Mediterranid
    Country
    Greenland Greenland
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'm heathen (I think I am) because I totally reject these Abrahamic religions. Their god is twisted tyrant and its followers are blind and a good chunk of them are violent and cause way too many problems in this world. The morals in these religions are really twisted too, as is how every natural thing is seemingly sinful. I'm not going to fake who I am to suit some magical figure who has never shown one scrap of proof that it exists.

I'm heathen because I completely identify with the official meaning of it when I looked it up. I'm heathen because I'm not like a typical modern atheist. They also seem too closed to me. I love nature and I feel calm and happy whenever I'm in a forest. I read about the history of my peoples before Christianity came along and it seems a way better lifestyle. Someone here posted that life was a lot less troublesome then and I agree. I'm all for tradition, simplicity, all that. I think I see that in heathenism.

As for worshiping gods... yes and no. Yes I think that much can be learned from reading the exploits of the various gods, morals to be learned, virtues that we should try carry in life but, no, I don't really believe they exist. No proof.

Yeah these may be the wrong reasons to call myself heathen but so be it.
    Last edited by xamarth; Sunday, February 7th, 2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: ...

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, January 6th, 2011 @ 12:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Belgium, Germany, Norway, Scottland, Romania, Italy
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    New Jersey New Jersey
    Single adult
    Occupation
    firefighter
    Politics
    tribalist
    Religion
    asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how i ended up on a heathen path

im reluctant to share my experiences on this subject. ive had very bad experiences with telling others about my visions/dreams/spirit journey's on the computer.

however,there is one i dont mind talking about,because although it isnt specific to anything,it was the catalyst for me traveling a much different path in my life.

the first part is going to be hard for some to believe,but theres nothing i can do about that.

i am a lightning strike survivor. my father,and both of his sisters are also. his father(my grandfather)is too.

grandpa got struck while climbing a tree when he was young,dad was struck in a drive in theatre parking lot at 17,aunt karen got struck in the house,watching a storm in the window,and aunt wilma got a secondary hit from lightning striking her trailer on my families carnival,while she was opening the door.

mine was at 14,running into the house from our car,in a storm. i grabbed the railing,tp quickly propel myself up the stairs,and its the last thing i remember. my mother got to witness a flash of light,and crack and boom,and her son(me)flying lifeless through the air,and landing on the other side of the car.

my heart had stopped,and the medics got there fast enough to bring me back,but my heart stopped again,and i was resusitated in the er. my heart didn't stop again(which is a good thing because the third time would have required an internal application around the heart).

the estimated time that i was not breathing,and had no heart function,befor the medics got to my house,was appx. 3 minutes(even though mom was doing cpr and at least getting some kind of oxygen into me.

this was the beginning of my journey. i found myself in a daze,but i was aware. i began to walk forward into mist,but i could not feel the ground. i didn't see a light ahead,or a tunnel,but more like a glow.
    through the haze,a very tall woman appeared befor me,and was smiling,and just looked at me. i tried to speak,but she put her finger over her mouth,as to signal me not to speak.
    i then felt a hand grip my right shoulder. not an ordinary hand though. it felt very large,like to an extreme,spanning my chest,squeezing me.......it was painful. it rendered me immobile. i couldn't talk or move or anything. the women came closer,and peered down into my eyes..........she calmed me.
    i then heard a deep mans voice,tell me that there were 3 things i will be told.

voice:''you are on the wrong path'' ''the religion you follow is not yours'' and '' the god you put your trust in,is not your god''

as soon as the words ceased,the grip loosened,the pain subsided,and the woman began to fade away.
    befor she faded completely,the same voice said ''follow your instincts,find your way,dont be a follower,seek knowledge...truth''

i woke up in the hospital,and my life was changed,my spirituality was gone,all the thank you jesus's i heard,and praise god,and mary and st.joeseph and all that crap,went in one ear and right out the other.

it took me 5 years,but i found germanic heathenry,through some trial and error,dabbling in wicca,celtic druidism,and scottish gypsy rummachill.

13 years later,here i am,in my current state.

Aka Devadatta
    Last Online
    Thursday, July 5th, 2012 @ 02:00 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for that, did any of your family also experience something akin to what you did?

Account Inactive

Last Online
    Thursday, January 6th, 2011 @ 12:57 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Belgium, Germany, Norway, Scottland, Romania, Italy
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    New Jersey New Jersey
    Single adult
    Occupation
    firefighter
    Politics
    tribalist
    Religion
    asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    no,i was the only one in family that i know of,although my great grandmother on my fathers scottish/norweigan side,was a real psychic,and could do telekinesis. she also had one eye.

Last Online
    Monday, July 16th, 2012 @ 01:14 AM
    Ethnicity
    CeltoGermanic
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Tree Wizard
    Religion
    Wotanist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    And, to think, I have the same to say..

Quote Originally Posted by Lyfing View Post
    Oh and I'm Heathen because one must be kidding me. These religions of today do in no way suit me. They are full of not so good ideas of morality. The most nasty of all is their idea of no solidarity withing a group as if welcome to all. I find rights lacking. Earn your keep. lest someone else pick up your slack,..? How ever will we rekindle our great spirit..? Can these stories of old work for us..? They do for me..? Need we new ones fashioned after popular culture or what..? Is it not nasty..?/ Are cycles of nature not appreciated any more..? What of this fall right now..?/ Ain't the tree perty..? Dying now will they not be reborn like Yggrdrasil after the Fimbulwinter..? Is there any any hope there yet that the next generation of even our own will be the same..??
    ..after all it's darned near fall agian..??

Everybody is just trying to deal with life..some repent their sins and go to Heaven..others end up in Valhalla..

..I wonder about them sometimes..??

Later,
    -Lyfing

Last Online
    Saturday, April 23rd, 2011 @ 05:26 AM
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    Germany, England, Scotland
    Country
    State
    California California
    Conservative Libertarian
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    For me it started out with Greco-Roman paganism at a very young age as I was ignorant of Germanic religion. I was torn because I was raised Christian and was devout but began to ponder my faith and why there where so many holes in its logic especially original sin. I began learning about the Classical world and felt sad that gods and heroes and temples and ancient rites had been abandoned and admired Classical values over the values that I saw in the modern world. I had also been very interested in geneaology.

There was also an incident when I was very young when I sat down and looked at some of the trees by my house and went into some type of trance state while gazing at them and listening to their leaves in the wind. I felt extremely calm and happy, the best I can describe it is holy communion. I have on occaison experienced similar states of mind in nature since then but none as intense.

I became a 'proper' Asatru heathen my junior year in highschool. I was reading The Wheel of Time novels and really liked the character Matt Cauthon for some reason, he just resonated with me. So I did some research online and learned that he was partially based on some Norse god named Odin. So I researched Odin and the rest is history, Odin inspired me to learn everything I could about my ancestors whom I realized wheren't primitive savages but as admirable as the Greeks and Romans, and most importantly, MY people and not another.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. -Hamlet

On the heights, the paths are paved with daggers. -The Wheel of Time

Proffessional Hickerbilly
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    American of German decent
    Ancestry
    Bavaria/Switzerland
    Country
    Other Other
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Kunstschmiede
    Politics
    Self-Reliance
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    630 Posts
    For me it was a long journey. I started questioning Christianity and monotheism at a early age. I even talked to priest about this in my early teens. Of course he put up what seemed like good advice at the time. I began reading the bible at first things made sense then it started to contradict itself. In my early twenties I dropped monotheism altogether.

I spend a lot of time in nature and things started to become a little more clear to as time went on. It is little simple things as why things happen nature. The death and rebirth of the seasons is one example of this.

I always read about the old gods and goddesses. It was not until recently that I fully put them into aspects of them being part of nature.
    Life is like a fire hydrant- sometimes you help people put out their fires, but most of the time you just get peed on by every dog in the neighborhood.

Last Online
    Friday, June 22nd, 2012 @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    English, Dutch.
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Montana Montana
    Single adult
    Occupation
    laboer
    Politics
    n/a
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I grew up Christian (After I became Heathen, I regretted not growing up as one), It always felt like a shirt that was 2 sizes too small, and on backward. I would sit in church, and listen to the priest talk about being called to preach,I was scared that I would be called, and scared to death (Pardon the pun) of dieing. After becoming Asatru, I want to join the clergy program, and no longer have a fear of death. So I guess you can say this shirt fits.
    Last edited by Ulfvaldr; Tuesday, November 23rd, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
    The coward believes he will live forever
    If he holds back in the battle,
    But in old age he shall have no peace
    Though spears have spared his limbs

Last Online
    Friday, January 14th, 2011 @ 09:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Ancestry
    The Netherlands / Scandinavia
    Country
    Canada Canada
    State
    Ontario Ontario
    Youth
    Occupation
    Recording Artist
    Politics
    Green Party
    Religion
    Forn Siðr / Druidry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I grew up in a pretty strict christian family. You know, prayer before every meal, prayer before bed, church every Sunday. As a child I never really understood this God of peace and love, who would destroy and cause pain to his followers. I would always rather walk through the forest and climb trees than sit in those uncomfortable pews. But, not knowing of any alternatives, I followed Christianity, and with no small amount of dedication. But as I grew into my teenager years, things would change.

I eventually found out about Wicca, witch opened the doors to all the other religions of the world. I dabbled in Wicca for a while, but continued to grow in discontent over the philosophy that I could not quite swallow. Why is Thor the same deity as Jove? What's the point of including individual gods if they're all just one big god and goddess? So I became a general pagan for a while, trying to find my path. When I did research into my ancestry, I stumbled upon Asatru. It sounded perfect, and so I decided that is was the path for me. It took 3 or 4 months of back and forth from wicca to heathenry to finally break my addiction to wicca. Now I follow the ways of my ancestors, and give a shout out to my celtic ancestors by practicing a very personal form of druidry.

As to why I am heathen? It just makes sense. My ancestors did this. The virtues actually make sense. I love the Gods. I love the Landvaettir. It's my path, and it will always be so.

Last Online
    Wednesday, November 30th, 2011 @ 11:54 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Germanic American
    Ancestry
    Germany (1/4), Norway (1/4), Scotland (1/8), ? (3/8)
    Subrace
    Alpinid
    Country
    State
    Washington Washington
    Youth
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Conservitive
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Is it too vague to say that it feels right? Grew up in a Catholic family but by the umpteenth time I pointed out a contradiction and essentially told that it must be correct because god said so and that I should quite questioning god I knew it wasn't for me. After several years of being agnostic/atheist I realized that my entire life, I had been being led towards the old ways. I when I finally realized it, reached my spiritual destination, it felt right.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast