Mother
    Religion
    Irminist/Odalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Germanic vs. Nordic?

Maybe I've been hopelessly confused my whole life, but I have always distinguished between Germanic and Nordic. They have always been two separate things in my view. I would consider Nordic to be either a subset of Germanic or possibly even an entirely different cultural/ethnic group. But it seems since I've come to this forum that a lot of people here use these terms interchangeably. Does everyone here consider Nordic and Germanic synonymous? For those who do, why?

Last Online
    Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 @ 09:22 AM
    Ethnicity
    Dutch
    Subrace
    Nordid/Keltic admixture + CM
    Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    State
    Friesland Friesland
    F*ck politics!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

I consider Nordic a part of Germanic. Those who live in scandinavia aren't really that different from those who live on the western continental.

Atleast I consider myself as a Nordic Dutch Man so I guess there is no difference. Just the place where we live.

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
    Maybe I've been hopelessly confused my whole life, but I have always distinguished between Germanic and Nordic. They have always been two separate things in my view. I would consider Nordic to be either a subset of Germanic or possibly even an entirely different cultural/ethnic group. But it seems since I've come to this forum that a lot of people here use these terms interchangeably. Does everyone here consider Nordic and Germanic synonymous? For those who do, why?

Well, I guess it depends on what category we are discussing....

Culture? Language? Anthropological races and subraces?

In my humble opinon, I would say that culturally speaking, the Nordic or Scandinavian is indeed a subset of the greater Germanic whole and the same holds true for linguistics: Danish, Faroese, Icelandic, Norwegian & Swedish are classified as belonging in the North Germanic branch of the greater Germanic branch of the Indo-European tree.

If we are speaking of racial anthropology than things are a little different. Nordic is a common term used for a specific human phenotype--that seems to have its highest concentration in the Scandinavian counties--but by no means is it confined to. I've never seen a human taxonomy that refers to a Germanic subrace--although there are certainly subtypes that are more common amongst peoples belonging to the Germanic branch of humanity (linguistically & culturally speaking). By my reckoning, Germanic is better off left as a cultural and linguistic designation and not a racial one. Nordic on the other hand can be used, or so it seems, to designate a subracial type, a broad cultural area and perhaps as synonymous with the North Germanic branch of the Indo-European language tree.....

I'm sure there will be those who wish to correct any errors I may have put forth.

Last Online
    Thursday, May 13th, 2010 @ 02:33 AM
    Ethnicity
    Extraterrestrial
    Ancestry
    Germany/Saxons
    Country
    Germany Germany
    State
    Lower Saxony Lower Saxony
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

To say it short and simple. They are not the same. Germanic is a cultural (and linguistic) term whereas nordic is an anthropological term but the vast majority of the nordic people was Germanic whereas a lot of the Germanics weren't nordic. Nordics are together with dalofaelids, alpinids and other subraces a part of the Germanic whole.
    Ceterum censeo Iudaeam esse delendam.

Last Online
    Sunday, April 1st, 2007 @ 02:18 AM
    Subrace
    Eriliskaz
    Hermit
    Occupation
    Teutonologist
    Politics
    Pangermanicism
    Religion
    Aðelakhaiðús.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Germanic is a cultural (and linguistic) term whereas nordic is an anthropological term but the vast majority of the nordic people was Germanic whereas a lot of the Germanics weren't nordic.
    That depends on what time period you are referring to. Before the Germanic tribes settled among and interbred with Alpinids and Mediterranids etc during the Migration Period, or Voelkerwanderung, the Germanic Peoples were essentially Nordid/Cromagnid(Dalo-Faelid and Bruenn for the most part), with Nordid being dominant. The further back you go in time, the more racially Nordid the Germanic peoples are.
    -Hyge sceal ðe heardre, heorte ðe cénre, mód sceal ðe máre, þý úre mægen lytlaþ. -The Battle of Maldon
    -I love the great despisers, because they are the great adorers, and arrows of longing for the other shore. -Thus Spake Zarathustra

Bloodhound
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    German
    Ancestry
    Atlantean
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

Since I believe that the ability to create culture is part of ones race, I can't but believe that Nordic and Germanic are closely related to each other.

However, both words have different meaning, as already explained, and of course not all germanics are nordics, and not all nordics are germanics, and should not be used interchangeably.
    "Nothing is more disgusting than the majority: because it consists of a few powerful predecessors, of rogues who adapt themselves, of weak who assimilate themselves, and the masses who imitate without knowing at all what they want." (Johann Wolfgang Goethe)

.....for a white Europe
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Saturday, March 17th, 2007 @ 07:24 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid/Faelid
    Country
    Germany Germany
    Family
    Körbchengröße G
    Occupation
    being Nazi, playing Hatecore
    Politics
    Worldfascism
    Religion
    Alyssa Milano
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AW: Germanic vs. Nordic

Germanic vs. Nordic? Are you all crazy? Never mind! If we dont stand together - europe is dead!!!
    Look at France, Spain, England, Sweden, Greece, Germany.....,

We are only a few millions of European people against billions of non-whites and they all want our EUROPE.

www.fw.nationales-netz.com

Nachrichten, Demoberichte, CD-Besprechungen, Interviews, Männerkalender, tägliche Kolumne

"Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Thursday, October 19th, 2017 @ 11:51 AM
    Ethnicity
    New English
    State
    Vermont Vermont
    Smuggler
    Politics
    Ruralist
    Religion
    Old Mother West Wind
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts

Re: AW: Germanic vs. Nordic

Quote Originally Posted by Insidiator View Post
    Germanic vs. Nordic? Are you all crazy? Never mind! If we dont stand together - europe is dead!!!
    Look at France, Spain, England, Sweden, Greece, Germany.....,

We are only a few millions of European people against billions of non-whites and they all want our EUROPE.

I don't think she was addressing some "VS." sort of thing--just looking for a little clarification on common terminology.

Last Online
    Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006 @ 07:06 AM
    Subrace
    North-Atlantid
    Country
    Vinland Vinland
    Family
    Married, happily
    Occupation
    Mother
    Religion
    Irminist/Odalist
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminatus View Post
    To say it short and simple. They are not the same. Germanic is a cultural (and linguistic) term whereas nordic is an anthropological term but the vast majority of the nordic people was Germanic whereas a lot of the Germanics weren't nordic. Nordics are together with dalofaelids, alpinids and other subraces a part of the Germanic whole.
    Okay, that's what I thought, too, but it really seems like a lot of people here only consider Nordics to be the "true" Germanics and the rest of us to be somehow substandard. However, as you say, Germanic is a cultural category encompassing several different subraces and it has for quite some time now. So it was just confusing me as to how some people were using the terms. For instance, in this thread, Nordicness seems to be used as a determiner of Germanicness; the underlying assumption seems to be that Norwegians are the standard of Germanicness by which all others should be measured. However, I would say rather that Norwegians are a standard not of Germanicness but of Nordicness, which we have already established is NOT the same thing. The thread, however, seems to be equating Nordic with Germanic, something that has not been true for nearly two millennia now, at least.
    It seems that the attitude of trying to make "who's Germanic" as exclusive as possible is needlessly divisive and elitist when, as another member said, we should be focussing on unity and solidarity - we are all Northern European, and that's pretty much the ancient definition of "Germanic". Why mess with it?

Witukind

Re: AW: Re: Germanic vs. Nordic

Quote Originally Posted by Nixie View Post
    However, I would say rather that Norwegians are a standard not of Germanicness but of Nordicness
    But the Norwegians are Germanic! Their language and culture is Germanic.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast