Politics
    conservative
    Religion
    christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: How much do you bench ? (for gym frequenters)

Tricky question- pro-hormones , pro-steriods , and all forms of andro (excluding dhea-wich is totally ineffectual for conversion to testosterone)were made illegal to possess or distribute here (U.S.) just last year . I used to buy my "legal steriods" right at GNC- a popular health supplement chain store , 1-test gave amazing results when coupled with daily protien , creatine and a few andro based supps.I started power lifting and strength training around eight years ago whenI hit my early thirties - never getting into the bodybuilding side , just working for pure mass and strength.ON the legal supps. I was benching in the neighborhood of 315 -355 x3-6 reps x6-8 sets, my one rep best was 405 , might have been able to throw up a few more but would have had to throw on the smaller plates as there was no way I could have handled another 45 per side.At the time I was 246lbs @ 5'11&1/2" .I drank 40 grams of protein mixed with 16 oz. milk every three hours that I was awake .My favorite lifts were Bent -over Barbell rows (Dorian Yates style-close-grip) and Bench.My chest and back were massive in a power lifter way - I didn't have the cuts and striations of a body builder but was THICK (front to back) as opposed to just WIDE (side to side- as most "gym rats" develop with too many lat pull downs and an aversion to the much harder bent rows ) .I prefer the solitude of lifting at home and the wife is useless as a spotter for those poundages so I've had many,MANY occassions of literally lifting to failure and then having to "roll" a 300+lb. loaded barbell down my torso and then stand up into a deadlift to put it down -not as bad as it sounds - the first couple times are scary then you realize nothing is going to break bone wise ( the "crotch" area should be rolled over VERY QUICKLY!)Having a strong base from deads and rows helps immensely and the stabilizer and core muscles used to roll it off you when your target areas are completely fatigued is comparable to "forced reps" to a degree in their strength building.
    These days I've mellowed a bit , it's harder to keep up the intensity/self-motivation/discipline in what can be a very monotonous boring hobby with out the now illegal "helpers" but I still manage to throw up around 220lbs for 10-12 repsx4-5 sets once to twice a week , still do weekly deadlifts ,once or twice a week rows , as well as a 1/2powerlifter/1/2bodybuilder rep/set style work out for the other parts.I don't even bother to try a one time max now - but I'd imagine the mid 300lb neighborhood would be fairly possible if I carbed up for a few days prior.
    Little advice - the most effective way to bring your bench up is to bench 3's(the absolute most bench you can lift failing on the third rep)dont read or study ANYTHING having to do with bodybuilding it's not designed for strength.Between reps take up to 10 minutes if you need it to recover - this is the opposite of b.b.ing in that respect do 6-8 setsof these high intensity 3's or5's if it suits you better no more than twice a week with two days for recovery in between , eat all you want -dont try to be cut, you joints need a cushion of some fatty tissue to handle the stress of such high intensity poundages, Just make sure your getting 2 grams of protein for every pound of yor bodyweight a day -protein powder mixed with milk in a shake is a cost effective way to do this , spread these out over the day never going more than 3 hours between them- you want to keep things in an anabolic state .AND what most gym rat "bencher"types dont do is DEADLIFTS , BENTOVER BARBELL ROWS, EVEN MACHINE LAT PULLDOWNS- your chest will only be as strong as the opposing(back) muscles and stabilizer(trunk-ie. back AGAIN) will allow.
    A newby probably is going out on a limb to post such a longwinded reply so sorry but i couldn't help myself

Last Online
    Monday, November 19th, 2018 @ 12:35 PM
    Ethnicity
    Swiss
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    Fraidenker
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sceagecros
    I prefer the solitude of lifting at home and the wife is useless as a spotter for those poundages so I've had many,MANY occassions of literally lifting to failure and then having to "roll" a 300+lb. loaded barbell down my torso and then stand up into a deadlift to put it down -not as bad as it sounds
    I have bean using the exact same method.
    Dummheit kennt keine Grenzen

Last Online
    Thursday, March 29th, 2007 @ 02:42 AM
    Subrace
    Dinarid + Atlantid + Nordid
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bench Press

Seven alternative resistance training techniques, performed using a bench press exercise, were compared with heavy weight training (HWT) on a number of variables. These resistance training techniques included isokinetics, eccentrics, functional isometrics, super slow motion, rest pause, breakdowns, and maximal power training. The main results were that eccentrics and isokinetics had significantly (p , 0.05) greater levels of force and integrated electromyography than HWT during the eccentric phase. Likewise, functional isometrics had significantly more force and breakdowns significantly higher triceps brachii electromyography than HWT
    in the concentric phase.

Super slow motion and maximal power training both recorded significantly lower levels of force and integrated electromyography than HWT in each phase. However, super slow motion resulted in significantly greater time under tension (61.70 6 2.12 vs. 21.15 6 0.92 seconds) than HWT. Maximal power training recorded significantly greater levels of power production than HWT in both the eccentric and concentric phases. Although no alternative resistance training techniques were found to produce
    significantly greater levels of blood lactate response than HWT, maximal power training and eccentrics produced significantly lower levels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails supino  métodos.pdf   Supinos.pdf  

On The Road
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    North Atlantid & Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

A rather wimpy 50kg, three sets of 8 for me.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tabitha View Post
    A rather wimpy 50kg, three sets of 8 for me.

Someone reopen my old thread.................

However.....50 kg 3 x 8 ?? Very good for a woman

Last Online
    Sunday, October 29th, 2006 @ 12:43 PM
    Subrace
    Celto-Germanic - Mainly Germanic
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Girlfriend
    Occupation
    Data Entry, Administrator
    Politics
    Pan-Aryanism / BNP. White Power
    Religion
    Christian, Nature, Old Norse
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dragone View Post
    say your max weight on bench press.
    Im 20 years old 5ft 10 and weight 82k.

My one rep max is 120k, without a spotter, I darent go heavier by myself but If I had a spotter I would probably try 130k

In general I bench around 90k, I do three sets of 8

then I do around 3 sets of ten with about 60-70k

VIKING POWER

On The Road
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Subrace
    North Atlantid & Borreby
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Well I spoke too soon,my trainer ( not really MY trainer,I see him every couple of months to keep myself on track) put me back down to 41kg, I had sacrificed form for weight.

Keeps your Whites Whiter.
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    SkandoNordid/Nordicised Faelid
    Pan-Germanic MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiðinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I alternate a 6 day split. For the "power" phase of the split, I concentrate on whole body exercises (squat, dead-lift, clean and press, bench) in the 1-3 rep. range.

After warm-up, I begin (Bench Press) with decline press: 3 reps at 315 (lbs.); 2 reps at 335 (lbs.)--these movements are 'controlled explosions' i.e. 5 seconds on the downward motion, and pushed back up in an explosive manner with a tight squeeze of the pectoralis at the apex of the movement.

The final 'power' set is whatever I can manage that day, with my all-time 'best' being 405 lbs. (Decline); 390 lbs. (Flat). I have rotator cuff problems, so I no longer do incline, but when I did my best single rep set was same as flat.

After this set, I then utilise the stripping method all the way down to the bar.

And then I (usually) puke.

I've weighed 189-191 lbs. for many years.

Next phase of the split is for endurance and speed (reps in the 15-30 range, heavy calisthenics, and tendon/auxiliary muscle strength).

I think its really important for people no to get lost in the machismo of the bench, though. Be careful.
    "...The moral man is a lower species than the immoral, a weaker species; indeed - he is a type in regard to morality, but not a type in himself; a copy...the measure of his value lies outside him. ... I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage; I do not account the evil and painful character of existence a reproach to it, but hope rather that it will one day be more evil and painful than hitherto..." (Nietzsche)

Last Online
    Thursday, June 5th, 2008 @ 05:03 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Capitalism seems to work....
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

140 pounds one rep max.

im weak.
    every year is getting shorter, never seen to find the time,
    plans that either come to nought, or half a page of scribble lines,
    hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way;
    the time has come, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast