View Poll Results: What languages can you speak?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

88 94.62%
  • French

29 31.18%
  • German

52 55.91%
  • Other European language such as Welsh, Scots, Irish etc.

20 21.51%
  • Icelandic

2 2.15%
  • Swedish

11 11.83%
  • Norwegian

12 12.90%
  • Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

18 19.35%
  • Other

17 18.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2429303132333435 LastLast

Thread: How Many Languages Do You Speak?

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, January 8th, 2019 @ 09:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Mixed
    Ancestry
    A few things
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New York New York
    Student
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    English, German, and Russian. Swedish when I was much younger but not since my grandpa died.

Omnia in bonum
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    English and German
    Subrace
    Nordid + CM
    mtDNA
    K1c2
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    English, Finnish and Spanish. In Finnish, I tested at the intermediate level (B2) eleven years ago. I studied Spanish throughout junior high and high school, but it wasn't very practical, I suppose; we read a lot of medieval poetry and literature from El Siglo de Oro, which I relished nevertheless. For work purposes, I had to have a reading knowledge of the Scandinavian languages in two subject areas, but I really struggled with it. It certainly isn't easy for me!
    “She could never be a saint, but she thought she could be a martyr if they killed her quick.”
    ― Flannery O'Connor

Last Online
    2 Weeks Ago @ 06:42 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-Saxon-Celt
    Ancestry
    Irish, English, Scottish, German, French, Mi'kmaq
    Country
    Canada Canada
    Scorpio
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    maker of things
    Politics
    non-corruption for the people
    Religion
    Pantheism / Norse pagan / Taoism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    1/2 a language

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Thursday, January 10th, 2019 @ 02:03 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Denmark, Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    English and trying to learn Danish online. Slowly but surely.

Last Online
    4 Hours Ago @ 11:02 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Emmingen, Baden-Württemburg
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Baden-Wuerttemberg Baden-Wuerttemberg
    Taurus
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Retail Sales Management
    Politics
    Nationalsozialist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    313 Posts
    English and German, but my German sucks.
    American by birth, made of parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg.

Der Familie Rentz seit 1535 - Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Herr Rentz For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 03:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Herr Rentz.

From what I've seen you can usually get your point across

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 07:00 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Dutch, Low German & French
    Country
    United States United States
    Family
    Married parent
    Politics
    Free & Libertarian
    Religion
    Cultural Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    English is my mother language. I've studied German and can speak and understand it to a degree, but my lack of use has had its say. At some point I began studying Dutch, however I never got round to it, unfortunately... Maybe one of those days. I find the pronunciation quite difficult, however. French I've also studied for a bit but have forgotten most of it, also due to lack of use... so I wouldn't say that I speak it. I can understand some written French, however. So I guess I wouldn't call myself a polyglot, although many people say I already surpass the average American. We don't really need to learn other languages, but I'm not sure that it's something we should pride ourselves with...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Idis For This Useful Post:

Last Online
    1 Minute Ago @ 03:37 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,361 Posts
    My son is trying to get me speaking Spanish but it isn't really going in

I've just realised it's a lot harder to learn new languages at 60+ than it is when you're younger and also, I don't really have the motivation

One with Nature
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Daco-Germanic
    Ancestry
    Daci, Suebi, Carpi
    Subrace
    Pontid/Baltid/Dinarid
    Single adult
    Politics
    Völkisch
    Religion
    Heidin
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaxonPagan View Post
    I've just realised it's a lot harder to learn new languages at 60+ than it is when you're younger and also, I don't really have the motivation
    Oh, and I thought it was good to learn new languages also at 60+, at least this is what I read in some places... Hmmm, try another language then! Maybe you'll find it more interesting and you'll be more motivated...

Like... a Scandinavian language, for example!

I attended very few Spanish classes too when I was in primary school, but I didn't like the language, so I simply quit the course. It was a facultative course anyway... some of my colleagues were very interested in learning Spanish, but I was not. Bleah! So I don't read and speak any Spanish, and far from me the thought to learn Spanish...

