Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Ever Happened to Norse Scotland?

Last Online
    Monday, May 30th, 2011 @ 09:36 PM
    Ethnicity
    Cohee
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Pennsylvania Pennsylvania
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    electrical engineer
    Politics
    immoderate
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What ever happened to Norse Scotland? What’s up with the mass population viewing the Scots as a whole as being Celtic? It is sickening that people (especially in the former colonies) do not understand that the Celtic influence in Scotland is only a contributing factor.
    The ideology of nationalism is to blame for a great deal of it.

Last Online
    Sunday, May 24th, 2009 @ 06:39 PM
    Ethnicity
    Norway (P) + Scotland (PM) + Austria (MP + MM) + Swabia (MP) + Prussia (MM)
    Subrace
    Nordid-Atlantid and Bruenn
    Country
    Other Other
    Family
    Single adult
    Occupation
    Student
    Politics
    Paleo-Liberalism
    Religion
    AGNOS/Athiest
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I had the impression that Scotsman were dark haired and/or red hair, with the smallest minority being blond hair.

At least traveling to Scotland com firmed this for me. I was shocked at how blond the English (especially the kids) were, but going into Scotland you start to see everyone with fairly dark hair

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Sunday, February 12th, 2012 @ 04:38 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    Scottish
    Ancestry
    Irish, Norse.
    Subrace
    Keltic-Nordid
    Country
    Scotland Scotland
    In a relationship
    Occupation
    Checkout operator, Morrisons
    Politics
    Nationalist
    Religion
    Heathen
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    We were never Nordic. Scots were indigenous to Scotland. Then we were invaded by the Vikings, who mixed the bloodlines up after forcing scotswomen into bed, if you catch my drift.
    The Celts were fae Ireland.
    Like I said, we were never Nordic.
    No offense intended, that is just what my research has told me.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 @ 09:48 AM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Northern European
    Ancestry
    Scotland,Norway,Finland,Denmark etc.
    Subrace
    Need to figure it out.
    Country
    State
    Rhode Island Rhode Island
    Family
    Single adult
    Politics
    Moderate.
    Religion
    Presbyterian/ now Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thank you , finally someone addressed this issue. There are many Norse Scots still around mostly in the north...there are many more than one would think. Not all Scots look similar there are many different types..or looks..They are all in Orkney lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatest View Post
    I had the impression that Scotsman were dark haired and/or red hair, with the smallest minority being blond hair.

At least traveling to Scotland com firmed this for me. I was shocked at how blond the English (especially the kids) were, but going into Scotland you start to see everyone with fairly dark hair
    We're you visiting the lowlands of Scotland, there is a fairly high dark hair , dark eyed population.

Drive up to inverness, ullapool..

take the ferry to Skye and Orkney..they are so viking/norse looking it is unbelievable. Low lander Scots and Higlander scots are like apples and oranges..didn't mean to make that sound so lame.

Last Online
    Monday, September 3rd, 2018 @ 03:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Netherlands, Belgium
    Country
    State
    Utah Utah
    Happy
    Occupation
    Teacher
    Politics
    Liberal
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ægir View Post
    What ever happened to Norse Scotland? What’s up with the mass population viewing the Scots as a whole as being Celtic? It is sickening that people (especially in the former colonies) do not understand that the Celtic influence in Scotland is only a contributing factor. In the western isles for example where the greatest claim of Celtic ethnicity exists there is a huge reservoir of Norse blood. Some family liens such as the Clan MacLeod and Gunn (amongst others) are primarily descended form the Norse. Even the Celtic Clan Donald which for the longest time claimed decent form the old high kings of Ireland have recently through DNA been proven to be of Norwegian origin for the lines of their chiefs. Much of the Highlands and Islands were under Norwegian political control during the Viking age and even after the Viking age the lords of the isles still went to court in Norway instead of in mainland Scotland.
    In the lowlands there is even more Germanic influence with a great deal of the population tracing decent form Anglo-Saxon blood lines and later Norman. The Scottish brogue which is so famously “Celtic” is developed out of the Scots language which is of Germanic stock and is very similar to older forms of English.
    Granted the Gaelic Celts did contribute greatly to Scottish society, but so did Britons and Picts. Why is it though that these groups always get remembered but the Germanic ones do not?
    Norse blood is strongest in the islands like Orkneys, Shetlands, the area around Durness where 60% of the Y-DNA is Norse! In the Herbrides, about 30% of the Y-DNA is Norse too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatest View Post

Depending by what is meant by "small minority", depending where you go as well in Scotland. The majority of Scottish have light brown hair, while dark brown shades are common. Overall, 26% of the Scottish are blond-haired, though throughout the country, the variation range is 19.1% - 36%. Red hair depending on the definition ranges from 10% - 20%. The smallest minority however is those who are black-haired.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12