mom
    Politics
    N/A
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Post Re: Naming Customs

My son and daughter are named after family.

Lilja Anna- Lilja my grandmothers name (we added Anna from a family friend)

Garrett 111- Named after his grandfather and father obviously as he is a third.

My name Shannon apparently was from my godmother

The rest of my family has names that were passed on from my fathers side
    my brothers name is Nelson it has been in our family forever . My sisters name Christy was a name my folks liked . My mothers name was Margaret and my fathers is Norman(which he hates ) Anyway that the crap on my families names

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Lightbulb The Meanings/Etymologies

Quote Originally Posted by Willowsprout
    ...Lilja Anna- Lilja my grandmothers name (we added Anna from a family friend)
    Lilja (Lilly) can mean one of four things: 1.) a diminutive of the Biblical Elizabeth; 2.) a nickname for someone with very fair hair and/or skin; 3.) a geographical name, or {and especially in your family's case-->} 4.) 'Lilja' is a Swedish (but surely used in Icelandic too, of course) ornamental (in the sense of a flower, perhaps) name.

Anna is also Biblical and of Greek origin, meaning 'pure/chaste.' Also, in it's Latin form it means 'lamb,' one of Christ's symbols.

...Garrett 111- Named after his grandfather and father obviously as he is a third....
    Garrett is ultimately a Norman name, although, of course in it's modern form 'English.' The Normans introduced it to England...in two forms: 1.) 'Gerard' which is a Germanic name meaning 'spear' + 'hard/brave/strong'; 2.) 'Gerald' another Germanic name meaning 'spear' + 'rule.'

...My name Shannon apparently was from my godmother...
    Shannon is, of course, an Anglicized form of the Irish-Gaelic 'Seáin,'which is Biblical simply meaning 'John.' Also, the river in Ireland of the same, precise spelling.

...The rest of my family has names that were passed on from my fathers side
    my brothers name is Nelson it has been in our family forever....
    Nelson is English, of course, but is really a Celto-Germanic compound name meaning 'Niall/Néill (Irish Gaelic thought to mean 'champion')' + 'son' (the meaning is obviouse & derived from the Anglo-Sax. 'sunu,' of the same meaning). From the earliest days of my childhood, and all thru my life MANY of my friends (some of them the BEST! friends I have ever had) are paternal members of the GREAT! Nelson family.

...My sisters name Christy was a name my folks liked...
    Christy is, obviously, a diminutive of the Greek 'Christos' (annointed one)...typically borne by females. Alright now, I've asked you before if you have a SISTER!!!!! and you DO!!!!!!! Give me her details PLEASE!!! LOL

...My mothers name was Margaret and my fathers is Norman(which he hates )....
    Margaret comes from the Late Latin 'Margarita(probably, ultimately of Persian origin)' meaning 'pearl.'

...Anyway that the crap on my families names
    THANK YOU for posting this, I LOVE studying/examining names, etc....this kinda' stuff is RIGHT! up my alley!

My given/first name is of Hebrew origin (it is associated with God); my middle name is of Greek origin (it is associated with biology); my (adopted) paternal surname is Anglo-Saxon (it is war associated); my (biological) surname is Alemannic {i.e., Swiss/High German} (it is farm associated); my (adopted) mother's maiden name is Swabian {i.e., 'Swabian-Alemannic' German} (it's association/meaning I have never understood); & my (biological) mother's maiden name is of Norman origin (it is associated with a physical characteristic). I've told you before, my sister is named Shannon too! We have so much in common!
    Last edited by +Suomut+; Sunday, March 21st, 2004 at 03:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12