View Poll Results: Spare the Rod or Spoil the Child?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Some Spanking for Discipline has never damaged a child's later life.

100 70.92%
  • I would never spank my children, that's too old-fashioned and not good.

20 14.18%
  • I don't know yet and I don't want to think about it now.

9 6.38%
  • None of above, I explain...

12 8.51%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Methods of Parenting/Disciplining Children

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I can't stand mothers who have children, but live as they don't. They usually are young mothers, but not always. One of my best friends for example, she is 25, 2 kids, and she still runs around with immature " thug " white guys. Drinking and pills is her thing, I believe. Her mother is schizophrenic and she leaves her kids with her anyways. I don't see her much anymore, I lost interest. Thats sad cause we grew up together. I just can't handle her ways anymore. I guess its like Blaxis's question...have you lost friends because of lifestyle changes? Yes.

On another note, I have been doing better at consistency with my children. I put them in time out for misbehaving. My son won't completely get over wanting to play with my soap, shampoo, lotion? It drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Last Online
    Sunday, March 21st, 2010 @ 10:21 PM
    Ethnicity
    Old Stock American
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    I Love Him!
    Occupation
    Women-ness.
    Politics
    Liberal/Traditional
    Religion
    Spiritual
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Ban Corporal Punishment In Schools?

Human rights groups in the United States are calling on Washington to ban corporal punishment in schools, following a new report that shows the practice is still widely prevalent across the country.

The Human Rights Watch and the American Civil Liberties Union report listed 223,190 incidents of corporal punishment meted out at U.S. schools in 2006-2007 that included that of a 16-year-old, obviously pregnant, who is hit by the principal because she is late.

In another incident a three-year-old boy with attention deficit disorder comes home terrified with bruises from hips to belly button after being beaten for taking off his shoes and playing with an air conditioner.

The number of incidents is down 48,838 from 2005-2006, but the practice remains surprisingly common and popular in parts of the United States, most notably in the poor, rural South. The report said 21 states currently allow corporal punishment in schools, where educators enjoy blanket immunity from lawsuits. Corporal punishment is banned in 106 countries including Canada, where it was outlawed in 2004.

“This is the way it's always been done in these communities. They see good discipline as a way of getting a good education,” says Alice Walker, the report's author, adding that “some educators like it because it's quick and it's cheap.”

Called paddling or licks or pops, the punishment involves hitting a child on the rump or upper thighs with a wooden board. Ms. Walker thinks the approach is deeply problematic: “It creates a violent and chaotic environment where students learn that people bigger than them can use violence to lash out. Students become angry after they become hit and they want to take it out on their teachers.”

She argues the solution is a shortsighted one: it may halt bad behaviour in the short-term, but in the long-term fails to teach students why their behaviour was wrong. But the figures also unearthed some glaring disparities.

Mississippi, with 7.5 per cent, has the highest percentage of students receiving corporal punishment, while Texas, with 48,197 students, has the highest number. Boys, African Americans, native Americans, and children with disabilities were all beaten disproportionately to their numbers.

In Texas, disabled children make up 10.7 per cent of the student population, but 18.4 per cent of those hit. African Americans make up 17.1 per cent of the student population, but received 35.6 per cent of the beatings; and in the 13 states where paddling is most prevalent, African American girls were beaten at double the rate of their white counterparts.

“Many of the people I Interviewed felt there was a link between corporal punishment and slavery,” says Ms. Walker. It is a system that leaves parents with little recourse.

Those who don't want their children beaten can in some districts sign an opt-out form, but Human Rights Watch reports these are sometimes ignored as paddling often occurs in a chaotic environment where educators don't always stop to check their forms. The report describes a culture of intimidation where beatings serve as a public warning to other students: principles turn on loudspeakers while beating students, staff roam hallways with paddles, and teachers display their “boards of education” on their desks.

It also raises the ugly spectre of sexual harassment and child degradation: “The instruments used and the position of the child during the beatings are designed to cause pain and humiliation to the child. This, combined with the fact that blows are administered by mostly male school officials who are supposed to set an example, lead to an atmosphere of humiliation, violence, and degradation. This atmosphere, in some cases tinged with sexual undertones—as when teenage girls are paddled by men — is not conducive to creating a learning environment characterized by safety and mutual respect,” reads the report.

Even infractions as minor as running in the halls and going to the bathroom without permission resulted in beatings.

“You could get a paddling for almost anything. I hated it. It was used as a way to degrade, embarrass students,” said Sean D., an 18-year-old student interviewed by the organization.

Ms. Walker believes such violent school environments not only erode trust between students and educators, but contribute to drop-out rates.

“Think about the mental capacity that this kind of treatment leaves our children with. We are telling them we don't respect them. They leave that principal's office and they think, ‘they don't consider me as a human being,' ” says Doreen W., a Mississippi school board member interviewed by Human Rights Watch.
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...rnational/home

I personally don't want strangers spanking my children. I have children...and well, there are better ways to get things across than spanking. Especially in school. Its not that they shouldn't be punished but really...do spankings change anything? Maybe for some kids, some may need different discipline.

Whatcha think?
    "We've become a nation of strangers. There seems to be very little in common to bond us to our fellow Americans outside of our immediate families,some don't even have that to fall back on."

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    Saturday, June 12th, 2010 @ 07:23 PM
    Ethnicity
    Deitsch
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I agree. Some kids respond to spankings, etc. others just become resentful and need different ways of discipling. Depends on what the child reacts positively to.

I don't think anyone should be allowed to lay a hand on anyone else's child unless they're a family member or such trusted individual.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 23rd, 2009 @ 07:02 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Irish, Dutch, German
    Country
    United States United States
    Piecrust promises,easily broken
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    If anyone's going to do the spanking, if any, it's going to be me or my future husband. No one needs to lay a hand on my child for any reason whatsoever. If they do they'll have to answer to me. It wont be perdy. Also, if they have a problem with my (future) child take it up with me.. not the child. The parent should be held responsible for disciplinary action needed. School is for educational purposes. Certainly not to teach my kids to take abuse from strangers.

Last Online
    Wednesday, May 18th, 2016 @ 01:34 AM
    Ethnicity
    Acadian
    Country
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Politics
    Old Stock Nativism
    Religion
    Heathen Theosophy
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I wouldn't approve of anyone besides me or my immediate family spanking, much less paddling, my children. Also, I can hardly imagine this being done in high schools! At that point, corporal punishment has far outgrown its usefulness in a non-Judicial setting. We don't even use it at home very much anymore. I've found that making the kids do push ups and squats is far more effective and beneficial .
    "Ocean is more ancient than the mountains, and freighted with the memories and the dreams of Time."
    -H.P. Lovecraft

Last Online
    Tuesday, February 10th, 2009 @ 11:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Irish and French
    Ancestry
    Ireland, France
    Country
    State
    Oregon Oregon
    Family
    Widowed
    Occupation
    Homemaker
    Politics
    Liberal (I know, I'm a rarity)
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not that it's too old fashioned...

My husband and I choose not to spank as a form of discipline because we feel that it teaches children that you can solve disagreements through hitting other people, which is a rotten thing for a small child to believe. Talk about creating further disciplinary issues! Instead, we use time outs and "let's discuss" moments (i.e. "taking your sister's toy away is not okay because...") and it works quite well with our children.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    All this not hitting children nonsense is part and parcel of various intellectual trends in education and childrearing that are making my country unliveable, as youths run riot. Can anyone honestly believe that a small proportion of the world in the last few decades knows better than millenia of normal parents? I used to get a smacked arse now and then, and will give the same to my kids one day. And I'll probably end up getting a criminal record for it. Thanks, pathetic do-gooding fools.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7558560.stm
    Man arrested for hitting daughter
    Jess said she was sorry for getting her father into trouble
    (pic: MEN)
    A man who was arrested and cautioned for slapping his 13-year-old daughter across the face fears he will no longer be able to work with children.

Jim McCullough, of Manchester, hit Jess after she banged a neighbour's window at midnight, and she called the police.

He has now quit the football coaching and community work he has done for over 15 years, as the caution could stop him working with vulnerable children.

Account Disabled on Request

Last Online
    Thursday, May 28th, 2009 @ 03:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Bruenn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    ^ Story of the times, eh? Child grasses up her father to the police state because he infringed her rights.

She has learnt a lot in 13 years eyes:

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Tuesday, November 11th, 2008 @ 08:44 AM
    Subrace
    Faelid
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A father slapping his 13 year old daughter in the face is completely out of line and disrespectful. He deserves a punch in the face from someone his own size.

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Saturday, June 11th, 2016 @ 12:27 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    CM-Atlantidish
    Country
    England England
    State
    Lancashire Lancashire
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    British
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mischak View Post
    A father slapping his 13 year old daughter in the face is completely out of line and disrespectful. He deserves a punch in the face from someone his own size.
    She was terrorising an elderly woman. In the middle of the night. It wasn't the first time. She is clearly a hard faced little bitch, not a rare phenomenon these days and in this country, I'm afraid. Her father has obviously been too soft on her till now, and let her mix with other horrible little excuses for human beings, and on this occasion he must have been that horrified at what she'd been doing that he hit her.

Elderly people in this country, with the misfortune to have the wrong postcode have to suffer horrendous and unending abuse from cocky little bastards who deserve birching, never mind a smack off their parents. But the scum know the Law is on their side, and that they are invincible.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast