German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

EU urges Texas to halt executions before 400 mark

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - The European Union urged the governor of Texas on Tuesday to halt all executions before the U.S. state carries out its 400th death sentence since reinstatement of the penalty in 1976.

"The European Union notes with great regret the upcoming execution in the State of Texas," the Portuguese presidency of the 27-nation bloc said in a statement.

Texas is expected to hit the 400 mark on Wednesday -- putting it far ahead of any other U.S. state -- with the execution of Johnny Ray Conner for the 1998 shooting of a grocery store clerk.

"The European Union strongly urges Governor Rick Perry to exercise all powers vested in his office to halt all upcoming executions and to consider the introduction of a moratorium in the State of Texas," the EU statement said.

The European Union, which on Tuesday called the death penalty "cruel and inhumane," is opposed to all capital punishment and has called for its worldwide abolition.

"There is no evidence to suggest that the use of the death penalty serves as a deterrent against violent crime," the statement said, adding that its irreversibility meant that miscarriages of justice could not be redressed.

The U.S. Supreme Court lifted a ban on capital punishment in 1976. Around 1,090 executions have taken place in the United States in what some refer to as the 'modern' capital punishment era which began in Utah in January 1977, with the firing squad execution of Gary Gilmore.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070821/..._executions_dc

Before Complaining. The EU has to say that. Its a part of the EU-Contract.
    Countries with captital punishment aren't allowed in the EU. Every country that joins the EU subscribes that it denounces Capital-Punishment all over the world loud, and not keeping it quiet.

Gruß,
    Boche
    "We Germans fear God, but nothing else in the world; and already that godliness is it, which let us love and foster peace."
    - Otto von Bismarck, 1888

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The only complaint that should be made is that a political institution, supposedly based on the notions of democracy and the social contract and with a clear ethically relativist agenda, should not interfere in the application of legal justice in a state in which it has no jurisdiction and which is applying, according to legal procedure, the punishment determined by a legitimate tribunal against a convict that has no legal relationship towards the complaining political institution.

In simpler terms, the EU is doing what it does best, blather. It does it internally, as in the case of substantially aiding Malta against the illegal migration phenomenon. It also does it in extra-EU affairs now. Politics requires political force, and that is arrived at through political action. As an example, in the former case I mentioned the EU should put financing and military means in order to patrol better the Mediterranean against illegal migratory flows and combat human trafficking, this together with putting pressure and even sanctions on Libya to start respecting international obligations rather than dumping them on Malta and Italy for example. We always get that here by our local do-gooders, we must respect our international obligations, very nice when such obligations stem from someone else's disrespect for his own international obligations. In the case mentioned in this thread, instead of useless blathering and interference in someone else's legitimate jurisdiction, since this is essentially a political and not a legal question, why not instate political sanctions against our US friend?

What the EU did here is contrary to its own expressed political philosophy. Not even the Vatican can be accused of that, for it always claimed the right to speak on ethical questions. As far as I know, the EU should supposedly leave that to each individual, state and culture? European Union - Guaranteed Hypocrisy.

Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 05:45 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Scotland, Norway, England, Germany
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Historian
    Politics
    Agrarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think that the fact that the EU does not allow capital punishment is a serious contributing factor to the moral decadence that has been seen over the past two decades. Now I am not saying that in the US that we use capital punishment appropriately…we use capital punishment not as a deterrent but just as a punishment. It is also performed inhumanly with the electric chair, gas chamber, or lethal injection. I prefer firing squad and hanging as when they are done they are very efficient and quick. As well I find these methods to be most cost effective as a bullet is not very expensive and a rope and gallows are very much reusable. The problem is that we do not use capital punishment enough…and we don’t use it for enough crimes. I feel that if you are guilty of murder (as opposed to manslaughter and crimes of passion), violent rape, treason, child molestation, and similar crimes that you should be executed. The execution should serve two purposes. First it removes scum form our society and secondly it (when preformed openly in the public) serves as a lesson to others. Some of you if not most will probably disagree with me on this matter…call me an old-timer. I do not believe in prisons at all I think there are two classifications of punishment…that is capital punishment and punishment of humiliation. If someone is not guilty of a capital offences then I think that public ridicule is the best alternative (you know stocks, the pillory, and the like). I find that these methods are far more cost effective so that we can use our money where it really could help and it also serves as a public service in two ways…like I said earlier it removes the scum of society and it serves as a lesson to others.
    For the Ancestors who came before us, the Generations that flow form us, for the Blood that is in our veins.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Friday, March 13th, 2020 @ 02:18 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Telecommunications
    Politics
    Libertarian/Neo-Imperialist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts

Texas responds

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6957390.stm

Texas rejects EU executions plea

Texas has told the European Union to mind its own business after the bloc called on the state's governor to get rid of the death penalty.

. . . .

Robert Black, a spokesman for the Texas governor, told the BBC News website: "Two hundred and thirty years ago, our forefathers fought a war to throw off the yoke of a European monarch and gain the freedom of self-determination.

"Texans long ago decided the death penalty is a just and appropriate punishment for the most horrible crimes committed against our citizens.

"While we respect our friends in Europe ... Texans are doing just fine governing Texas."

Last Online
    Sunday, July 1st, 2012 @ 12:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    50% German, 25% English, 25% Irish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Virginia Virginia
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Construction, writer/editor
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    Atheist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    For all they complain about us 'being the world's policeman' they sure seem to fuss a lot over how we run our country

Naturbursche
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 10:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwordOfTheVistula View Post
    For all they complain about us 'being the world's policeman' they sure seem to fuss a lot over how we run our country
    I have never expected thateurope would stick it's nose in american issues. But i understand them since the USA is sticking their nose in Germanies Issues all the time (and maybe also of other countries). Seems like we have to fight a war too to get rid of america's hand of power then.

Gruß,
    Boche
    "We Germans fear God, but nothing else in the world; and already that godliness is it, which let us love and foster peace."
    - Otto von Bismarck, 1888

Last Online
    Tuesday, September 4th, 2007 @ 10:37 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6957390.stmRobert Black, a spokesman for the Texas governor, told the BBC News website: "Two hundred and thirty years ago, our forefathers fought a war to throw off the yoke of a European monarch and gain the freedom of self-determination.
    Now this must have been the most moronic counter-argument I've ever heard even if I agree with the position it is defending. It would be like Malta telling Italy to mind its own business on the immigration question because our forefathers, supposedly, fought against Italian fascism in WWII!

Perhaps this spokesman should tell his President, an ex-Texan governor, to stop meddling in European affairs such as when he puts his weight behind Turkey's UE entry bid et cetera. He should have exclusively claimed jurisdiction and legitimacy of the judicial process leading to the punishment, not retarded claims of non-interference because his forefathers fought against the British Monarch's sovereignty over them! As if the British Monarch of any time could represent Europe en bloc.

The historical parallel and argument invoked is merely, hilarious and out of place. A bad manner to make a decent point.

Last Online
    Sunday, November 9th, 2008 @ 05:25 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    Mediterranid
    Country
    England England
    Family
    Single
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Libertarian
    Religion
    MYOB
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
    Now I am not saying that in the US that we use capital punishment appropriately…we use capital punishment not as a deterrent but just as a punishment.
    It is precisely because capital punishment is a form of punishment that I support it, being a retributivist. It has the delightful side-effect of being a deterrent too. There are problems involved though, such as establishing with certitude a criminal's guilt, and its apparently high costs (some say bolstered due to the multiple appeals trials involved.)

I must agree with Ederico though, the US has shown no hesitation in intervening in EU affairs - perhaps now its presumptuousness is being echoed back? Both the EU and the US should learn from this.

Last Online
    Thursday, December 10th, 2009 @ 07:34 AM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aegir View Post
    Now I am not saying that in the US that we use capital punishment appropriately…we use capital punishment not as a deterrent but just as a punishment. It is also performed inhumanly with the electric chair, gas chamber, or lethal injection. I prefer firing squad and hanging as when they are done they are very efficient and quick. As well I find these methods to be most cost effective as a bullet is not very expensive and a rope and gallows are very much reusable.
    I agree. A firing squad (or even the guillotine) is definitely the more humane method of execution, its instantaneous. The gas chamber, lethal injection, and electric chair seem like they'd be too drawn out.

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    Thursday, August 15th, 2019 @ 02:11 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American
    Ancestry
    England & Norway
    Subrace
    Faelid + Nordid
    Y-DNA
    R-M405
    mtDNA
    U5a1a1
    Country
    State
    California California
    Single parent
    Occupation
    Property management
    Politics
    Germanic Preservation
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Torcuil View Post
    I agree. A firing squad (or even the guillotine) is definitely the more humane method of execution, its instantaneous. The gas chamber, lethal injection, and electric chair seem like they'd be too drawn out.
    The drawn out forms of execution should be reserved for those who murdered and raped/molested over many years. I think texas is doing a great job! I've been there and it seemed like more people had "common sense" compared to here in california.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast