Thread: Uppsala discriminated against Swedes.

Last Online
    Thursday, April 27th, 2017 @ 04:48 PM
    Ethnicity
    estonian
    Subrace
    Eastnordid, Westbaltid admixture
    Zodiac Sign
    Sagittarius
    Politics
    Paleolibertarian Minarchist
    Religion
    Agnostic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uppsala discriminated against Swedes.

Students appeal against positive discrimination

Published: 29th November 2006 10:40 CET
    Online: http://www.thelocal.se/5643/
    Two women who were denied places on Uppsala University's law course, despite having better marks than 30 immigrant students who were given places, will have their case heard at the Supreme Court on Wednesday in a case that will have a major bearing on the future of positive discrimination in Sweden

The elite university, one of Sweden's oldest, had reserved thirty out of 300 places on its law course for students with both parents born outside Sweden.

Both the district court and the appeal court have convicted the university of racial discrimination. The Chancellor of Justice, representing the university, appealed to the Supreme Court.

The case is the first time the Supreme Court has been asked to make a ruling on ethnic quotas. The court's decision will set a precedent not only for universities but for the employment market and society as a whole, says Centrum för Rättvisa. a non-profit public interest law organization, which is handling the girls' case.

"The case is about everyone being treated equally. Uppsala University has acknowledged that this is about ethnic discrimination. Now it will be decided whether it is permitted to reserve places for particular groups to increase diversity," said Gunnar Strömmer of Centrum för Rättvisa in a statement.

Swedish law allows positive discrimination in universities when there is "strong justification." The preamble to the law states that discrimination can be allowed in cases where, for example, a man and a woman have equal merits; the woman can be given the place if the course is male-dominated.

The court of appeal ruled that setting a quota for a whole group, such as in the Uppsala case, cannot be allowed. The court also ruled that ethnic background is not a valid criteria when selecting students.

TT/The Local

http://www.thelocal.se/5643/20061129/

Uppsala discriminated against Swedes

Published: 21st December 2006 10:08 CET
    Online: http://www.thelocal.se/5871/
    Uppsala University was guilty of discrimination when it reserved places on its law course for people with immigrant backgrounds, Sweden's Supreme Court has ruled.

The university was taken to court by two women who were rejected from the programme in 2003, even though they had better marks than all 30 immigrant applicants. The pair had previously won their case in the district court and court of appeal.

The Supreme Court ruled on Thursday that the university discriminated against both women, awarding them 75,000 kronor in compensation. The state will also pay costs of 41,000 kronor.

The Supreme Court ruled that setting quotas is acceptable as long as applicants are treated equally. In this case, the immigrant applicants should have needed at least the same marks as the other applicants. The court ruled that in this case the non-Swedish applicants were ?strongly? favoured in a manner which cannot be supported by law.

Chancellor of Justice Göran Lambertz, who defended the case on behalft of the state, said the verdict leaves no room for doubt over what is legal.

"The Supreme Court has been very clear about it and we can only accept it. I don?t want to speculate whether the outcome could affect areas outside the education sector. I need first to analyse the ruling.?

Gunnar Strömmer, legal expert at Centrum för Rättvisa, a non-profit public interest law organization, states that the ruling ?leaves no doubt ? these kinds of ethnic quotas are not allowed?.

?My interpretation is that all kinds of quotas are illegal ? even gender quotas where one does not look at an individual?s merits but rather allocates places to a certain group. This was also said by the district court and the appeal court,? said Strömmer.
    TT/Melissa de Sieni

http://www.thelocal.se/5871/20061221/

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 07:37 AM
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Med
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Uppsala discriminated against Swedes.

What the hell is this?
    How can Swedes or Europeans for that matter let this happen?
    How easily do we forget when we have the ballot paper in our hands?

I have often said this and will say it again. If we let this happen then we deserve what's coming to us.

Some time ago I used to put the blame solely on the authorities for letting this happen. Encouraging it even. They are still to blame and when the time comes (yes hope springs eternal) they will pay the damages with interest.

But I have shifted the major part of the blame on to the Europeans themselves. The writing is on the wall, do something about it.

We Europeans suffer from "full belly syndrome" as a friend calls it. As long as we can watch TV on the sofa and are comfortable enough (we are not but that's what we think) we don't care.

Last Online
    Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 @ 01:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    English
    Subrace
    Lappid
    Country
    Southwest Africa Southwest Africa
    State
    Alabama Alabama
    Family
    Grandparent
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sv: Re: Uppsala discriminated against Swedes.

Quote Originally Posted by ares View Post
    What the hell is this?
    How can Swedes or Europeans for that matter let this happen?
    Well, they didn't let it happen, the school finally was considered guilty of discrimination against Swedes. I feel there's quite some tension growing on this issue in Sweden.

Account Inactive
    Last Online
    Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 @ 07:37 AM
    Subrace
    Atlanto-Med
    Country
    European Union European Union
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Uppsala discriminated against Swedes.

You are quite right Enlil but my comments were not directed towards this thread in particular but towards the mentality in Europe / USA in general.
    Towards the mentality where the university board can even consider such a thing. Are they not Swedes as well? Thank God, sanity prevailed in this case.

I believe that among the Scandinavians, Sweden is the worst hit where multiculturalism is concerned, correct me if I'm wrong.

"Swedish citizenship most sought after" or something like that... there is a thread on this i think. This won't happen if the Swedes become strict when awarding their citizenship, no? And there are many other examples of this sort of thing.

So, yes, Europeans are bringing it upon themselves.