "lingua franca."

  7. #16
    Account Inactive

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Gender
    Family
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    36
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vingolf View Post
    The national Germanic languages are increasingly unsatisfactory as markers of meta-ethnicity, since more and more non-Germanics living in Europe and North America master these languages to perfection. If language is to become a significant marker again, a relatively unknown Germanic language should be introduced as a new "lingua franca."
    That's perfectly correct that's why I said Germanic language together with heritage are defining factors while judging ones meta-etnicity! Language and Blood are both inseperable parts in order to "qualify" as Germanic!

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeterThaGreat For This Useful Post:


  9. #17
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Friday, June 18th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Vandalic
    Ancestry
    Reidgotalandic
    Location
    Limes Germanicus
    Gender
    Posts
    943
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    29
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    That's perfectly correct that's why I said Germanic language together with heritage are defining factors while judging ones meta-etnicity! Language and Blood are both inseperable parts in order to "qualify" as Germanic!
    In my view people of Germanic descent and heritage in parts of Northern France should also be counted as Germanics, even though they do not speak a Germanic language anymore. A Jew is still a Jew even if he doesn't speak Hebrew anymore. In order to strengthen pan-Germanic consciousness, as already mentioned, it would be advantageous to introduce a relatively unknown, maybe ancient, Germanic language (Gothic?) in order to distinguish ourselves from other meta-ethnic groups.

  10. #18
    Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Jäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Gender
    Posts
    4,403
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    23
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    128
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rassenpapst View Post
    Is Gisele Bündchen Germanic?
    The question who is Germanic can be seen as an extension to who is German, just replace German with Germanic , the definition of Dr. Joseph Göbbels

    "Who is a German ethnic brother?
    Every honest working German, in so far he is of German blood (six races of Germany after Günther), is of German custom and culture, and speaks the German language!" (Dr. Joseph Göbbels, Das kleine abc des Nationalsozialisten.)

    One can be learned rather easily (language) some might take a generation or more (customs, culture) and one you need to be born with (blood)
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

  11. #19
    Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Blood_Axis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 8th, 2021 @ 08:56 AM
    Ethnicity
    Hellenic
    Ancestry
    75% Hellenic. 25% Anglosaxon
    Subrace
    Noric
    Country
    Other Other
    Gender
    Age
    43
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Religion
    Still searching
    Posts
    5,150
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    31
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    83
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat
    It's up to her to decide what she is.
    That's like saying that if I was born and raised in a germanic country and spoke a germanic language, it would be up to me to decide what I am (hellenic or germanic). Really? I think not. Blood is blood.

  12. #20
    Account Inactive

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2008 @ 11:48 AM
    Subrace
    Teutonordid (Hallstatt)
    Gender
    Family
    Crossed in love
    Occupation
    student/musician/
    Posts
    757
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    36
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    The question who is Germanic can be seen as an extension to who is German, just replace German with Germanic , the definition of Dr. Joseph Göbbels

    "Who is a German ethnic brother?
    Every honest working German, in so far he is of German blood (six races of Germany after Günther), is of German custom and culture, and speaks the German language!" (Dr. Joseph Göbbels, Das kleine abc des Nationalsozialisten.)

    Some things can be learned (language, customs) some not (blood)
    German goverment took the stance in the 90's that everyone born to German parents are Germans, a citizen was immeadiately granted for the thousands of "German" Russians in Volga. They soon found out that these people with German roots were just plain Russians with zero competence in German language and knowledge of German customs!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What Are Considered Dominant Germanic Haplogroups?
    By BMWkid in forum Population Genetics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Tuesday, August 11th, 2020, 03:11 PM
  2. Is Wavy or Curly Hair Considered Non-Germanic?
    By tisme in forum Physical Anthropology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: Wednesday, February 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •