Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Post Re: Just got back from the Passion

Quote Originally Posted by Pushkin
    No she wasn't. She was either an Israelite(which the 1980 Jewish Almanac admits is not the same as a Jew) or a Galileen(which is refered to in the Bible as a Gentile people).
    Not true. All Israelites living in Palestine during that time were descendants of the tribes of Juda and Benjamin. The other 10 tribes had long been gone, after they were taken into exile by the Assyrians around 700 BC. There is no evidence whatsoever that Mary was not of the tribe of Juda. Actually, if the Bible is to be taken as correct, then Mary was a Jew (Judean), since Jesus is supposedly from the line of Juda....

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, February 21st, 2006 @ 06:00 PM
    Subrace
    other
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Occupation
    long may it continue! ;)
    Politics
    dunno
    Religion
    reform judaism.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i shall look forward to seeing this movie in that case cosmo i;ve only heard good things from people who have actually SEEN it...

Last Online
    Thursday, August 20th, 2009 @ 01:11 AM
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Uralic/Alpine/Pontid mixed
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loki
    Actually, if the Bible is to be taken as correct, then Mary was a Jew (Judean), since Jesus is supposedly from the line of Juda....
    Yes, thats how its written in the original Greek. Yet the Greek word for Judean has no religious connotations. So a Greek pagan living in Judea was as much a Judean as any Jew.

Funding Member
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Ethnicity
    Germanic
    Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    State
    Essex Essex
    Putinism
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Yes, thats how its written in the original Greek. Yet the Greek word for Judean has no religious connotations. So a Greek pagan living in Judea was as much a Judean as any Jew.
    Yes, it denoted ethnicity rather than religion.

Last Online
    Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 @ 02:22 AM
    Subrace
    The Other Seedline
    Politics
    No-bless O'Bleeg
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just got back from it, too!

I liked the way they did the evil spirits (particularly the old-looking baby!) Interesting.

Other than that, it was a gore-fest (to my liking, of course ), and it seemed a bit...for lack of a better word...evangelical.

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Lightbulb Mary & Joseph

But Mary was a Jewess!
    This is only possible if one interprets Luke 3:23-38 as being MARY'S genealogy NOT Joseph's genealogy, thus making Heli Mary's father not Joseph's. Interpreting those verses that way in turn makes Matthew 1:1-17 Joseph's ONLY genealogy (rather than him having two), besides the Matthew verses show Joseph's genealogy without question--i.e., no possiblity of it being Mary's. So, if the Luke verses really do lay out Mary's genealogy (and I believe they do), then she really was a Judahitess ('Jewess' in a genetic sense). Regardless, based on the Matt. verses, Joseph was a Judahite (genetic). Both lines are Davidite (genetic & royal).

Furthermore, and this is even more ROCK SOLID than the above, there is STRONG evidence in Scripture that Mary was at the very least in part an Aaronitess (genetic), and thus, a Levitess(genetic). Mary & Elisabeth were related (Luke 1:36), but Elisabeth was NOT! a Judahitess (genetic) she was an Aaronitess/Levitess (genetic, cf. Luke 1:5). So, it may even be possible that she was ENTIRELY an Aaronitess/Levitess (genetic) and NOT! a Daviditess/Judahitess (genetic) at all. I personally believe she was both; paternally a Daviditess/Judahitess (genetic) & maternally an Aaronitess/Levitess (genetic).

No she wasn't. She was either an Israelite(which the 1980 Jewish Almanac admits is not the same as a Jew) or a Galileen(which is refered to in the Bible as a Gentile people).
    Well, I've made my case on what she probably was genetically above. Of course, one doesn't have to consult a publication of the "synagogue of satan (i.e, the 1980 'jewish' almanac)" to understand that just because one is a (genetic) Israelite does not necessarily mean one is a (genetic) Judahite. As for Galilee, geography doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's genetic heritage (Loki & I both can attest to this...we both have been fighting such misconceptions for years).

Quote Originally Posted by Gladstone
    Some think that's symbolic of the Anti-Christ. As in while the true Christ is being killed, Satan has his false one at the ready.
    Sadly, I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on all this much, BUT I will say that EVERYONE in Scripture (regardless of ethnicity) who weren't WITH Christ were AGAINST Christ and therefore were anti-Christs. So, all such characters in that movie are symbolic anti-Christs.

