Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to Buy Calipers for Skull Measurements?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, June 25th, 2018 @ 03:15 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Zodiac Sign
    Aquarius
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Telecommunications
    Politics
    Libertarian/Neo-Imperialist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    essentially you take two bricks (or any flat, heavy, straight surface) turn them vertically, and stick your head lengthwise or widthwise between them....bring bricks together till snug, remove head, then measure (make sure to measure from where the gradients on the ruler begin, not where the actual plastic begins)

give it a try, I'd love to hear how it works
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    what's the verdict Leofric?

I'm quite interested in seeing how similar the two are
    Well that's the same basic design I used to whip up some makeshift calipers. The calipers I made were quite like these:

To me it seems like that's close enough to the same design as what you're describing that there's no need to test it.

The only potential problem I can think of with either design is that you just about have to be measured by someone else in order to ensure that measurements are being taken from the proper points. It's hard, for example, for a person to see where the furthest extension on the back of his own head is located.

Godiva & I measured each other and then when I got together with my brothers (one of whom was a rather frequent unregistered lurker in the anthropology fora at Skadi) we all measured one another with some better calipers — the results were the same as the previous measurements Godiva and I had taken within an acceptable tolerance of error.

I think that taking actual measurements is the best way to really make a proper classification for someone. And with the aid of sites like Dienekes Racial Analysis Calculator, analysis of the measurements taken (and subsequent classification) can become trivially simple.

Last Online
    Thursday, June 5th, 2008 @ 06:03 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Loner
    Occupation
    stargazer
    Politics
    Capitalism seems to work....
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leofric View Post
    The only potential problem I can think of with either design is that you just about have to be measured by someone else in order to ensure that measurements are being taken from the proper points. It's hard, for example, for a person to see where the furthest extension on the back of his own head is located.

I think that taking actual measurements is the best way to really make a proper classification for someone. And with the aid of sites like Dienekes Racial Analysis Calculator, analysis of the measurements taken (and subsequent classification) can become trivially simple.
    agreed, measurements are of utmost importance.

and I can see how you might run into the problem of measurement difficulty, but I'm pretty confident that I can find the furthest point of my head....I've spent many hours trying

glad to see the brick method get's the Leofric seal of approval:

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 @ 10:56 PM
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Philosopher
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://paleo-tech.com/

Click on paleo-tech instruments link at top of splash page. I bought one of his spreading calipers about 6 years ago. Hand makes each one and a pleasure to deal with. Device is kinda pricey but works beautifully... What a head-turner(!!) at parties! Especially parties of two. Perfect for proving my anthropological "bones"(!) and pretending I'm fun in a single swooosh... Back in Poland in a week, but don't wanna deal with the inevitable TSA hassle, so won't take it this time. It's great, though, for that living skulls coffee table book you've been working on. Or one of us.
    In a woman's love is injustice and blindness towards all that she does not love... Woman is not yet capable of friendship: women are still cats and birds. Or, at best, cows. Woman is not yet capable of friendship. But tell me, you men, which of you is yet capable of friendship? --- Nietzsche, TSZ

Last Online
    Thursday, October 8th, 2009 @ 12:09 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Calipers

Someone mentioned buying Calipers off "The Bay" so I looked there myself.

I'm not sure which ones I'm meant to get, so I figured I'd ask here. Should I just get normal ones or does there exist special Cranial Calipers?

Normal:

Perfection.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. - Ambrose Bierce

Last Online
    Monday, July 19th, 2010 @ 11:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Someone mentioned buying Calipers off "The Bay" so I looked there myself.

I'm not sure which ones I'm meant to get, so I figured I'd ask here. Should I just get normal ones or does there exist special Cranial Calipers?

Normal:

You should really ask for a classification if you are interested in knowing what type you are. Metrics are only of secondary importance.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Roma View Post
    You should really ask for a classification if you are interested in knowing what type you are. Metrics are only of secondary importance.
    How does that work? I find it strange that interpretations of one's sub-race is more accurate than actual measurements. Perhaps measurements are not always correct and one could have Med. measurements while being of another sub-race?

Either way, I don't want my photo on the internet - yet.
    Perfection.

Last Online
    Monday, July 19th, 2010 @ 11:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    -
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    How does that work? I find it strange that interpretations of one's sub-race is more accurate than actual measurements. Perhaps measurements are not always correct and one could have Med. measurements while being of another sub-race?

Morphological resemblances detected by trained people (not just someone who claims things) can be demonstrated by photographic material and offer a great deal of accuracy.

You can have persons with similar measurements who are quite different morphologically (for instance Bruenns and Atlanto Meds are often dolichocephalic albeit totally different).

I understand if you dont want to post pictures and I agree. You can also learn to classify yourself by studying types and so forth.

http://www.snpa.nordish.net/troephotos.htm
    www.amorsite.shorturl.com

If you want to measure your head that wont do you any harm, but dont expect it to answer all your questions.

Last Online
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thank you a lot for the links you've provided and your help regarding calipers and taxonomy!

Regards,

Elysium
    Perfection.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, June 30th, 2017 @ 09:09 PM
    Ethnicity
    Irish
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Cranial Calipers do exist, they are simply a type of spreading caliper, mainly used nowadays for measuring deformities of the skull. I bought mine second-hand off ebay as I said. However, they are not always available on ebay and without a medical licence of some sort you might have a problem buying a pair through the official distributors.

In that case, a pair of these would do just as well for most measurements.

You won't be able to use these to find "head height". For that you can use a carpenters square (which you might borrow off a relative who does diy) or else you could get by with ingenuity and the inside of a door frame....

Make sure you get the 12" model as the 8" would not be big enough.

Normal:

These would be good for taking measurements of the face but useless for the skull because the prongs are too short and being straight might prevent access to certain recessed points.

As has already been pointed out because soft-part morphology and other things, measurements alone, are not enough by which to classify someone. However, if taken accurately they can be useful when used in combination with photographs.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts

You could upload it and ask the mods to remove it after you get a few classifications, or you could send it by PM to one of the folks here who are good at classifying. :

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast