Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Post Re: Does Brain size matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Razmig
    Dolphins and some whales have fairly large brains. The density of the brain and its folds is what makes human brains so complex. Also the size of the animal is supposed to have something to do with its brain mass (in Mammals). I think (it's been a long time) I remember in my first anat class that the horse brain is the most similar to a humans (In size), but a monkeys similar in complexity. All humans have the same brain (with different neural stem cell variants).
    We speak about intraspecific and not interspecific differences thats obvious I think, so whats the point about a comparison with whales?

If we think about two people with basically the same structure, neuron-density and gyri its obvious that at least in such a case size must matter.

Maybe it has not to lead to more intelligence but more potential from birth.
    Magna Europa est patria nostra
    STOP GATS! STOP LIBERALISM!

Last Online
    Friday, August 11th, 2006 @ 01:18 AM
    Country
    United States United States
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa
    We speak about intraspecific and not interspecific differences thats obvious I think, so whats the point about a comparison with whales?

If we think about two people with basically the same structure, neuron-density and gyri its obvious that at least in such a case size must matter.

Maybe it has not to lead to more intelligence but more potential from birth.
    Taking in consideration that all Humans are Animals, and all Humans are mammals, like whales and dolphins, I'd say it's worth a comparison. Brains do not form differently in species, rather they perform differently. The probable reason behind human brain evolution would be the daunting task of hunting for meat and seeking shelter. I don't think that humans have different brain capacities, as no human head/brain is that different from anothers. Perhaps dolichocephalics have more folds in their brains? I wish I hadn't sold my anatomy books!

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Monday, January 31st, 2011 @ 10:22 PM
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

(d) people with IQs appreciably below the population mean of 100
    should not be studied
    Thats very funny too, because it would mean to ignore the most Negrids.

Really this "arguments" against a direct comparison are so weak and just politically motivated that it is just ridiculous.

(c) subjects should not vary in prenatal and nutritional history
    That makes sence but just for the comparison of races and not for the question if brain size matters. Because whatever the reason, if the brain is bigger and the intelligence higher it is a correlation no matter which caused it.

(b) analyses should be conducted separately within sex
    Thats good too, because its a theme on its own like the article suggests too.
    Very interesting arguments which strengthened my personal view on this theme.

But there is much more to do and not all questions are answered so far...we are just at the beginning.
    One thing is already obvious, the "just environmental" and "color/race blind" marxist/liberal view is severe damaged and only some "political correct" or indoctrinated people still believe in this shit.

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Taking in consideration that all Humans are Animals, and all Humans are mammals, like whales and dolphins, I'd say it's worth a comparison. Brains do not form differently in species, rather they perform differently. The probable reason behind human brain evolution would be the daunting task of hunting for meat and seeking shelter. I don't think that humans have different brain capacities, as no human head/brain is that different from anothers. Perhaps dolichocephalics have more folds in their brains? I wish I hadn't sold my anatomy books!
    I would suggest to buy some basic biologically literature first...

Brains do form differently in Species. The brain of a Dolphin f.e., although big, is formed much more primitive than the human brain.

Like I said structure is very important between completely different Species and maybe individuals/races in mankind too.

If the structure is basically the same size matters and there are big differences in head/brain size.
    The question is just if this differences are based not just on individual but also racial differences - the answer is yes.

The other question is, if this differences (individuals and groups) are caused by genetic or environmental factors (f.e. nutrition is important).

I think its never just one reason but everytime both.

Now we work on the issue to determine how big the genetic input is if we talking about brainsize and intelligence.

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would suggest to buy some basic biologically literature first...

Brains do form differently in Species. The brain of a Dolphin f.e., although big, is formed much more primitive than the human brain.

Like I said structure is very important between completely different Species and maybe individuals/races in mankind too.

If the structure is basically the same size matters and there are big differences in head/brain size.
    The question is just if this differences are based not just on individual but also racial differences - the answer is yes.

The other question is, if this differences (individuals and groups) are caused by genetic or environmental factors (f.e. nutrition is important).

I think its never just one reason but everytime both.

Now we work on the issue to determine how big the genetic input is if we talking about brainsize and intelligence.
    species = race...typo....i have one more semester left for completion of premed (org. bio)
    differenciality developes in the individuals life (where hes raised, his environment, etc) if the son of a bushman was raised like a suburban white boy, his brain would then form like that of a suburban white boy...there is no difference in the capacity of human brains, nothing to affect potential IQ levels...thats an absolute lie

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

species = race...typo....i have one more semester left for completion of premed (org. bio)
    differenciality developes in the individuals life (where hes raised, his environment, etc) if the son of a bushman was raised like a suburban white boy, his brain would then form like that of a suburban white boy...there is no difference in the capacity of human brains, nothing to affect potential IQ levels...thats an absolute lie
    Your problem is that you believe to much what the political corrects saying without proving it.

Species = Race just in the damned fucking Anthropology of the Jewish-Anthro in USrael!!!

The idea of a "Human race" is a big, one of the biggest lies on that matter!

Before the 2nd World war no serious and intelligent Anthropologue was speaking of a human race (at least not in the serious scientific community) and almost everyone considered the Neandertaler being a Species on its own.
    Maybe with the same relation like horse and donkey or lion and tiger f.e.
    (mixture is possible but there are no fertile children)

Just the leftiest and very phantastic anthropologists were speaking of a "Human race" like it is still happening mostly in US because this term is even religious meant sometimes...
    The "Human race" blabla...nothing than shit!

Nothing changed on the scientific view after 1945 but the US liberal/leftiest and some Marxists wanted to change everything, not with scientific but mostly with political arguments.
    They made it in many parts, right, but that didnt changed the truth!

And today it is even more clear that the humans can be divided into races like it was some decades ago because of the newest genetical foundings.
    If you speak about humans in the same way like any other animal than there must be races at least the great races (Europid, Mongolid, Negrid, Australid)

In the animal world oftentimes even groups considered as species which can procreate themselves successful if just together and only geographic barriers stop them from doing so usually.

Then to consider the Humans as "race" is a damned lie and political motivated view on the biological differences of mankind.

BTW especially the brain of the Khoisanids is quite different and more primitive than that of Europids or Mongolids.
    That doesnt mean that there couldnt be intelligent individuals in this race, but the definitely got another brain structure not only caused by environmental factors.

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Your problem is that you believe to much what the political corrects saying without proving it.

Species = Race just in the damned fucking Anthropology of the Jewish-Anthro in USrael!!!

The idea of a "Human race" is a big, one of the biggest lies on that matter!

Before the 2nd World war no serious and intelligent Anthropologue was speaking of a human race (at least not in the serious scientific community) and almost everyone considered the Neandertaler being a Species on its own.
    Maybe with the same relation like horse and donkey or lion and tiger f.e.
    (mixture is possible but there are no fertile children)

Just the leftiest and very phantastic anthropologists were speaking of a "Human race" like it is still happening mostly in US because this term is even religious meant sometimes...
    The "Human race" blabla...nothing than shit!

Nothing changed on the scientific view after 1945 but the US liberal/leftiest and some Marxists wanted to change everything, not with scientific but mostly with political arguments.
    They made it in many parts, right, but that didnt changed the truth!

And today it is even more clear that the humans can be divided into races like it was some decades ago because of the newest genetical foundings.
    If you speak about humans in the same way like any other animal than there must be races at least the great races (Europid, Mongolid, Negrid, Australid)

In the animal world oftentimes even groups considered as species which can procreate themselves successful if just together and only geographic barriers stop them from doing so usually.

Then to consider the Humans as "race" is a damned lie and political motivated view on the biological differences of mankind.

BTW especially the brain of the Khoisanids is quite different and more primitive than that of Europids or Mongolids.
    That doesnt mean that there couldnt be intelligent individuals in this race, but the definitely got another brain structure not only caused by environmental factors.
    Why would the "Jews" lie in this case? They are amongst, if not, one of the most intelligent peoples of the world. If you consider them a "race."

Last Online
    Sunday, November 5th, 2006 @ 10:46 PM
    Subrace
    Nordid
    Country
    Confederate States Confederate States
    Family
    Newly wed
    Occupation
    Political Scientist
    Politics
    Racial Communitarian
    Religion
    Neoplatonic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Women have smaller brains I believe as well, but they are organized differently. The skull can also be deformed too. It was a common practice among the Hunnic women at one time for example. It just goes to show that skull shape and brain size, while important, are not everything and should be viewed within context.
    The Phora

"There are no principles; there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior man espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them. If there were principles and fixed laws, nations would not change them as we change our shirts and a man can not be expected to be wiser than an entire nation."
    —Honoré de Balzac

Progressive Collectivist
    "Friend of Germanics"
    Skadi Funding Member

Last Online
    Ethnicity
    German
    Subrace
    Atlantid
    Progressive Collectivist
    Religion
    Catholic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FadeTheButcher
    Women have smaller brains I believe as well, but they are organized differently. The skull can also be deformed too. It was a common practice among the Hunnic women at one time for example. It just goes to show that skull shape and brain size, while important, are not everything and should be viewed within context.
    You are basically right.
    What you said about the female brain is also something noticed in this article and many others.

But the practise of deformation is something very special and shouldnt be brought as an example for this question.
    First the consequences of extreme deformations are not very good examined and secondly I think that the volume of the skull is not changed dramatically, just the form of it.
    Just think about a brachycephalic and a dolichocephalic individual with the same capacity.
    But however its not a very good example even if I would say too that brainsize is not the only, or even the most important factor for intelligence or certain abilities.

Structure is more important. But as I stated before, if you got two individuals with basically the same structure it seems unlikely that size doesnt matter.

Last Online
    Country
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FadeTheButcher
    larger muscle mass = larger brains
    does anyone here have a degree of some sort?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast