Politics
    Conservative
    Religion
    Lutheran/Pagan leanings...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Mother is German, her side immigrated from Oldenburg, Bremen, and Prussia.

Father is German, his side is from Bremen, Prussia, and a great great grandmother who was Swiss.

Both sides immigrated to the States in the 1800s

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Ancestry
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    310 Posts
    English, Dutch and British both by squaring genetics and genealogy...a lingering mystery now resolved.

I finally understand why part of my DNA comes up Celtic (but not Gaulish) despite a surname being of Italic origin. One of my great-grandmothers was from Canada, but going back before colonisation, her family was from near Nantes, the old Norman capital of Brittany. The rest of my DNA is resolutely Germanic, being English first and Dutch second, so it doesn't take a genius to figure why I plot as English between Dutch (Frisian) and Welsh (Breton) and that my next closest are Danish and Orcadian Scottish. I am ethnically, no different than the average English: majority Anglo-Saxon/minority Briton, with Dane and Norse heritage also evident. I'm not genetically French, but do have Frankish ancestry from Holland, lol.

It just so happens that the Dukes of Brittany used to own the Honour of Richmond, where my Viking ancestry is from, so this realisation is amusing, to come full circle, as the Britons were descended from the Belgæ. This analysis is partly taking me back to my readings of the Breton Civil War and of Maximilian taking Anne of Brittany to wife.

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 01:31 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    German/English
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New Jersey New Jersey
    Scorpio
    Occupation
    Paving/Construction
    Politics
    Republican
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    German/English. My first born will be German/English/Italian/Scottish

Funding Member
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    N/A
    Ancestry
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    310 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodskarl Dubhgall View Post
    English, Dutch and British both by squaring genetics and genealogy...a lingering mystery now resolved.

I finally understand why part of my DNA comes up Celtic (but not Gaulish) despite a surname being of Italic origin. One of my great-grandmothers was from Canada, but going back before colonisation, her family was from near Nantes, the old Norman capital of Brittany. The rest of my DNA is resolutely Germanic, being English first and Dutch second, so it doesn't take a genius to figure why I plot as English between Dutch (Frisian) and Welsh (Breton) and that my next closest are Danish and Orcadian Scottish. I am ethnically, no different than the average English: majority Anglo-Saxon/minority Briton, with Dane and Norse heritage also evident. I'm not genetically French, but do have Frankish ancestry from Holland, lol.
    It's embarrassing, but I will already walk this back as a flawed conclusion. I admit to confusing others as I've done myself.

On MyTrueAncestry, I don't have any genetically Mediterranean populations in my pie chart (I have seen examples of other customers including ancient Roman, Greek, Byzantine, etc.), only from Völkerwanderung Germanic tribal burials and also Celtic archæogenetics. I can honestly conclude that all my Continental ancestry is as Germanic as my Saxon and Viking ancestry and that includes Franks, Vandals, Goths (more Visigoth, less Ostrogoth), Langobards and Alemanni--in that order, so that my 20% Celtic must be from the Isles and my family tree says Ireland more recently and consistently than either Wales or Scotland, although this does include a cross-pollination by ancestral Protestant English landlords. Furthermore, part of the Irish aristocracy was Welsh, going back to Patrick, but followed by Strongbow, Gerald of Wales, the Tudors and so forth, so the exact origins may be a point of speculation. Some tests count my Viking ancestry as English and others separately, to determine my relationships with the two different origins as one or not.

MDLP K23b on Gedmatch lists English, Frisian, Belgian and Irish near the top rather than French, which is past Welsh down the list of approximates to rival Dutch, German and Norwegian, so I do presume Frankish (otherwise known from Holland) rather than Gaulish ancestry. Interestingly enough, Scottish is way down near Swedish and Danish on that list. Going by fractionate consensus, my family tree is from England, then Québec (New France), then Ireland, then New York (New Netherland), but on MDLP, it is shown in order as English, Frisian, Belgian (Frankish) and Irish (Gaelic), so that means I'm closest to the pre-Jacobean Anglo-Irish infrastructure (which included a claim to France) and their relationship with the Netherlands--Henry by Anne of Cleves, Mary by Philip II of Spain and Elizabeth by the Treaty of Nonsuch, or the Anglo-Burgundian alliance before them. No, I don't feel closer ethnically to the 'British' establishment since 1603/1707 that included Scots and Brunswickers, but my genes do fit the previous English establishment. Nevertheless, I've made efforts to adjust to those changes, with some reservations.

It's just as likely that a Scandinavian with a Biblical name like Johnson would be as Germanic as a Frenchman with a Roman surname like Lawrence would be Germanic, but it is true that those Med cultural influences cause confusion. In England, virtually everyone before 1066 had Germanic names--even the churchmen and such was mostly the case in Merovingian Francia (try Abelard and Ermengarde!). Etymology of names isn't the same as derivation of ancestry, nor is speaking a language necessarily evidence of genetics, as Germanic tribes caused different Romance languages to form in the wake of Latin. Also, a list of proximities in single genetic populations by order of relevance is due to autosomal combination and not exactly a listing of nation states in one's pie chart--close, but no cigar.

Like Norman Blood and Norman Pride, my Canadian ancestors all came from the environs of Normandy and Anjou; they were just as Germanic as Rollo's clan and the Plantagenets following, even if they all came to speak l'Oil as is still the case for Jersey and Guernsey in addition to English (hah, a premonition of Canadian bilingualism). This proves that English (especially East Anglians) have closer DNA to Continental Germanics across the North Sea than to the Insular Celts right next door. In this way, Celts would benefit most from Brexit and England from a Germanic Union with the Frankish, Teutonic and Scandinavian countries. It's maddening how a reversal of sentiments hurts the people involved, as voting against themselves, but thinking mostly they're just doing it to spite each other instead. In this, I am not exceptional, but perhaps a lemming like others and it's made me feel ashamed. I apologise for my own negativity in all that.

Last Online
    19 Hours Ago @ 04:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Nordid + Dalofaelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Germanic Nationalism
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    I am 100% German. So are my husband and children.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordic Angel For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    6 Hours Ago @ 05:40 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Germany
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Librarian
    Politics
    Conservative, nationalist
    Religion
    Anglican Church in North America
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    German and English. Husband is German and French.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emma of Normandy For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456