Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
Results 191 to 195 of 195

Thread: Best Martial Art Against Multiple Attackers?

  1. #191
    Senior Member Angelcynn Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 12:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Politics
    National Capitalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    868
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I don't trust the effectiveness of any art that doesn't allow full speed sparring or randori.
    I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger.
    I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night.
    Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power!
    I AM BEOWULF!

  2. #192
    Senior Member Edgard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Jute/Angle
    Subrace
    Angle/Jute
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    conservative/pan Nordish
    Religion
    Mysticism/Christianity
    Posts
    992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelcynn Beorn View Post
    I don't trust the effectiveness of any art that doesn't allow full speed sparring or randori.
    True but sparing is not the only way. Joe Calzaghe never sparred in training but was and is a very skilled fighter.

  3. #193
    Senior Member Unity Mitford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Online
    Friday, August 24th, 2012 @ 02:03 PM
    Status
    Prolonged Absence
    Ethnicity
    English
    Gender
    Family
    Engaged
    Posts
    516
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I would like to try boxing...

  4. #194
    Senior Member Angelcynn Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Last Online
    1 Week Ago @ 12:45 AM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Anglo-Saxon
    Country
    England England
    State
    Essex Essex
    Location
    London
    Gender
    Politics
    National Capitalist
    Religion
    Protestant
    Posts
    868
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edgard View Post
    True but sparing is not the only way. Joe Calzaghe never sparred in training but was and is a very skilled fighter.
    He kept sparring to a minimum once he was champion, but he would have done hundreds of rounds of sparring whilst learning to box as an amateur. That kind of pressure testing is the only way you can learn to apply your techniques against a resisting opponent.

    That's why Judo and Aikido have such differing reputations in the Martial Arts world, despite having similar techniques. Judokas practice their technique against resisting opponents almost every session, Aikidokas essentially never do.
    I am Ripper... Tearer... Slasher... Gouger.
    I am the Teeth in the Darkness, the Talons in the Night.
    Mine is Strength... and Lust... and Power!
    I AM BEOWULF!

  5. #195
    Senior Member Edgard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 @ 11:25 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    English
    Ancestry
    Jute/Angle
    Subrace
    Angle/Jute
    Country
    England England
    State
    Wessex Wessex
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Gender
    Family
    Married
    Occupation
    Education
    Politics
    conservative/pan Nordish
    Religion
    Mysticism/Christianity
    Posts
    992
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelcynn Beorn View Post
    He kept sparring to a minimum once he was champion, but he would have done hundreds of rounds of sparring whilst learning to box as an amateur. That kind of pressure testing is the only way you can learn to apply your techniques against a resisting opponent.

    That's why Judo and Aikido have such differing reputations in the Martial Arts world, despite having similar techniques. Judokas practice their technique against resisting opponents almost every session, Aikidokas essentially never do.
    Thats true but people over do sparing. If you are learning traditional martial arts you should only do fast free sparing as the last step in a very long process. This is why we have so may "traditional" martial artist who move like kick boxers and can't fight . Sparing is just part of the picture. It also depends on the art itself. No way will free sparing help you in Taiji if you haven't already been learning for years (yes people who use Taiji for fighting sparr).

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920

Similar Threads

  1. Which Martial Art Do You Favour?
    By Johannes de León in forum Self-Defense & the Art of War
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: Sunday, August 22nd, 2010, 10:34 AM
  2. ABIR - The National Martial Art of the People of Israel
    By svartabrandr in forum Self-Defense & the Art of War
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Friday, September 10th, 2004, 06:19 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •