View Poll Results: Spare the Rod or Spoil the Child?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Some Spanking for Discipline has never damaged a child's later life.

100 70.92%
  • I would never spank my children, that's too old-fashioned and not good.

20 14.18%
  • I don't know yet and I don't want to think about it now.

9 6.38%
  • None of above, I explain...

12 8.51%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112

Thread: Methods of Parenting/Disciplining Children

Active Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Low German & French
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    The problem with authoritarian parenting is that such parents are usually highly demanding but not very responsive. Studies have found that children raised in an authoritarian manner tend to be timid, have low self-esteem, higher levels of depression, lack spontaneity and rely to an unusual degree on the voice of authority.

Permissive parenting on the other hand may result in children that feel over-entitled to privileges and material goods. Even if the parents try to regain control as some point, the older child will probably perceive that effort to be a power struggle. Children of permissive parents often act in reckless ways, exhibiting sexual rebellion, unsavory associates, or substance abuse. They also tend to perform less well in school, though they have higher self-esteem, better social skills, and lower levels of depression than the children of authoritarian parents.

I believe the ideal way to parent is by finding a balance between those styles. This style is known as authoritative parenting. Authoritative parents retain the authority and control of authoritarian parenting but are warmer and more communicative than the former. Such parents seek a balance between their children's obedience and their desire for independence and learning. They are both demanding and responsive. They can be assertive but not intrusive or restrictive. They want their children to be assertive as well as socially responsible and self-regulated as well as cooperative. They have high expectations of their children but allow and even encourage more freedom of expression. Consequently, the child is more likely to develop a sense of responsibility and independence. Children of authoritative parents tend to develop into more competent adults than children brought up in other styles.

Some information on authoritative parenting here: What Is Authoritative Parenting? [With Examples]

Another article I found helpful: Yelling at Your Children Humiliates Them

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    Friday, September 4th, 2020 @ 01:18 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Swedish, Scottish, Venetian (1/8 each), German, Irish (1/4 each)
    Country
    Rhodesia Rhodesia
    State
    Yorkshire Yorkshire
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Freelancer
    Politics
    Right-wing nationalist
    Religion
    Protestant Christianity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    When I have kids, I plan on being a very permissive parent. There are very few things that I wouldn't tolerate my children doing, and I won't be very demanding with regards to their academics either.

But there are a few things that I would absolutely not tolerate, such as transgenderism or other far-left abominations.

Last Online
    Wednesday, September 12th, 2018 @ 02:42 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    Luxembourg Luxembourg
    Family
    Two sisters
    Occupation
    Wyrd-weaver
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts

Florida principal who paddled 6-year-old girl cleared of wrongdoing

Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 04:14 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    To be honest, I have no general "problem" with spanking own children, but have done so only once. Though, it was less of a punishment: Many years ago one of our children, four or five years old then, was going wild in anger and we were very near a very frequented street, so I gave a little slap on the butt for calming down because of the danger of getting run over by cars and busses.

Generally speaking, I think it is most important to be a good example and to stay consistent. Reminding time after time to "whatever" (being polite, cleaning up your own mess and so on). If you are capable of this, there should be no need for bodily actions. At least with my children and so far.

Slapping is cheap, educating is not.
    "All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

- T. E. Lawrence

Last Online
    1 Hour Ago @ 09:50 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    North Western Europe
    Country
    South Africa South Africa
    State
    Transvaal Transvaal
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lichtblick View Post
    To be honest, I have no general "problem" with spanking own children, but have done so only once. Though, it was less of a punishment: Many years ago one of our children, four or five years old then, was going wild in anger and we were very near a very frequented street, so I gave a little slap on the butt for calming down because of the danger of getting run over by cars and busses.

Generally speaking, I think it is most important to be a good example and to stay consistent. Reminding time after time to "whatever" (being polite, cleaning up your own mess and so on). If you are capable of this, there should be no need for bodily actions. At least with my children and so far.

Slapping is cheap, educating is not.
    Spanking is necessary at times. In my family some kids are more "woelerig" (energetic, like myself was) and that means they need to be disciplined physically more than others. It even helps with the development of character. The laissez fair approach will produce weak personalities (and it has - possibly that was the whole purpose of it). Someone that experienced violent punishment in his upbringing, will have not as big a problem facing it in public life. And well, less problem using it, which is a virtue in itself.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2789101112