View Poll Results: Are you superficial (in the sense of what people think it is)?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i couldn't have a relationship to a unattractive person, even if the character is perfect

28 44.44%
  • No, i don't care how unattractive the person is, as long as the character fits.

13 20.63%
  • None of above - i posted my opinion on this issue.

9 14.29%
  • I don't care, shut up Boche.

13 20.63%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong With Being Superficial?

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Funding Membership Inactive
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Re: What's wrong with being superficial?

As people who understand race even just a little, it should be obvious that "looks" are more than "just looks".
    Body and Mind, the two go together, inseparable.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AW: Re: What's wrong with being superficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    As people who understand race even just a little, it should be obvious that "looks" are more than "just looks".
    Body and Mind, the two go together, inseparable.
    Not really,
    there are also mental tendencies in certain races but that's quite much unrelated to the physical attractivity. A lot of our character is determined by our experiences. Genetics only determine a field of possibilities to develope which can always be left through the buttom because of negative experiences. Just compare with your own experiences. Are the kindest and most intelligent people also the most beautiful ones? I doubt anybody will say yes and if he does, he's quite lucky I guess. For those lacking of personal experience with human speciesmen let's just take scientists and models as example since I'm sure you've seen them already in the media if not even in real life. Are the scientists usually sexually attractive and are the models usually mentally brilliant? No, rather the opposit and most models and other generally sexually attractive considered are often not only just avaragely intelligent but also known for their bad behaviour and character.
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Re: AW: Re: What's wrong with being superficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
    Not really,
    there are also mental tendencies in certain races but that's quite much unrelated to the physical attractivity.
    You don't understand, it is about the fact that the body is an expression of the soul, regardless of race.
    A fat guy will have a certain mind set which made him fat in the first place, somebody who doesn't care about his hair, does too, etc.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 01:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AW: Re: AW: Re: What's wrong with being superficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
    You don't understand, it is about the fact that the body is an expression of the soul, regardless of race.
    A fat guy will have a certain mind set which made him fat in the first place, somebody who doesn't care about his hair, does too, etc.
    Also wrong. For example fatness is also to a certain degree determined by the genes and even people who hardly eat anything and do sports sometimes have a really hard time not getting fat while other individuals can eat as much as they can and never do sports without getting fat.
    Mindset and appearance go hand in hand but not mindset and physical look.
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

Bloodhound
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts

Re: AW: Re: AW: Re: What's wrong with being superficial?

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
    Also wrong.
    Nope, no matter how your genes work, the first law of thermodynamics is true for every being, and non-being, on earth.
    Even more so, your example just adds to my point, people who can eat as much as they want simply use more energy, mostly thorugh unconscious constant body movement, compare to hyper activism, or longer limbs, read "different race" , this will certainly effect the mind set also.

I admit that there are some chemical things which might change the physical look without a certain mind set, yet these are exceptions.

Last Online
    Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 @ 09:56 PM
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Philosopher
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

"Only great pain, the long, slow pain that takes its time—on which we are burned, as it were, with green wood—compels us philosophers to descend into our ultimate depths and to put aside all trust, everything good-natured, everything that would interpose a veil, that is mild, that is medium—things in which formerly we may have found our humanity.

I doubt that such pain makes us "better"—; but I know that it makes us more profound. Whether we learn to pit our pride, our scorn, our will power against it, equaling the American Indian who, however tortured, repays his torturer with the malice of his tongue; or whether we withdraw from pain into that Oriental Nothing—called Nirvana—into mute, rigid, deaf resignation, self-forgetting, self-extinction: out of such long and dangerous exercises of self-mastery one emerges as a different person, with a few more question marks—above all with the will henceforth to question further, more deeply, severely, harshly, evilly, and quietly than one had questioned heretofore.

The trust in life is gone: life itself has become a problem.— Yet one should not jump to the conclusion that this necessarily makes one gloomy! Even love of life is still possible—only one loves differently. It is the love for a woman that causes doubts in us ...

The attraction of everything problematic, the delight in an X, however, is so great in such more spiritual, more spiritualized men that this delight flares up again and again like a bright blaze over all the distress of what is problematic, over all the danger of uncertainty, and even over the jealousy of the lover. We know a new happiness ...."

"In the end, lest what is most important remain unsaid: from such abysses, from such severe sickness, also from the sickness of severe suspicion, one returns newborn, having shed one's skin, more ticklish and malicious, with a more delicate taste for joy, with a tenderer tongue for all good things, with merrier senses, with a second dangerous innocence in joy, more childlike and yet a hundred times subtler than one has ever been before.

Oh how repulsive pleasure is now, that crude, musty, brown pleasure as it is understood by those who like pleasure, our "educated" people, our rich people, and our rulers! How maliciously we listen now to the big country-fair boom-boom with which the "educated" person and city dweller today permits art, books, and music to rape him and provide "spiritual pleasures"—with the aid of spirituous liquors!

How the theatrical scream of passion now hurts our ears, how strange to our taste the whole romantic uproar and tumult of the senses have become, which the educated mob loves, and all its aspirations after the elevated, inflated, and exaggerated!

No, if we convalescents still need art, it is a different art—a mocking, light, fleeting, divinely untroubled, divinely artificial art that, like a pure flame, licks into unclouded skies! Above all: an art for artists, for artists only!

We know better afterward what above all is needed for this: cheerfulness, any cheerfulness, my friends!—also as artists—: let me prove it. There are a few things we now know too well, we knowing ones: oh, how we now learn to forget well, and to be good at not knowing, as artists!

And as for our future, one will hardly find us again on the paths of those Egyptian youths who endanger temples by night, embrace statues, and want by all means to unveil, uncover, and put into a bright light whatever is kept concealed for good reasons [An allusion to Frederich Schiller's "The Veiled Image at Sais."]. No, this bad taste, this will to truth, to "truth at any price," this youthful madness in the love of truth, have lost their charm for us: for that we are too experienced, too serious, too merry, too burned, too profound ...

We no longer believe that truth remains truth when the veils are withdrawn; we have lived too much to believe this. Today we consider it a matter of decency not to wish to see everything naked, or to be present at everything, or to understand and "know" everything.

"Is it true that God is present everywhere?" a little girl asked her mother; "I think that's indecent"—a hint for philosophers!

One should have more respect for the bashfulness with which nature has hidden behind riddles and iridescent uncertainties. Perhaps truth is a woman who has reasons for not letting us see her reasons? Perhaps her name is—to speak Greek— Baubo? [Baubo: A primitive and obscene female demon; originally a personification of the female genitals.] ...

Oh, those Greeks! They knew how to live. What is required for that is to stop courageously at the surface, the fold, the skin, to adore appearance, to believe in forms, tones, words, in the whole Olympus of appearance! Those Greeks were superficial—out of profundity!

And is not this precisely what we are coming back to, we daredevils of the spirit who have climbed the highest and most dangerous peak of present thought and looked around from up there—we who have looked down from there? Are we not, precisely in this respect—Greeks? Adorers of forms, of tones, of words? And thereforeartists?"

--- Nietzsche, GS

Nothing's wrong with being superficial, as long as you're an artist. If you're not an artist, it's definitely wrong.
    In a woman's love is injustice and blindness towards all that she does not love... Woman is not yet capable of friendship: women are still cats and birds. Or, at best, cows. Woman is not yet capable of friendship. But tell me, you men, which of you is yet capable of friendship? --- Nietzsche, TSZ

Lost in Melancholia
    „Friend of Germanics”
    Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Bavarian tribe
    Ancestry
    Bavarian
    Subrace
    Nordid-Borreby
    State
    Bavaria Bavaria
    Occupation
    Breathing the forest
    Politics
    Regionalist-conservative
    Religion
    Ásatrú/Forn Siðr
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

AW: What's wrong with being superficial?

I´ve voted for "None of above - i posted my opinion on this issue."

The "Yes..." and "No..."-answers are to extreme for me. Neither I´ve the opinion that I decline all potential relationships just because of "bad" looks of the partner, nor I think that looks are totally unimportant, even if the character fits perfect. Its something between that two extremes.

My first real boyfriend in school (7th grade) was considered as an "ugly jerk" by many people. He had just bad luck with puberty. Because of that, he had a low self-esteem and had angst in front of many people in school. ButI knew him since elemental school, we´ve made friends with each other. And If one knows an other person for a long timespan, the looks doesnt matter so much anymore as they would do if you see a person just swiftly on a floor, for example.
    Honestly, no one could understand why I had a relationship with this person back then.
    Reality is that he was one of the kindest, friendliest, most understanding, most reliable and yet so humourful persons Ive ever met. A big part of my relationship to him was teenage love, but an other part was compassion for his situation.

Anyway: Ive yet to meet the boy who can provide me an equal nice character and individuality like him. I wait for...some years now.

(We eventually broke after two years, but not because I found him too ugly)

"Judge of your natural character by what you do in your dreams" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last Online
    Saturday, July 4th, 2009 @ 07:25 PM
    Ethnicity
    French Canadian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem you raises, Boche, does not in fact concern superficiality. Being superficial is not to care about looks, nor to care a lot about looks, but in fact to care about looks more than anything else. A love or passion relationship between two human beings has always had a physical attraction "component", no matter which part of the world, which era or which culture we are looking at. We are not de-materialised creatures longing for spiritual or sentimental food only, we are deeply rooted in the material world which surrounds us, as a love relationship is also deeply rooted in, among other things, the carnal and raw dimension.

I do not think anyone here considers looks to be more important than anything else, for the very reason that I can't imagine someone of this type spending hours on a internet forum talking about abstract matters.
    "The heavenly motions... are nothing but a continuous song for several voices, perceived not by the ear but by the intellect,
    a figured music which sets landmarks
    in the immeasurable flow of time."

Last Online
    Saturday, March 31st, 2007 @ 03:15 PM
    Subrace
    Skando-Nordid->CM
    Country
    England England
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I think looks matter to me in the first stages of getting to know a girl romantically or otherwise, and in the first instance it's entirely based upon looks. Only upon getting to know a girl's personality do I start to measure that equally to looks. And If I fall in love with a girl, looks wouldn't matter anymore, but things such as cleanliness etc would.
    Tired

Last Online
    Tuesday, December 21st, 2010 @ 07:59 AM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Europid Mix!
    Baking cookies
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Superficial can mean more than one thing. Such as liking to look at good-looking people; or only wanting to date people that you are naturally attracted to; good looking people that acknowledge the fact that they are attractive; maybe technically that falls under the defintion of superficial, but it does not degrade the meaning of life. As long as you mean well to others around you, and try your best to get along with others around you.

Superficial in the sense that you are shallow; don't think too deeply/analytically into anything; have no depth; only take for "value" what is seen in the exterior; won't socialize or be friendly to people without materialism or the social connections you desire; is a lot more degrading to the meaning of life.

For example; what is considered more "superficial"; dating a guy that you are genuinely not attracted to, and feel zero chemistry with him, but only date him because you want to prove that you have "depth." Or someone else that dates for the same circumstance, and has money (materialism involved). Or someone that only dates people that they are NATURALLY attracted to.

To date someone that is good-looking on the outside, but has a horrible personality or none at all, and the sole purpose because of looks, well from a woman's perspective, I don't think that happens. Because I think women instincitvely look for security which is not looks. Of course the woman should find his physical appearance attractive. But a man in the other hand is more instinctively going to date a woman solely on her looks. Because that is instinctively a man looks for the most. Women=security; men=appearance. But of course there are exceptions, and MUCH more that goes into it.

What I hate is people that are insecure about their own looks, and whenever they see people that they think/know are better looking than they are and want them to be stupid and always make them look like they are dumb. But they do that because somebody more attractive and smarter than they are is too overwhelming.

Those are the same people that are like "I may be ugly, but at least I'm smart. And she may be pretty, but she is dumb."

You know what...the pretty "dumb" girl can make herself smart, by studying and reading. But the ugly "smart" bitch will need to get plastic surgery to make herself pretty. So what do you think would be less painful in the long run. Spiteful people are ugly no matter the features on their face, the eyes are always ugly though.

Beyond that, good-looks come from the inside then out. Being healthy, having a good brain, spirituality, longeivity, most importantly being HAPPY in the "inside of your body" shows through the outside, and that also contributes to looks.

Beauty is also in the eye of the beholder. I don't think there is a single person in the planet where everyone is going agree on the intensity on how beautiful they are.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast