Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Martial Art Against Multiple Attackers?

Last Online
    Thursday, September 11th, 2008 @ 09:35 PM
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by :hve­rungur: View Post
    Muay Thai is destructive but so is Kyokushinkai Karate, it all depends on the people who are using it. Andy Hug in his prime beat many of the worlds best Muay Thai fighters in K-1, same with Francisco Filho. I don't believe there is one ultimate fighting style, only styles suited to specific people.

I agree. There is no one specific martial art. You should find the one who adapt most to your body, style, personality etc.....

I practice Boxing (2 years), and i know enough wrestling principles.

Question : in your personal experience, what kind of Personality/attitude and phisic charachteristic adapts better to Kyokushin practice and what personality/attitude and physical charachteristic fits well with THAI practice ?

Naturbursche
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 10:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'm interessted in Muay-Thai - but i decided to get more muscles before i try this out.

Else i'm just experienced in usual german boxing/fighting.

Gru▀,
    Boche

Last Online
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boche View Post
    I'm interessted in Muay-Thai - but i decided to get more muscles before i try this out.

grow up, then ! you need a muscluar armour to start THAI.......i know well...

Would be ? some kind of "street" fight ?

Gru▀,
    Boche[/QUOTE]

Naturbursche
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Wednesday, December 24th, 2008 @ 10:35 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    grow up, then ! you need a muscluar armour to start THAI.......i know well...
    I'm on my way since a few months. But due to chronical disease it takes longer for me, hehe.

Would be ? some kind of "street" fight ?

Nothing exciting - usual Street/Pubfights - Stuff you learn simply with trouble-experiences.

Gru▀,
    Boche

Last Online
    Tuesday, January 26th, 2010 @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boche View Post

Gru▀,
    Boche
    You don't need to get any muscles for MT! Just go try it out and if you dig it you're better of skinny since it's a weight class sport.

Last Online
    Country
    Paganist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Running is more important than muscles effectively.............someoen of you practice Jogging ?

Moderator "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    5 Days Ago @ 06:42 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Bavarii, Saxones, Suebi, Alamanni
    Subrace
    Borreby + Atlantonordoid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Zodiac Sign
    Libra
    Family
    Engaged
    Politics
    Tradition & Homeland
    Religion
    Odinist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    106 Posts
    I used to do some Tae Kwon Do when I was younger, and intend to pick that up again this autumn. Apart from that, once I'm more in shape, I intend to do Thaiboxing as well...

Radical Traditionalist :hve­rungur:'s Avatar
    Last Online
    Friday, April 11th, 2008 @ 02:24 PM
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Single
    Politics
    V÷lkisch Green
    Religion
    Heathenry
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry for not replying sooner, I hadn't checked this thread for replys to my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hussar
    Question : in your personal experience, what kind of Personality/attitude and phisic charachteristic adapts better to Kyokushin practice and what personality/attitude and physical charachteristic fits well with THAI practice ?
    You need to be able to take your pain and put it into the back of your head. Especially in Kyokushin and Muay Thai because there will be many a time you will throw a kick and someone will too and when your bare shins meet for the very first time it hurts like you couldn't imagine. It's usually best to condition your shins in both arts. Kicking the heavy bag and rolling a baseball bat with some pressure on your shins works as well, but you'll learn more about that from your trainers if you take them up anyways.

Also in Kyokushin, there is no head contact and sometimes people view that as a sign of weakness in the art but as you will learn in muay thai as well (if you have a good instructor) it is always better to go to the legs and body before the head. Both arts stress a "Take out the body and the head will follow" philosophy.

If you've ever seen ex MMA fighter now trainer Bas Rutten fight in his glory days, he utilized something from his old Kyokushin karate training days and that was a body (liver) strike. It does not matter how big or strong someone you are facing off with is, if you hit them with a good body shot, they are going down.

I will say that in Kyokushin, if you are a taller, more muscular guy this works to your advantage since most Kyokushin matches are held in a small circle so it is basically constant punches (below the neck) and kicks to score points. Also in a real life / non compition fight, all you need to do is throw a nice hook to the liver of anyone trying to attack or start a fight with you, they'll go down without a fight and you can get away.

If I could go back in time and choose one art to train and train only, it would be Kyokushin. It has more of a stress on explosive power where as traditional Muay thai is more the art of compiling strike after strike until your opponent is worn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Boche
    Actually if you're tall and lanky you'll be better off then if you were really muscular. You need to be very flexible in Muay thai and with thai boxing you'll be throwing a lot of strikes, knees, kicks, punches and elbows (depending on where you train, usually elbows are reserved for ring fights and are not practiced so much in sparring, at least in my experience). Muscles also eat up more oxygen and get you tired easilly, unless you have amazing cardio then you can afford to be very muscular.
    E-mail: odalist@gmail.com
    AOL IM: Blood Und Soil

wanttolearn
    My first real post here, mostly here to learn. This topic is something I have experience with. Krav Maga is probably one of the most practical martial arts out there especially in situations against multiple attackers. I am not young but have still used this in situations against would be muggers and kept my cell phone, wallet and life.

