View Poll Results: What languages can you speak?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

88 94.62%
  • French

29 31.18%
  • German

52 55.91%
  • Other European language such as Welsh, Scots, Irish etc.

20 21.51%
  • Icelandic

2 2.15%
  • Swedish

11 11.83%
  • Norwegian

12 12.90%
  • Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

18 19.35%
  • Other

17 18.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 232829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: How Many Languages Do You Speak?

Last Online
    8 Hours Ago @ 03:44 PM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Þoreiðar View Post
    Interesting fella. http://speakfromday1.com/tedx/

Thanks for the recommendation!
    Tim Ferriss has some good advice on learning languages as well.
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...-plus-a-favor/
    http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...ning-language/

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    liberal in spirit not politics
    Religion
    Questioning
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can speak English.
    I can butcher badly German, Welsh.
    I can understand simple Russian, French, Old English, Scandinavian Languages.

Grand Member
    Last Online
    3 Weeks Ago @ 04:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    English, Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    Aries
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Free Speech / Anti-EU
    Religion
    Pagan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,392 Posts
    Hey, Theo!

I've just spent almost an hour on that Tim Ferriss site you linked to and it's quite fascinating (but way beyond me at this time of night ) Got it bookmarked though and will try again tomorrow

Ablutive, where did you learn all that lot then?

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 01:59 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    England
    Subrace
    Don't know
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    liberal in spirit not politics
    Religion
    Questioning
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Godwinson View Post
    Hey, Theo!

I've just spent almost an hour on that Tim Ferriss site you linked to and it's quite fascinating (but way beyond me at this time of night ) Got it bookmarked though and will try again tomorrow

Ablutive, where did you learn all that lot then?
    Well, as I said, I butcher the ones I speak and only understand simple stuff of the others.

But German I took in school until I was kicked out for making a joke to a teacher who unfortunatly had not been blessed with a sense of humour. I took it again in night classes several times and went to rural Austria for a few weeks by myself in order to practice it (and thus learned I could just about make myself understood in practical matters but not really in abstract ones although with concentration I can read about abstract matters in German).

I also took night classes in Russian due to my brief foray into orthodoxy.

Welsh was forced upon me in school, I was deeply resentful of being made to go to the Welsh school because I felt that I would not be able to show off how smart I foolishly believed I was there, of course the truth is if I were truly so smart I would be able to adapt to it, unfortunatly I was immature and resisted Welsh with all my strength and only really picked up a smattering (but my comprehension as opposed to production of Welsh is surprisingly good considering I hated it and resisted learning it with all my might).

French I took in school but only remember enough to understand basic conversation about mundane things and I can't prounounce a word of it. Old English I am teaching myself out of interest, I am getting the hang of reading the texts slowly. I lived in Norway for a short time as a child (dad works in the oil industry, in fact he still works for Det Norsk Veritas notionally) but again my understanding is of basics and really not worth boasting of, Swedish seems close enough that what I understand of Norwegian is not hard to pick up the gist of and to a degree Danish too but perhaps drawing more on other knowledge of languages in general there.

One day I'd like a non-indo european language but I can't decide on one and I don't want to spread myself any thinner than I have already (although the majority of the languages I've been exposed to being from one family helps A LOT with learning them, each new language makes all the old ones somehow more familiar).

Last Online
    Saturday, August 25th, 2012 @ 03:47 PM
    Ethnicity
    Danish
    Ancestry
    Danish
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Unemployed
    Politics
    Nationalist, conservative
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ablutive View Post
    Well, as I said, I butcher the ones I speak and only understand simple stuff of the others.

But German I took in school until I was kicked out for making a joke to a teacher who unfortunatly had not been blessed with a sense of humour. I took it again in night classes several times and went to rural Austria for a few weeks by myself in order to practice it (and thus learned I could just about make myself understood in practical matters but not really in abstract ones although with concentration I can read about abstract matters in German).

I also took night classes in Russian due to my brief foray into orthodoxy.

Welsh was forced upon me in school, I was deeply resentful of being made to go to the Welsh school because I felt that I would not be able to show off how smart I foolishly believed I was there, of course the truth is if I were truly so smart I would be able to adapt to it, unfortunatly I was immature and resisted Welsh with all my strength and only really picked up a smattering (but my comprehension as opposed to production of Welsh is surprisingly good considering I hated it and resisted learning it with all my might).

French I took in school but only remember enough to understand basic conversation about mundane things and I can't prounounce a word of it. Old English I am teaching myself out of interest, I am getting the hang of reading the texts slowly. I lived in Norway for a short time as a child (dad works in the oil industry, in fact he still works for Det Norsk Veritas notionally) but again my understanding is of basics and really not worth boasting of, Swedish seems close enough that what I understand of Norwegian is not hard to pick up the gist of and to a degree Danish too but perhaps drawing more on other knowledge of languages in general there.

One day I'd like a non-indo european language but I can't decide on one and I don't want to spread myself any thinner than I have already (although the majority of the languages I've been exposed to being from one family helps A LOT with learning them, each new language makes all the old ones somehow more familiar).
    A rather impressive polyglot background to have. Even though some of your languages might be superficially similar then I still hold that every language is worthy effort. The similarities between Norwegian, Danish and Swedish are handy, but they are worth very little if one does not also use them.

Last Online
    Friday, August 10th, 2012 @ 01:30 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Self Employed
    Politics
    Saving our Folk!
    Religion
    Folkish Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I speak English, Dutch, and Spanish.
    Why are you just sitting there?!
    Do something!
    Our Folk are vanishing!

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    1 Day Ago @ 12:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Western
    Country
    Other Other
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I've taken four years of German in high school, a language which comes naturally to me. Though I'm not entirely fluent, and a bit rusty after about seven years (yikes), I'm fairly confident I could make my way around any German speaking country.

Now I've endeavored to learn French. I've always been fascinated by the language, very beautiful in most cases imo. Some of my favorite bands come from France, and a bit of my ancestry as well. Should come in handy when I one day make a grand tour of Europe in the coming reconquista
    If any Francophone Skadites have any suggestions or resources I'd love to know.

Last Online
    Sunday, March 12th, 2017 @ 10:44 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Thuringia Thuringia
    Cancer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    German, English, French, Russian

I forgot most of what I learned in school when it comes to French and Russian tho.

Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    2 Days Ago @ 05:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Germans, Hungarians, Slavs
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Holy Roman Empire Holy Roman Empire
    Democratic National-Conservativ
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    1.I speak Standard German with Danube Swabian impact, that is obivious why.
    2. I speak Hungarian, first all, this is the language of my enviroment here Budapest, second of all in the Basic School, the High School and the University I learnt in Hungarian, hence my Hungarian better and more sophisticated than my Kitchen German.
    3. I speak English like as speak on this board.

"Remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God, you cannot say, "But I was told by others to do thus,"or that virtue "was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice."
    /King Baldwin IV in the Kingdom of Heaven/

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Wednesday, July 11th, 2018 @ 06:09 AM
    Ethnicity
    Ethnicity
    Ancestry
    Ancestry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    I took both French and Latin, but while I can speak a phrase and write declensions, I'm only really able to read those languages on paper. I don't understand them spoken. On the other hand, when I write and speak Germanic tongues, I'm able to understand what I am saying when I do--I'm conscious about the message on a word for word basis. I say this only having a Swedish translation manual, but Teutonic voices sound like music to my ears.

I'm able to detect toponym vocabulary in Finnish and Estonian, Romance in general, but also Greek and even Indian toponyms. Some Balto-Slavic names seem to be loanwords from Germanic, like "Grad" (Garth) and "Vlad" (Walt) and "Mir" (Mer). Don't forget the name for king comes from Karl. Generally, West Slavic looks like chicken scratch and Cyrillic looks like garbled Greek.