Not true. All Israelites living in Palestine during that time were descendants of the tribes of Juda and Benjamin. The other 10 tribes had long been gone, after they were taken into exile by the Assyrians around 700 BC....
    Loki, man, we need to study the Scriptures together sometime! LOL (no, don't tell me you refuse, it would only break my heart ) Well, there were MORE than just Judahite(genetic) and Benjaminite(genetic) Israelites(genetic) living in the area at the time of Christ. Of course, there were Levities(genetic)...[see Elisabeth above]...Elisabeth's husband Zacharias was one, an Aaronite(genetic) priest [Luke 1:5]...and their son, John the Baptist (one of the most RIGHTEOUS men who has ever walked this earth, BTW), was no different than his parents ethnically: he was an Aaronite(genetic)/Levite(genetic) preacher of the Gospel (and NOT! a {genetic} Judahite, BTW, of course, he and Jesus were CLOSELY RELATED as were BOTH their mothers--see above). Anna 'the Prophetess' was an Asheritess (genetic)[Luke 2:36]. So, NOT ALL the (genetic) tribal members were absent, but then again, NOT ALL the (GENETIC) Judahites, Benjaminites, & Levites were PRESENT either, IMO.

...There is no evidence whatsoever that Mary was not of the tribe of Juda. Actually, if the Bible is to be taken as correct, then Mary was a Jew (Judean), since Jesus is supposedly from the line of Juda....
    There is potential evidence that she was not, but again (see above) I believe she was. In Christ's day, living in 'Judea,' was rather like living in Boston, Massachusetts today (it MAY have the NAME but that doesn't necessarily mean it has MANY of the folks of the kind the name of the area suggests! IMO, in Christ's day, there weren't many geniune [genetic!] Judahites living in 'Judea,' just like today there aren't many geniune [genetic!] Englishmen OR Amerindians living in 2004 Boston {English habitation name}, Mass.{Amerindian tribe} ). Obviously, & at the very least, SYMBOLICALLY, Jesus was indeed descended from Judah.

Indeed, and WELL said, I might add.

Yes, it denoted ethnicity rather than religion.
    IMO, at that time it denoted geographical, political, social, & cultural status far more than 'ethnic/genetic' status. None of the were even linguistic 'Hebrews,' (now, I won't say the same for GENETIC Hebrews, that's a different and complicated subject) for no one in Christ's time spoke it...Christ, like many in that day and area spoke Aramaic...of course, Greek and Latin speech was not hard to find spoken either.

Cheers & God (thru Christ) Bless,
    Suomut2_13

Last Online
    Monday, November 15th, 2010 @ 04:14 PM
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Anglo-American
    Ancestry
    England, Scotland, Ireland, Alcase, Netherlands
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    State
    Kentucky Kentucky
    Married parent
    Occupation
    Chemical Engineer
    Politics
    Isolationist
    Religion
    Christian
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I went to Catholic school. The nuns taught us that one of Mary's ancestresses was a gentile -- I think her name was Ruth -- who was poor and had to glean in a rich man's fields. He, a Jew, fell in love with her and married her (was his name Boas?). So, the Scripture according to the nuns of St. Rita has Mary being part Jewish and part Gentile.

Besides, doesn't Jesus have to be of the House of David in order to have fulfilled Messianic prophecy? Since Jesus's father is God (not Joseph) Joseph's lineage is irrelevant. Jews and other middle easterners trace descent through the matrilineal line, don't they?

I intend to see the Passion of the Christ as soon as we can line up a baby sitter. Abe Foxman et al. have really humped the monkey on this one. Since most Christians regard the Gospels as "Gospel Truth," they've validated Alex Linder's charge that the "truth is antisemitic." I noticed they've change tack and attack the film as "rewriting the Christian mythos" which of course it doesn't.
    Last edited by Louky; Tuesday, March 16th, 2004 at 01:09 PM.
    The dyslexic devil worshipper who sold his soul to Santa

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adélaïde
    I just got back from it, too!

I liked the way they did the evil spirits (particularly the old-looking baby!) Interesting.

Other than that, it was a gore-fest (to my liking, of course ), and it seemed a bit...for lack of a better word...evangelical.
    Yeah that French skepticism is really kicking in isn't it?

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    Slavic
    Subrace
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Post Re: Mary & Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Suomut2_13
    As for Galilee, geography doesn't necessarily have anything to do with one's genetic heritage (Loki & I both can attest to this...we both have been fighting such misconceptions for years).
    Actually it does in this case, since the actual Jewish population in Galilee was extremely small. Galileens were largely a mixture of Cannanites, Phoenecians, Greeks, and such. So as to Mary's exact ethnicity I don't know(nor really care), but the chances of her being Jew in this case is very small.

. "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    @
    Status
    Available
    Ethnicity
    Religion
    +
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Lightbulb Ruth, Joseph, Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Louky
    I went to Catholic school. The nuns taught us that one of Mary's ancestresses was a gentile -- I think her name was Ruth -- who was poor and had to glean in a rich man's fields. He, a Jew, fell in love with her and married her (was his name Boas?). So, the Scripture according to the nuns of St. Rita has Mary being part Jewish and part Gentile.
    I've dealt with Mary's potential/likely genetic heritage. Ruth was a (genetic) Judahitess, although, not of the royal line. She married Boaz/Boas, who was a (genetic) Judahite of the royal line [cf. the Book of Ruth & Matthew 1:5]. They were the parents of Obed, the grandparents of Jesse, & the great-grandparents of David; and, thus, they are included (well, Boaz is, Ruth by inference) in the genealogies of both Matthew (Joseph's line) & Luke (theorically Mary's line). IMO, Mary was entirely Israelitess by blood/stock (surely a Levitess & also probably a Judahitess). I'd like to meet these nuns of St. Rita, I'm sure we would all have a high time discussing the Scriptures, even those 'officially' recognized by the Church of Rome.

Besides, doesn't Jesus have to be of the House of David in order to have fulfilled Messianic prophecy? Since Jesus's father is God (not Joseph) Joseph's lineage is irrelevant. Jews and other middle easterners trace descent through the matrilineal line, don't they?
    As for Messianic prophecy: indeed--He is this (at least symbolically) according to both the Matthew & Luke genealogies as well as other Scriptures. Indeed, Jesus was 'generated' (the Biblical Greek from Matthew 1:20, transliterated, is gennethen) by the 'Holy Spirit' not Joseph; but, just because Joseph was NOT Jesus' genetic father does not mean Joseph's genealogy is irrelevant...it is symbolically relevant/important, besides if it were irrelevant it would never have made it into Scripture. Notions of matrilineal lines being of the utmost importance are FLATLY & ABSOLUTELY un-Scriptural. There are VERY FEW matrilineal lines to be found in Biblical genealogies, e.g. often the very names of wives and mothers are completely omitted--I'm not saying this is good or bad, it's just a Scriptural fact. The modern notion that "one has to be born of a 'jewish' mother in order to be 'jewish'" is, IMO, a Scriptural perversity. That's not the only perversity either, but I digress.
    I intend to see the Passion of the Christ as soon as we can line up a baby sitter. Abe Foxman et al. have really humped the monkey on this one. Since most Christians regard the Gospels as "Gospel Truth," they've validated Alex Linder's charge that the "truth is antisemitic." I noticed they've change tack and attack the film as "rewriting the Christian mythos" which of course it doesn't.
    I imagine I'll see this movie at some point in my life, but I'm in no big rush to see it, I'm afraid I'll get angry in more ways than one. I've seen the previews, and right off the bat, I'm not happy with the actors Gibson chose to play the roles of Jesus, et al. I suspect the primary reason this movie is so 'controversial' is that it perhaps hinders the 'modern' & 'progressive drive' of the anti-Christian world. But, alas, Jesus Christ is a stumblingblock to the 'world (cosmos);' thus, as He says, in the end there "shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" [Matt. 8:12; 13:42; et al.]. I wonder what Mel Gibson would have to say to me after reading this last sentence of mine, I really do.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast