Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Germanic Settlement in Iberia (Visigoths vs Swabians)

Last Online
    Monday, August 13th, 2012 @ 06:01 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic-American
    Ancestry
    Swiss/Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Arizona Arizona
    Occupation
    Tech Support
    Politics
    Independent
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In college I took a Spanish class and the professor was a Spanish woman from Galicia. She was an excellent teacher, one of my favorite things about her was the way that she would always correct a student if he used a Mexican inflection as opposed to Spanish.

Anyway, she taught a big section about Spanish history, particularly about her home region. That was when I first learned about the Celtiberians and the "Alemanes" who settled in the region. She also showed a number of slides showing scenery and people from Galicia. I was shocked how many blondes there were in her pictures. The landscape is absolutely beautiful as well. Ever since then I have always been very interested in the Swabian kingdom in Galicia.

The Spanish word for Germans is "Alemanes". The Swabians were closely related to the Alemanni, who ended up settling in Switzerland around the same time the Swabians settled in Galicia. Most sources I have read agree that the Alemanni were actually an offshoot of the older Swabian confederation. In any regard, the region of Spain the Swabians settled in, was apparently sparsely populated at the time, and what population was in the region was almost entirely Gallic.

The name of the region, Galicia, is derived from the native Gallaeci people, who were of clear celtic origin. In prehistory some groups of celtic people from Galicia are believed to have migrated north into Britain and Ireland. Many have theorized that the Silures tribe in ancient Britain were actually the descendants of one of these migrating groups from Galicia.

In any event, when the Swabians arrived in Galicia it is said that they got along quite well with the native population, owing to many cultural similarities, not the least of which was paganism. Although the territory was nominally christianized under the Roman domination it seems as though most of the native Gallaeci people were still pagan when the Swebians arrived. Very quickly after their arrival the the differences between Gallaeci and Suebi people faded, leading to the systematic use of terms like Galliciense Regnum (Galician Kingdom), Regem Galliciae (King of Galicia), Rege Suevorum (King of Suebi), and Galleciae totius provinciae rex (king of all Galician provinces).

Eventually, of course, the Swabian kingdom was assimilated into the larger Visigothic kingdom. However, later on, when the Moors invaded Spain the northwest corner of the Iberian peninsula, including Galicia, was the only territory that was not conquered by the Muslims. In fact, the Reconquista actually began in that region under the leadership of the Austurian Visigothic King Pelagius (Pelayo in spanish).

Last Online
    Monday, May 27th, 2019 @ 05:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlessedGoddess View Post
    The Visigoth blood is still floating around. The sad thing is...This forum wouldn't let my bf join who has Visigoth background. Last I checked..That was Germanic tribe.
    I most likely have Visigoth floating around some where in my blood as well.

Some maps..

Some other interesting maps.

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society."

~Aristotle

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 @ 06:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    All of Eurpoe mixed(Mostly German by %)
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Celtic, and Slavic
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Artist
    Politics
    NA
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some Spaniards you can clearly see they are Germanic.
    I feel Skadi forum should see the Spanish people as Germanic people. From the fact that they are. I dislike how they just kick them out and block them.
    A lot of Spanish sir names even have Germanic origins as well!

So what if their language is Latin based?? That came from the strong Roman influence. When the Roman empire ruled over all of Iberia.
    It's silly to outcast our own people!
    Even the Portuguese people have Germanic blood!!

Spain

[IMG]http://www.miliwoman.com/Spain/Army/military_woman_spain_army_000004.jpg.htm l?p=*full-image[/IMG]

Portugal

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 4th, 2011 @ 06:32 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    All of Eurpoe mixed(Mostly German by %)
    Ancestry
    Germanic, Celtic, and Slavic
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Artist
    Politics
    NA
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If anyone still thinks this blood doesn't live on in the blood of modern day Spaniards...Then you are just flat out mad!

And for the British folk on here:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...-from-spain.do

"Scientists have discovered the British are descended from a tribe of Spanish fishermen. DNA analysis has found the Celts — Britain's indigenous population — have an almost identical genetic "fingerprint" to a tribe of Iberians from the coastal regions of Spain who crossed the Bay of Biscay almost 6,000 years ago."

"A team led by Professor Sykes — who is soon to publish the first DNA map of the British Isles — spent five years taking DNA samples from 10,000 volunteers in Britain and Ireland, in an effort to produce a map of our genetic roots."

Surprise!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12