Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718

Thread: Non-Germanic in Your Family History?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    6 Days Ago @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sophia View Post
    My mothers grandmother was from venice. Somewhere up my dads maternal line maybe 5 or 6 generations it goes irish.
    Mostly English though, on my dads side around Yorkshire, on my mothers around Surrey.
    My surname is from near Richmond in Yorkshire, while my wife's surname is from near Richmond in Surrey. We live in an American Richmond.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterThaGreat View Post
    You americans are too aware of you backgrounds.

I know only that my grandmother (maternal) was from Småland, Sweden and married a Finnishswedish man from Helsingfors at the age 21. (He was derivived of the Swedish settlers in Western Nyland) My paternal Grandmother was a Swede too from Åland. I've seen the family chart of the 32 ancestors from my fathers paternal side (from the capital,Helsinfors too) all the names were Swedish and all from various parts of Swedish Nyland, but mainly from the central parts which was settled by the Swedish settlers from Hälsingland (Central Sweden) starting from the 13th century as opposed to the Swedes from Malär region in Western Nyland. I may have some Finnish admixture, not recent though, since I don't have a clue what's happened between the years 1200-1500, all I know there wasn't much Finns in the rural Swedish enclaves in rural archipelago.
    Before my Dad's side got to England, they were part of an Uppland clan that later went to the SW triangle of Finland, between Turku and Helsinki and the Gulf of Finland. Some rune stones state that sons and brothers went as Vikings West to England and as Varangians East to Greece, or a single man did both. Parish records attest to our onomastic presence in Nyland during the 14th century.

My phenotype has a blend of Fenno-Nordid (Dad and I), Savolaxid (grandfather, me when a toddler, older son), Tavastid (me now and younger son) and Scando-Lappid (me some time after my toddler blonde hair went dark and my curls became wavy). I have some bit of Aisto-Nordid and Jaedertypen that my sons inherit too, both of which seem to be how I looked as a teenager. I haven't kept a singular stereotypical subracial phenotype the whole time of my life, but the particular characteristics I find in myself are mostly in Finland and somehow the older Norse Upper Palaeolithic population as well. Since my characteristics are from the lands encircling Svealand, whether or not it appears that I myself am Gotatype, I can tell my heritage is from the whole area.

Dad and his father are quite a bit more stereotypical Hallstatt Nordid than I, probably because I have a double dose of Irish and Canadian, while he has one from his mother and I get that along with what Mom gets from her father. Dad has a Troender look bordering on Bruenn, but then again, has very Hallstatt facial features. His father has a similar look, although it is more Anglo-Saxon than Troender and more Nordid than UP in frame, but his face is more Savolaxid--the impression being a blend between Charles Laughton, Harold Wilson or Tom Wilkinson and Max von Sydow. Dan Aykroyd has a similar Yorkshire look to my grandfather's cousin, whose mother was Canadian just like his, but not so much the Hallstatt look.

My maternal grandfather has Keltic Nordic and judging by Mom's brothers' looks, I would say that there is an Anglo-Saxon phenotype there leaning on Bruenn between them in addition to the Keltic. My maternal grandfather looks a bit like Russell Crowe and I have been accused of resembling both men. Heh. Dad's mother's Irish was Viking from Ulster and her Canadian was Gaulish. Mom's father's Irish was Gaelic from Munster and his Canadian was of a Christian name, so probably Latin rather than Gaulish or Frankish.

Both Dad's father's and Mom's mother's XY and XX Ahnentafel are English before America, whereas Dad's mother's and Mom's father's XY and XX are English on one hand, Canadian on the other. Phenotypically, my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother are very similar in their light-complexioned Germanic features, while my paternal grandmother and maternal grandfather likewise share their own look derived from a blend of Yankee, Irish and Canadian. There are somewhat lopsided relations amongst both sets of grandparents, perhaps making each of my parents lopsided in turn, but they stabilize through bringing my sister and I into the world.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post

His name is Robert Paulsen...His name is Robert Paulsen
    https://www.youtube.com/GCi_PIz5ekU
    I didn't get it at first and had to use Google. Paulsen was the name of the Secretary of the Treasury.

For my children, here are the 32 ancestors...

American citizens @ 25/32:
    16/32 Kentucky (13/32 English, 2/32 Scottish & 1/32 Irish)
    4/32 Rhode Island (English)
    2/32 Alabama (English & Dutch)
    1/32 Virginia (English)
    1/32 Arkansas (English)
    1/32 Pennsylvania (Irish)

British subjects @ 7/32:
    4/32 England (English)
    3/32 Quebec (French)

My kids have 1/32 each of Cork, Dublin, Touraine, Poitou & Maine. All 5/32 of them were attached simultaneously to England, as early as Henry of Anjou and Eleanor of Aquitaine in the 12th century.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    My own 32...

British subjects @ 16/32:
    8/32 England (7/32 English & 1/32 Scottish-Lowlands)
    6/32 Quebec (French)
    2/32 Ireland (Irish-Ulster & Munster)

American citizens @ 16/32:
    5/32 Rhode Island (English)
    3/32 Alabama (English, German, Dutch)
    2/32 Kentucky (English, German)
    1/32 Massachusetts (English)
    1/32 New Hampshire (English)
    1/32 Virginia (English)
    1/32 Georgia (English-Wales)
    1/32 Tennessee (Scottish-Lowlands)
    1/32 Connecticut (Irish-Ulster)

With 16/32 or 50%, I've got more recent British subjects for ancestors than my children having 7/32 or 21.875%, whereas my grandfather had all 32 or 100% British and more than my father with 22/32 or 68.75%.

Dad's 32...

British subjects @ 22/32:
    16/32 England (14/32 English & 2/32 Scottish-Lowlands)
    4/32 Quebec (French)
    2/32 Ireland (Irish-Ulster)

American citizens @ 10/32:
    6/32 Rhode Island (English)
    3/32 Massachusetts (English)
    1/32 New Hampshire (English)

Grandfather's 32...

British subjects @ 32/32:
    32/32 England (28/32 English & 4/32 Scottish-Lowlands)

So, my kids are 5/32 or 15.625% non-Germanic and majority American, I'm 10/32 or 31.25% non-Germanic and half-British/half-American, my dad is 6/32 or 18.75% non-Germanic and majority British, my grandfather wholly Germanic and wholly British, with both parents' surnames of Viking origin and them each born in Bradford. The proportions probably don't make sense to some people: How could my mostly British father and mostly American children be more Germanic than myself in the middle generation, making me the least like my grandfather? Maternal lineages are what differentiate paternal genetics.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I have reworked all the above, for a special Brexit edition!

For my children, here are the 32 ancestors...

American citizens @ 25/32:
    16/32 Kentucky (British)
    4/32 Rhode Island (British)
    2/32 Alabama (British & European-Dutch)
    1/32 Virginia (British)
    1/32 Arkansas (British)
    1/32 Pennsylvania (British)

British subjects @ 7/32:
    4/32 England (British)
    3/32 Quebec (European-French)

My kids have 1/32 Dutch & 3/32 French. All 4/32 of them were attached to the Dominions of New England and Canada, as early as kings Charles II and George II in the 17th & 18th centuries, but each claimed by Elizabeth I and Leicester as well as Edward III and Philippa of Hainault, William I with Matilda of Flanders before them, in the pre-colonial European theatre.

My own 32...

British subjects @ 16/32:
    8/32 England (British)
    6/32 Quebec (European-French)
    2/32 Ireland (British)

American citizens @ 16/32:
    5/32 Rhode Island (British)
    3/32 Alabama (1/32 British, 2/32 European-Dutch & German)
    2/32 Kentucky (British, European-German)
    1/32 Massachusetts (British)
    1/32 New Hampshire (British)
    1/32 Virginia (British)
    1/32 Georgia (British)
    1/32 Tennessee (British)
    1/32 Connecticut (British)

With 9/32 or 28.125%, I've got more recent Europeans for ancestors (adding 2/32 German to 1/32 Dutch and 6/32 French) than my children (1/32 Dutch & 3/32 French) and father (with all 4/32 French)--both generations before and after having 4/32 or 12.5%, whereas my grandfather had 0/32 or 0% European.

Dad's 32...

British subjects @ 22/32:
    16/32 England (British)
    4/32 Quebec (European-French)
    2/32 Ireland (British)

American citizens @ 10/32:
    6/32 Rhode Island (British)
    3/32 Massachusetts (British)
    1/32 New Hampshire (British)

Grandfather's 32...

British subjects @ 32/32:
    32/32 England (British)

So, my kids and father are 28/32 or 87.5% non-European and majority British, I'm 23/32 or 71.875% non-European and majority British, my grandfather 32/32 or 100% British, with both parents born in Britain. The proportions probably don't make sense to some people: How could my father and children be more British than myself in the middle generation, making me the least like my grandfather and most European? Maternal lineages are what differentiate paternal genetics, for my mother has German and Dutch in addition to the French my father's mother already has provided and been increased by the combination betwixt them. Moreover, my German and Dutch help check the percentage of French, in addition to the English and Scottish outweighing the Irish.

I'm both the least Germanic and least British of the past four generations, with my grandfather both most Germanic and most British, but children and father in between us--with my children more Germanic than my father, who's more British than them. I've always looked up to my grandfather as simultaneously the first born (male lineage in America) and last born (no other non-American lines post-date his 1937 birth only one season before Edward and Mrs. Simpson tied the knot), and his photograph is the only one on my dresser, alongside those of my wife, others of her and I together. My grandfather may just as well have been born in Bradford, or in Lancaster if the SS Ivernia had sunken sooner than WWI. My father's genes cluster in Italian-majority Rhode Island, mine in American-majority Kentucky, with those of my children in Mexican-majority Arizona. So, even if I may be the most Celtic and Romance European of four generations, my attitude is in explicit nativist American rejection of the two foreign collectives dominating the areas my father and children are more connected to, linking my American affinity to my grandfather's British origins.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8131415161718