monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Extra-terrestrial origins

So many points and so many theories have been raised, that I shall confine my discussion to only two of them. Intraterrestrial worlds are a geophysical impossibility. The Earth cannot be hollow. The force of gravity at the surface is what it would be if the Earth were composed mostly of ferromagnesian silicates and aluminosilicates, with a core of iron alloyed with nickel. If the Earth's interior were hollow, gravity would be so weak that we would leap tens of metres at each step. Given the known gravitational force at the Earth's surface and the known strength of crustal rocks, if any large part of the Earth's interior were hollow, the crust would implode, being unable to support its own weight. Earthquakes set up vibrations in the Earth's interior known as seismic waves. Some of these vibrations can be transmitted only by solids; others can be transmitted by liquids as well. These vibrations pass through the Earth's interior to the other side. They can do this only if the Earth's interior is composed of solid and liquid materials. There can be no voids because the seismic waves could not pass through them. Erich von Däniken erects vast structures of speculation on the foundation of a very small amount of factrual evidence and then supports them by what I call the "method of progressive concession." It works like this. He gets the reader to agree that something could be true. For example, if a savage saw a space ship with its long glowing exhaust plumes, isn't is possible that he might describe it as a fiery dragon ? Well, sure, that could be true. Now, he never offers any further evidence for this, but watch closely what he does. Much later in the book, he mentions a dragon again and adds (perhaps a space ship ?). The next time he refers to it, though, he says something like "As we have seen, a fiery dragon represents an alien space ship." When he refers to a dragon again, though he has , in no way, provided any further evidence in favor of the idea, he now assumes it as valid. A dragon, that is, a space ship.........Von Däniken's books provide countless examples of this kind of "reasoning." I've addressed the question of extraterrestrial life and intelligence before, so I'll just point out that the odds against our detecting it are (pun intentional) astronomical. Broadcasting radio waves is an extremely wasteful way of using them for communication. We are already using tight beams of radio waves relayed by satellites for many types of communication. In a century, it will be impossible for intelligent extraterrestrial life-forms to detect OUR existence. Yet, it has been only about a century since Guglielmo Marconi, infinging upon Nicola Tesla's patents, transmitted the letter "s" (...) across the Atlantic Ocean. The age of radio broadcasting is already nearly over. How likely is it that we can catch an alien civilization (if any) in that short episode of its technological history ?..... Nonetheless, there are, indeed mysteries on this planet. Does anyone here know about the monumental basalt ruins at Ponape Nan Matal (or Pohnpe Nan Madol), which are unlike anything else in the entire Pacific basin ?

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    United States United States
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Snorri, Great post and great information. I would rather have you go on and explain/describe the Ponape Nan Matal than discuss extraterrestrials.

I have seen pictures of these ruins on TV and heard what was said about them. It is said that they were built on artificial islands by a huge labor force and that sometime later they were abandoned. I believe David Hatcher Childress has written a book covering these ruins but I have not read it. He did a series of "lost civilization" books.

Also, I have a couple geologic questions, if you would be so kind:

Question 1: Somewhere just recently some said or told me that the Sierra Nevada Mountains constitute the largest granite formation in the world. Is that true?

Question 2: There is a theory (forget its name but I am sure you know of it) which says that crude oil is was not formed from the bodies of ancient organisms (under heat and pressure) but formed inorganically by some other method as yet not known to science. They cite oil discoveries where their should not be oil. Stormfront has an ongoing discussion which sometimes touches upon this subject. What do you think of this theory?

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 01:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aðelakhaiðús.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Is anyone familiar with the book The God Kings and The Titans; The New World Ascendancy? I read it in junior high and don't remember much about it but it seems like it would be up your alley. http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...lr%3D%26sa%3DN
    -Hyge sceal ðe heardre, heorte ðe cénre, mód sceal ðe máre, þý úre mægen lytlaþ. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Last Online
    Friday, April 3rd, 2009 @ 09:10 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Norwegian
    Ancestry
    Maternal: Norway, Paternal: Massachusetts
    Subrace
    I don't know Lundman's taxonomy.
    Country
    State
    Connecticut Connecticut
    Family
    Single, not looking
    Occupation
    Nothing (retired)
    Politics
    monarchist
    Religion
    agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Dr. Wolff, I really don't know if the Sierra Nevada is the largest granitic massif in the world. It may well be. It is composed of granitic rock, that is rock similar in composition to granite but distinguished from it by some mineralogical differences. These include (inter alia) true granite, quartz monzonite, granodiorite, and silicic diorite. The Sierra Nevada massif is not chemically or mineralogically homogeneous....... Why in the world would someone search for a far-fetched unknown mechanism for the origin of petroleum when there is no significant evidence against the existing hypothesis that it is produced from hydrocarbons driven out of the bodies of organisms buried in sedimentary rocks and subjected to heat and pressure, essentially destructive distillation ? The fact that petroleum is now found in unsuitable host rocks does not mean that it was FORMED there. Petroleum is very volatile and easily displaced by tectonic stresses. It is found wherever it has come to rest. I have no contact now with recent geochemical literature, but there may well be studies of carbon isotopes in petroleum which would settle the question of its putatively biogenic origin.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Friday, September 5th, 2008 @ 06:36 AM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    California California
    Married
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response on the Sierras and abiotic oil. I think it was a Swedish guy who came up with this abiotic oil theory many years ago. His whole pitch was centered around finding oil where it just shouldn't be. Perhaps nobody ever brought up the possibility that the oil just flowed in from somewhere else. It seems logical. The big arguement against this idea in my mind was that coal, related to petroleum, does sometimes contain fossils within it which indicate its origin.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234