View Poll Results: Do you have to speak a Germanic language to be Germanic?

Voters
203. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

99 48.77%
  • No!

104 51.23%
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Is Speaking a Germanic Language Necessary to Be Considered Germanic?

Last Online
    Monday, October 28th, 2019 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    How suppressive were the previous Communist governments in the Balkans about German language? And how far spread is the phenomenon where someone is of full German blood and had to learn the language as an adult, I personally know three of such cases in fact.

Well, as far as Yugoslavia goes, very suppressive in the beginning. German was even removed from schools which traditionally taught it as a foreign language and replaced it with Russian. It was only available at the university level. That persisted until the 80s when it was brought back.
    I do not know of any case where usage of German at home persisted. There was a lot of finger pointing and people disappearing in the years after the war so speaking German would have been a very dangerous thing to do.
    Lieber tot als Sklave!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 03:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Well, no.

Do you have to speak a Germanic language to be Germanic?
    No. The Normans were a Germanic people, a Norse and Frankish blend, and they spoke their own dialect of Old French. So, clearly not!
    Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 12th, 2017 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingvaeonic View Post
    No. The Normans were a Germanic people, a Norse and Frankish blend, and they spoke their own dialect of Old French. So, clearly not!
    The Normans were no Germanic people anymore, after they lost their Germanic language. At the time when they invaded England, they were already a sort of Roman spin-off. It is ridiculous to consider them as Germanic, because where then would be the borderline? In that case we would even have the French of today to consider as "Germanic", which is absurd.

The Normans lost their Germanic language for two reasons. One (and the main) reason was biological: a huge surplus of young males met with a lack of akin females. So, they took local, that means romanized females and interbred with them. There is a reason why the first language of a human is called "mother"-tongue, and not "father"-tongue. The language is learned within the first 5 years in life, and during that time, the child is more often and more closely together with the mother, hears more from the mother, and talks more to the mother. If the child, the son, of a Germanic father seldom sees him, and almost never talks with him, then he gets alienated from the Germanic language, thinking, and feeling, if the mother is not Germanic. And exactly this happened to almost all the children of the Norman males.

The other (side) reason was: these new-born "Frenchmen" they all were so so proud of being finally, ultimately, generously "recognized" and "accepted" as "noblemen". They wanted as soon as possible "integrate" into that decadent swinish post-Roman "society". So they had nothing faster to do than to lay off and throw away the heritage of their ancestors, and they almost went head over heals in showing proudly -- and somewhat ashamed -- their new allegiance, and they took affirmative action in proving it by de-Germanizing all other Germanic people wherever they came along.

But it didn't help them; finally, they themselves were thrown into the ashcan of history.

The destiny of the Normans must forever be a serious warning to all other Germanic people! That destiny is so tragic and so disgusting, so ironical and ultimately well deserved, that it is a textbook example for how Germanics must not do it.

Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 04:06 AM
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian American
    Ancestry
    Norwegian, German
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Minnesota Minnesota
    Family
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Pan-Germanic
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Language and culture were traditionally sort of intertwined. Language is not just a means of communication but an integral part of culture. For example we all know one of those untranslatable words from a language, for which you need to speak and understand the language so that you get their true significance.

Each culture has a certain fashion in which they use their language: us Americans for example, are outspoken. If you want to learn about our culture, you'll have to understand our language, and vice versa. Another thing is, when a culture changes, so does the language, and vice versa. We bring in new words to refer to new concepts from our culture.

I don't speak the language of my ancestors, so I wouldn't call myself Norwegian (I want to learn it though, as it would probably give me more of an insight into my ancestors' culture). I call myself Norwegian American. My ancestors brought part of the Norwegian culture with them to America, and some of them still exist. Because of the widespread of English and availability of translations nowadays, I can study my culture in the English language, at least most of its modern history. However understanding Norwegian would give me a better overview and limitless access to my ancestors' history.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, July 12th, 2019 @ 03:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    English/German combo
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Sagittarius
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spjabork View Post
    The Normans were no Germanic people anymore, after they lost their Germanic language. At the time when they invaded England, they were already a sort of Roman spin-off. It is ridiculous to consider them as Germanic, because where then would be the borderline? In that case we would even have the French of today to consider as "Germanic", which is absurd....
    So my post is "ridiculous" and "absurd." Very good. As you wish.
    Between the devil and the deep blue sea.

Last Online
    Monday, July 29th, 2019 @ 01:38 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English/British, part Irish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Sussex Sussex
    Single adult
    Occupation
    warehouse work, arts and crafts
    Politics
    Tribalism, Anarcho-Primitivism
    Religion
    Traditionalist Pagan/heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts
    People should identify as "Nordic" rather than "Germanic", though I suppose you could identify with "Germania" in the Roman sense as that isn't just a linguistic distinction.

Anyway, large areas of France are more Germanic/Nordic than many Germans are, or even some Scandinavians. Plus Ukraine has pretty similar ancestry to Germanic Scandinavians and therefore Nordic people in general. I think you can make the argument that across northern Europe Finnic peoples excluded you can make the basic observation that those with blonde - dark blonde hair and blue - green eyes are Germanic/Nordic, and look Nordic so must be of essentially the same stock as us. You can judge a book by its cover. At a stretch this does also apply to some areas of southern Europe, northern Italy for instance I guess, but I don't think it's really necessary or beneficial to be quite that pan-European.

Last Online
    Monday, October 28th, 2019 @ 04:34 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Donauschwaben
    Subrace
    Keltic nordid/Alpinid
    State
    Danube Swabian Community Danube Swabian Community
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Mad scientist
    Politics
    Politically incorrect
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts

nordic ukranian space aliens
    Lieber tot als Sklave!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mööv For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 05:40 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Australian
    Country
    Australia Australia
    Nordish Preservationist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    No it's the blood.
    Our beauty is our power, our strength. We can’t allow them to change us, to lessen us. I will never grant them that satisfaction, and neither should you!

White Oleander

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 08:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigebrond View Post
    People should identify as "Nordic" rather than "Germanic"
    I come from the German-speaking Alps, which is pretty Central in Europe, in fact geographically speaking, the Mediterranean is much more proximate. Referring to myself as 'Nordic' would be the grossest misnomer since they called a marine star-shaped invertebrate a 'starfish'.
    -In kalte Schatten versunken... /Germaniens Volk erstarrt / Gefroren von Lügen / In denen die Welt verharrt-
    -Die alte Seele trauernd und verlassen / Verblassend in einer erklärbaren Welt / Schwebend in einem Dunst der Wehmut / Ein Schrei der nur unmerklich gellt-
    -Auch ich verspüre Demut / Vor dem alten Geiste der Ahnen / Wird es mir vergönnt sein / Gen Walhalla aufzufahren?-

(Heimdalls Wacht, In kalte Schatten versunken, stanzas 4-6)

Last Online
    Sunday, November 12th, 2017 @ 07:54 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Silesia Silesia
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Aesthete View Post
    No it's the blood.
    The blood is the most important, but it is also the language. If the language is not Germanic, then the thinking is not Germanic. But if the thinking is not Germanic, how can the person be? The person then is outwardly looking like a Germanic person, but inwardly isn't one.

This is not a problem for Germanics alone, it is also a problem for all other ethnic groups (=peoples).