Last Online
    Sunday, February 28th, 2010 @ 05:34 PM
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Ancestry
    Scotch-Irish, Welsh, English, Dutch, German, French
    Subrace
    Alpine-Nordic mix
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    Ohio Ohio
    Single, looking
    Politics
    Libertarian/Tribalist
    Religion
    Asatru
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I've been in fights with multiple attackers. Unless you are extremely good and they suck balls you aren't going to win. It would be best to hit one of them and run. To beat 3 people you don't need to be 3 times better than them you need to be about 10 times better than any one of them. To defeat 4 people at once you need to be about 20 times better. The only case I've ever known of someone taking down multiple attackers was a guiy who was a martial arts instructor and professional kickboxer take down 3 street thugs (whom I doubt were good fighters). This guy wakes up and runs 5 miles a day, lifts weights, can take a hit etc. Sure bruce lee can maybe take down 4 average joes but unless you are in pro athlete condition and have trained for 5 years you might as well stop being delusional that some "style" can suddenly make you so much better than the people you are taking on.

It just doesn't make sense to stand and fight multiple attackers. You main objective should be to get to safety. And I would never assume that someone doesn't have a weapon on the street.

Almost all the fighting stlyles and training at commercial schools are crap. To truly train in self defense you have to find people to train with privately who are willing to train realistically. When you train in realistic fighting there isn't a whole lot of variation. The chinese military trains pretty similarly to the U.S. military, as do the Russians and any other nation worth their salt. The reason why is because they want to win. The soldiers also want to stay alive when attacked (or at least take down their enemy). It is real. Now let's take some Tae Kwon Do school in the suburbs. Pretty much nobody in there has seen any real violence or life threatening situation (including the instructor) or if they have very little of it. For god knows what reason they refuse to do any realistic self defense training and pretend that they are badasses.

I'll just give an example:

if you really want to train realistically put some gloves and gear on and really try to attack each other. Most people find this hard to do- they do not want to hurt another human being. But start thinking what if this was a real attack. Have the person really attack you. Can you defend yourself?

Most of these schools the people in it never even take a punch. Never once. How will they respond to pain in a real fight? Probably they will be stunned by it and loose as a result of minimal injury throwing them off. What about fear and danger? has any of them experienced real stress and a fearful situation? No. When they are really faced with danger they will freeze up and therefore be ineffective. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to start thinking about how to be realistic with your training. But at practically all schools I've went to they think that is going a little too far to actually train in real self defense. They call what they do self defense but its really a hobby and what they teach you is mostly ineffective and useless in any real dangerous situation.

The only people I've ever seen who train realistically are like ex-military. Maybe ex-cops if they served in a very dangerous city or something. The second best would be people who have done kick boxing, mma or other sports where the people are actually hitting you and actually trying to win. At least they have some prospective on whats real. Other than that most of these instructors have you memorize 1,000 different fancy techniques and then have you kick and punch the air for a while along with doing some stretches and that's pretty much all the training involves. No matter how cool of a kick you can do or how nice your form looks its rather useless without any realistic training to go along with it.

Wrestling really isn't much better. It is slightly better because you actually have to work with a partner and get some tiny sense of realism. Thus your judo and such has a drop of use. But here again you usually just throw someone around who is being compliant and letting you throw him. You aren't really engaged in a struggle against someone trying to hurt you or engaging in realistic scenarios. For example, you put on a gi to train in. Yet you will be attacked while in street clothes. The insistance on a uniform is the first dead give away that the training is not realistic. Yes in the army you train in army clothes, but you also fight in army clothes. Just a few pointers.

How to start training for real:

You have to stress yourself and put yourself through real danger. In the military they have people jump out of helicopters, and go into a room filled with toxic gas which they must breath then put on a gas mask and run out. If you look up the Russian neo-nazis on youtube they train for real. They build a wood structure for you to climb over and then set it on fire and have people climb over it while in flames. They have people crawl under real barbed wire where you really get cut if you fuck up. Then they actually punch at each other and fight without gloves on. This sh*t will prepare you for a real fight more than any of these fancy pants martial art schools you go to. But you can see them doing some of that training on the various documentaries and stuff made about them.

Second key training is rather simple. Reaction drills. You have someone come at you like they are going to punch you (but they stop just short of hitting your or make light contact- it's not to hurt you but for training purposes) you then block and counter and practice doing that over and over. You can find a martial art style you like and a use a block counter technique from that, and vary it to fit what is effective for you but do that ten times each on each side of the body (both hands) each time you train. Go through all the basic attack motions (striaight punch, round punch, overhand strike etc.).

Then the other way is you simulate real scenarios. If you want to train against multiple attackers put on some gloves and have three people come at you. Obviously you can't kick someone in the balls per say when training but within reason you can fight against people with light or moderate contact.

With weapons get a rubber knife. Mark it with chalk. Have a person try to attack you with it. Chalk marks on your clothes will show where you would have been cut. It's not rocket science is just like lifting weights- its all about being consistent with the training and putting the time in.

It is highly effective training.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast