This is a link to a well thought out talk by Samuel Francis given last month. Note the references in his talk he makes to emotionalism and the readers' responses after

http://www.amren.com/news/news04/03/04/francisar.html

Burnham concluded his book with an analogy that keeps coming to mind when discussing today, not the liberal responses to foreign communist conquests and Western decline, but the white responses to the realities, natural and social, of race.

It is as if a man, struck with a mortal disease, were able to say and to believe, as the flush of the fever spread over his face, “ Ah, the glow of health returning!”; as his flesh wasted away, “At least I am able to trim down that paunch the doctor always warned me about”; as a finger dropped off with gangrene or leprosy, “Now I won’t have that bothersome job of trimming those nails every week!”

Liberalism, Burnham concluded,

permits Western civilization to be reconciled to dissolution; and this function its formulas will enable it to serve right through to the very end, if matters turn out that way: for even if Western civilization is wholly vanquished or altogether collapses, we or our children will be able to see that ending, by the light of the principles of liberalism, not as a final defeat, but as the transition to a new and higher order in which Mankind as a whole joins in a universal civilization that has risen above the parochial distinctions and discriminations of the past.” (SoW, p. 305)

My purpose today is not to dissect the ideological and psychological construct Burnham labeled “liberalism,” but whatever its label, what he was talking about is with us yet, a mentality, now far more pervasive among whites than 1960s liberalism ever was, that reconciles the white race to dissolution and eventual extinction. It is, let me emphasize, much more a psychological phenomenon than an intellectual or philosophical one, although it makes use of intellectual and philosophical concepts to rationalize itself, concepts that often betray their irrational motivations simply by their transparent absurdity and incoherence.

And because it is essentially psychological and indeed a form of neurosis, it is a problem that we — by whom I mean people like us who read or even write for American Renaissance and similar publications — cannot adequately deal with on a rational and intellectual level.

In other words, all the scientific arguments about IQ and DNA, all the facts about the reality of race as a force of nature or as a social and political force, all the statistics about black crime, black educational failures, black poverty, and the absence of significant black accomplishments over history, all that will avail us nothing because those are rational and intellectual appeals and are easily ignored or deflected by those who are unconsciously terrified by the realities to which they relentlessly point. What we do need to do is to explore more fully what it is that lies at the root of the mental block that prevents today’s whites from confronting those realities, to discover why it is there at all and how it got there, and to find out how that block can be dissolved before the realities it hides destroy us.