I studied French because it was compulsory... I was good at it, and I still have very good reading skills... but since I didn't practice it for many years, I can't speak it! Also, I don't like French language and I have no interest in speaking it. But I find it very useful to be able to read in French...

Italian... I started to learn Italian as a kid, also because I was watching Italian television in Romania... and because it's easy for native speakers of Romanian to learn Italian... I was speaking a little bit of Italian too... but I didn't go further with learning Italian, so...

Japanese... I also started to learn Japanese, mainly because of the anime I was watching as a kid. I was and still am very interested in Japanese culture, and also in their language, why not? I can understand a bit of Japanese, and I know some basic things to say in Japanese, but I don't know the alphabet and I wouldn't say that I can really speak Japanese...

The languages in which I can actually speak (not only beginner level) are three: English (well, I am writing this in English, right? ), Romanian (the same as Moldavian language, even though some idiots are saying they are different languages), Norwegian (but still learning).

Besides Norwegian, I can also understand some Swedish (easier than some Norwegian dialects, honestly!) and some Danish (written Danish, mainly, spoken not so much yet)... The best part of learning Norwegian is that you actually get to learn Swedish and Danish too, with or without realizing it...

Well, Swedish grammar is more different, but Danish and Norwegian as written languages are very similar (at some literature festival someone even asked a Norwegian author who was translated into Danish if it was not waste of money to translate her books from Norwegian to Danish, since those two languages are so similar... Of course, we mean bokmål Norwegian, here, since there is also nynorsk... and of course also lots of Norwegian dialects...)

So... on long term I am aiming at being able to speak, fluently, besides Norwegian, also Swedish... Danish, sounds a bit harsher, so... hmmm... I guess I could find my way in Denmark also if speaking Norwegian so...

Icelandic... I also began to learn Icelandic at some point... but I will leave it for later... I also want to learn Old Norse... but I won't be able to say that I can speak it (just a couple of guys there who try to reconstruct the pronounciation, but I am not going to do that)...

And, of course... German... I have some knowledge of German language too (and it helped me a lot with learning Norwegian), but when trying to speak German... I don't know why I speak mostly Norwegian! So... I still have to work on my German, but later... It's the language of my ancestors after all, and recent ancestors spoke it... so I have enough motivation to improve my German also when I'll be 60+, I hope...

So... at the moment... I can say that I am multilingual/ trilingual? ... even though there is still place for improvement...
    Die Farben duften frisch und grün... Lieblich haucht der Wind um mich.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Transylvanian Saxon
    Subrace
    Alpinid/Baltid
    State
    Transylvania Transylvania
    Family
    Married
    Politics
    Ethno-Cultural
    Religion
    Lutheran
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Víðálfr View Post
    Italian... I started to learn Italian as a kid, also because I was watching Italian television in Romania... and because it's easy for native speakers of Romanian to learn Italian... I was speaking a little bit of Italian too... but I didn't go further with learning Italian, so...
    Interesting, I've heard the same thing from other Romanian speakers but I could never identify with it myself, even though I can speak Romanian at native level. In fact, for me it was the reverse, I can understand Spanish (my mother/friends were watching telenovelas ) much better than Italian, for example I could watch a Spanish film without subtitles and understand most of it, but I couldn't understand an Italian one without subtitles... this even despite that I've studied Latin for most of my schooling. Maybe I just don't have an "ear" for Italian language.

Anyway, as to the topic: languages I can speak on a fluent level are German and Romanian (as mother languages) and English. I can speak and understand some French as well but I've not practiced it on a regular level as I do with those other languages so I don't say I'm fluent in it. Fluency is defined as being able to speak and write quickly or easily in a given language (it comes from the Latin word fluentem = to flow). If I had to speak French nowadays, my words wouldn't exactly flow but I'd have to stop and think what was the word for this and what's a better word for that, and so on. If I had to converse in French with a native Frenchman, who would speak quickly, I'd have to get my dictionary ready. So it depends what is defined by "speak" in the poll? Beginner's level? Intermediate? Native or near native level? Or fluency, which doesn't necessarily mean speaking like a native, you can be fluent in a language but speak it with a heavy accent, or not be familiar with some words, but still be able to explain in that language the concept of what you mean.