Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aelakhais.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Grin How does English sound?

I have always wanted to hear someone whose first language is not English, "do an impression" of the way English sounds to them. English speakers enjoy making fun of other languages, most often German, Scandinavian languages, and East Asian languages.

I want to hear what English sounds like to all you other people (sarcasm).

Don't worry about trying to make sense. The less English you know, the better! Imitations of the sound of American English, especially southern accents would be most appreciated. If you can't record your voice, or are simply uncomfortable doing so, then try to imitate in writing. I was going to put this in the Linguistics section, but I put it here because the subject is decidedly unintellectual, and I suspect that this thread will become very silly in a short period of time.
    -Hyge sceal e heardre, heorte e cnre, md sceal e mre, re mgen lytla. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Keeps your Whites Whiter.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    SkandoNordid/Nordicised Faelid
    Pan-Germanic MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Re: How does English sound?

Quote Originally Posted by Theudiskaz View Post
    I have always wanted to hear someone whose first language is not English, "do an impression" of the way English sounds to them. English speakers enjoy making fun of other languages, most often German, Scandinavian languages, and East Asian languages.

I want to hear what English sounds like to all you other people (sarcasm).

...If you can't record your voice, ...
    Ahhhhhhhhhh the irony. I was going to make a thread of "post samples of your voice here" but I'm about the furthest thing away from a tech. wizard as it gets, and I have no idea how to record and then post that recording to Skadi. I know some people I could ask, but they ask too many damn questions. In fact I've written an acoustic guitar piece entitled "Skadi" that I would love to post as well.

How does one go about recording and posting voices, anyway?

Great idea Theudiskaz!
    "...The moral man is a lower species than the immoral, a weaker species; indeed - he is a type in regard to morality, but not a type in himself; a copy...the measure of his value lies outside him. ... I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage; I do not account the evil and painful character of existence a reproach to it, but hope rather that it will one day be more evil and painful than hitherto..." (Nietzsche)

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 5th, 2011 @ 02:23 PM
    Status
    Brief Absence
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Paleo-Atlantid
    Country
    France France
    Family
    In a steady relationship
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

English sounds good. And for some reason I can't explain, I tend to understand better Americans than Englishmen in a conversation.

My (spoken) English is definitely not good enough to make a difference between every English speakers (first tongue, wherever they're from etc).

I'm always impressed in meeting Scandinavians or Dutch, they can tell me that English is their native tongue, I'd believe them. An effort has been done there.
    Atlas

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 01:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aelakhais.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Actually, there is a thread entitled Skadi voices.
    http://forums.skadi.net/skadi_voices...t=skadi+voices
    I posted a recording of my voice, but took it down after a while because I'm becoming more paranoid about putting up recordings of my voice etc. on the internet. (Yeah I know it's kind'a hypocritical, but I may put it up again.)

I'm no tech wizard either, but I know you need a microphone (I have also heard that it can be done somehow with earphones.) I don't know what program you would save it on. But when uploading the file, you would use your manage attachments tool.
    -Hyge sceal e heardre, heorte e cnre, md sceal e mre, re mgen lytla. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2007 @ 11:35 PM
    Subrace
    West baltid
    Country
    Lithuania Lithuania
    Single, looking
    Politics
    pannationalism
    Religion
    paganism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Grin Re: How does English sound?

Sounds, like speaker is lisping ans has potato in his mouth

Keeps your Whites Whiter.
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Subrace
    SkandoNordid/Nordicised Faelid
    Pan-Germanic MeritAristocracy
    Religion
    Heiinn
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Actually, there is a thread entitled Skadi voices.
    http://forums.skadi.net/skadi_voices...t=skadi+voices
    Oh!: I'll make some time to listen to those today: its always interesting to see if the actual voice matches the one the mind creates.

I posted a recording of my voice, but took it down after a while because I'm becoming more paranoid about putting up recordings of my voice etc. on the internet. (Yeah I know it's kind'a hypocritical, but I may put it up again.)
    You've every right to your 'paranoia', to be frank: what with all of the illegal activity of the FBI and NSA lately. I'm just happy that Skadi is not a place that engages in radical/terrorist activities/logistics; therefore giving anyone here little to worry about relative to the bigger fish out there to fry.

I think English is quite beautiful, actually. The mesh with/incorporation of Latin seems seemless; whereas if there were an abundance of Russian it would be quite monsterous.

Dialects and accents are interesting to me. I am still surprised as to how little accentual/phonetic variation there is in the states - especially considering the variation still alive and well in places like the British Isles: there is a deep continuity to the language in America that doesn't exist anywhere else.

A sort of funny anecdote: I lived in Memphis TN (the Cordova area) for a year some time ago, and noticed that whenever women gossiped about one another, they would begin by saying: "That beeitch, blays her hahrt..."
    "...The moral man is a lower species than the immoral, a weaker species; indeed - he is a type in regard to morality, but not a type in himself; a copy...the measure of his value lies outside him. ... I assess the power of a will by how much resistance, pain, torture it endures and knows how to turn to its advantage; I do not account the evil and painful character of existence a reproach to it, but hope rather that it will one day be more evil and painful than hitherto..." (Nietzsche)

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2007 @ 09:01 AM
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Pontid
    Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Religion
    Slavic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every nation likes to make fun of other languages, this is not unique to you english speakers

But you just might derive more enjoyment from it (as a people, not speaking of anyone specifically) because people with english for their mother tongue learn less foreign languages than others and are thus in less exposed to them; but when they are, the contrast is all the more intense.

We in slovenia often make fun of italian, french, hungarian, ..., but never of german or english - we are way too familiar with that from school. We do make fun of dialects, though, like hardcore southern speech or the rednecks, aussies, scots, irish or Ian Wright (from the Globe Trekker show )

What I personally find extremely funny, however, is the english (and german, to an extent) being almost completely unable to pronounce phonems not native to their tongue. English has a particularly specialized (one might even say poor) phonetic scheme, which is coupled with silly spelling (slavic languages use same letters for same sounds, for example, english - like french, only to a lesser degree - doesn't; think JB Shaw's "ghoti" - "fish"). That leaves the english at a great loss when learning foreign languages, and us with a lot to laugh about

Also, something you probably didn't intend to ask but it came to my mind - a lot of people here, especially the more sensible ones, connect american english with junk culture. So when I hear american english, I can't help but think "another braindead consumer" - it's the movies and stupid reality shows that do that, and it's not just me. It makes english sound "cheap", really.

Last Online
    Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 @ 06:56 PM
    Ethnicity
    Celtogermanic
    Ancestry
    England, France, Germany, Ireland, Scottish, Switzerland, Wales
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    North Carolina North Carolina
    Family
    Single adult
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The less English you know, the better!
    Yet enough english to be able to read the request...
    mtDNA - H_7_a (ftDNA) H_7_a_1 (23andme)
    AbDNA - 100% Eur. 23andme: 99.99% Eur., .01% Af.
    23andme: 99.73% European, .27% African
    23andme V3 update awaiting use, got a kit for mom too.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 01:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aelakhais.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

But I don't want to hear you speak English, I want to hear mock English! Speak jibberish English, in a way that stresses the pecular sounds of the language. I'm sure you have made fun of Chinese before. Do it with English!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvcuGbIZoKs
    I want you to do what the same thing this guy is talking about.